Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone suggest a good book to read?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

Ush1 wrote: »
    I don't like fiction. I like comedy, autobiographies, some science but mainly true crime books. Anything with serial killers or the mafia and I'm hooked.

mr nice and midnight express

you'd love both of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Sharkey 10

read the "cosa nostra" its about the siclian mafia , it really explains how much polical power they had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Anything by john grisham or kathy reich

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I don't like fiction. I like comedy, autobiographies, some science but mainly true crime books. Anything with serial killers or the mafia and I'm hooked.

Sorry, I could recommend fiction and science books. I find crime stories indescribably boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Ozzy Osbourne Autobiography. I just finished it, it's very funny. Only the last chapter is about "The Osbournes" etc. The rest is good rock 'n' roll madness!

More serious read: Lost Child of Philomena Lee by Martin Sixsmith

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

Billy Connolly's autobiography is a good one and a bit surprising. Another good one is David Attenbourgh's.
    For crime The Ice Man is a gory mafia one, the guy is off his tits - its both biography and crime :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Shenshen wrote: »
    Sorry, I could recommend fiction and science books. I find crime stories indescribably boring.
    Trust me, you won't find "Cops" by Mark Baker very boring.
    Its a collection of hundreds of stories (sometimes a few sentences, most times a few paragraphs) from cops from one side of America to the other.
    You read about the terrible depressions some suffer like one who found a young dead baby up in a tree after it flew through a window in a car crash, to others who were coming to terms with getting shot and some how survived.

I've read both his books and I can honestly say that they are two books that once you start into them, its impossible to put them down.

http://www.amazon.com/Cops-Mark-Baker/dp/0671685511

http://www.amazon.com/Nam-Vietnam-Words-Abacus-Books/dp/0349102392/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1287045878&sr=1-2

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Shakeandbake!

The Outfit by Gus Russo - The story of the Chicago Mob

Five Families by Selwyn Raab - The NYC Mafia

Two excellent, well researched books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Penthouse and Playboy.

All those lovely diddies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭MingulayJohnny

Hellraisers , The life and inebriated times of Richard Burton , Richard Harris , Peter O ' Toole & Oliver Reed. Insightful , tragic but mostly funny tales. By Robert Sellers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

'ceasar' by adrian goldsworthy. i gaurantee you will never read a better historical biography, it is a stunning book about one of history's greatest men

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Thanks, might be too high brow in there for me though.:p
    Give it a try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Shantaram
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shantaram_(novel)

Based on true live story of Australian who broke out of prison and eventually ended up helping the afghans in their fight against the soviets, epic book

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

I enjoyed the Dexter series of books - there are 4 if I remember correctly. Much darker than the TV series. I know that's not true crime but it is about a serial killer.

The Miracle Life of Edgar Mint was quite a funny book but with some darker moments.

Boobar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Maybe not the OP if they are not into fiction, but someone else may like it: anything by James Lee Burke, crime novels set in Louisiana. He has a very colourful and descriptive writing style, you can almost smell the swamp and hear the crickets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

Terry Pratchett's Nightwatch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭MOSSAD

A good pal of mine has just brought out her life story.
    She's Chinese-American born and raised in New York,and her life story is quite something else. The book has just been released and here's a Youtube link.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8s1fD_dcayY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Black Diamonds by Catherine Bailey

The title refers to coal, that was a name given to coal

How a billionaire family lost everything
    Lawyers got rich though ;)

If you ever watched Downton Abbey, that kind of scene

It's a true story though

Advertisement