Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OS install ...partion vs seperate physical drive.

Options
  • 13-10-2010 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I'm putting together a home server now.

I plan on having a multi terabyte RAID-5 array for storing multimedia.

Just wondering about a drive for the OS install. I could just partition off a part of the large array for the OS or else I could add 2 small drives and put them in RAID-1.

There's something nice about having the OS installed on a seperate physical disk to my main storage volume but is there really a need?

Opinions please..

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

techguy wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I'm putting together a home server now.

I plan on having a multi terabyte RAID-5 array for storing multimedia.

Just wondering about a drive for the OS install. I could just partition off a part of the large array for the OS or else I could add 2 small drives and put them in RAID-1.

There's something nice about having the OS installed on a seperate physical disk to my main storage volume but is there really a need?

Opinions please..

Cheers!
    If you got about 100 quid to spare drop in a nice SSD for OS only. Can find last gen models on special for 70 upwards if you shop around.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

If you could squeeze the OS partition into 32GB you could nab a fast Corsair Nova for just €65 off Komplett while they're still going cheap ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

I wouldn't be very comfortable with 32GB tbh.

There's not a lo of head room there for extras really. I'd want at least 50GB for the OS.

Thanks for link..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Personally I'd prefer having a RAID 1 partition across the disks for the OS install and then a RAID 5 for the data partition. Having an SSD would be nice, but I don't really see the advantage unless you are using the server as a web/database server and doing a lot of lookups (or transferring a lot of small files). I really don't see any advantage in using two normal harddrives above a partition, much better off using the extra money & sata ports for an extra large harddrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭Nollog

techguy wrote: »
    I wouldn't be very comfortable with 32GB tbh.

There's not a lo of head room there for extras really. I'd want at least 50GB for the OS.

Thanks for link..

You don't have to install programs into the program files directory you know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

I know that, and I usually move the my documents folder to main storage volume.

I still think doesn't leave much flexibility though..

Advertisement