Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to sleep in Dublin Airport

Options
  • 14-10-2010 12:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭

Due to unfortunate circumstances, I found myself having to bed down in dublin airport the other night.for 7 hours..(feck aer lingus), but on going up to the mezzanine level..food and drink,,at 1 am, all the good seats were taken, by about 30 people..so I was fecked. Eventually got a "bed" and tried to get to sleep, only to be constantly woken by a little baulox working in a cafe that was not doing any business, and that had at least another 70 chairs, who kept waking me up and telling me to go to a hotel..when I challenged him he said he would contact airport police..I said fire away as I wanted to talk to them anyway..he never did, and after talking to the guards in the am...they said they would have been delighted to talk to the little baulix...Anyone else have probs there?

Oops, too much type for AH, I do apologise!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I've become a dab hand at sleeping in airports. Gimma a dark corner and enoug floor for a 6'2'' 125kg body & I'll sleep through world war's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭google faps

I've become a dab hand at sleeping in airports. Gimma a dark corner and enoug floor for a 6'2'' 125kg body & I'll sleep through world war's.
    Yeah, as long as the body is concealed, I can always sleep. Less fear of being caught or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

had to sleep in barcelona airport coming up on 3 weeks ago, was en route from ibiza so add the hangover and comedown of a lifetime into the mix and you have the worst 24 hours of my life.no chairs, just got a towel out of my suitcase to keep me warm and tried to sleep on the floor.didnt help there was a homeless woman hanging about too.

wouldnt wish it on anyone (think the hangover and comedown made it ten times worse to be fair)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Gue yourself upright in a chair and paint eyeballs on your eyelids to fool the jobsworth in the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

How did you get stranded in the airport?

-Funk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

I wish Irish hotels would offer day rooms like these ones in Japan. You can pay by the hour which is useful if you want to get a few hours sleep before catching an early flight or if you are waiting for a connecting flight.

http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/guide/service/list/svc_37.html

• Registered Users Posts: 13,443 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I used to carry a fleece blanket that wraps up really small for just these occasions. Great to have for delayed flights after a day spent just getting to the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

kowloon wrote: »
    I used to carry a fleece blanket that wraps up really small for just these occasions. Great to have for delayed flights after a day spent just getting to the airport.
    Now aka "a slanket":pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Sharkey 10

df1985 wrote: »
    had to sleep in barcelona airport coming up on 3 weeks ago, was en route from ibiza so add the hangover and comedown of a lifetime into the mix and you have the worst 24 hours of my life.no chairs, just got a towel out of my suitcase to keep me warm and tried to sleep on the floor.didnt help there was a homeless woman hanging about too.

wouldnt wish it on anyone (think the hangover and comedown made it ten times worse to be fair)
    I feel your pain its bad enough being in public in that situation let alone an airport

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

I'm fairly sure I'v met that little bollix at the airport, but your story reminds me of a time when I booked into the West County. Room was specially booked from 9am to 6 pm. Do not disturb sign on door, but the cleaning lady kept knocking on the door even after I complained to reception.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

2 stroke wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure I'v met that little bollix at the airport, but your story reminds me of a time when I booked into the West County. Room was specially booked from 9am to 6 pm. Do not disturb sign on door, but the cleaning lady kept knocking on the door even after I complained to reception.
    Strip of all clothes.
    Open door to cleaner.
    Problem flees down hotel corridor.
    :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

• Registered Users Posts: 11,350 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Mrmoe wrote: »
    I wish Irish hotels would offer day rooms like these ones in Japan. You can pay by the hour which is useful if you want to get a few hours sleep before catching an early flight or if you are waiting for a connecting flight.

wouldn't work here, would end up like those hourly motels in the states and you don't get any sleep in those :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

Should have gone to me ma's house a mile from the airport. Flannel sheets, a hot water bottle and a brekkie......would have cost you 20 bills.....that includes a grope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

Have them in Amsterdam airport too...right beside macdonalds. After a long weekend over there...it could not be a more perfect combination.

Heaven.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Sleep is for the week! That's when the airport terrorists get you.

Coffeecoffeecoffeecoffee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Spent a night in Roma Fiumicino

Kicked out of one terminal by security as they lockup for the night, fair enough.

All the good places taken in the next terminal

They have wide windowsills that many were sleeping so tried that but people kept walking by. And hard wood isn't comfortable.

Eventually got a metal bench in a corner.
    The place is draughty and cold too.

Horrible airport to try to sleep in, I hope OP that Dublin airport is better

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭SoulTrader

Gatwick Airport has a pretty nice one, the Yotel.

I stayed there, and overslept, nearly missed my flight:o

http://www.yotel.com/gatwickhotels.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

df1985 wrote: »

Hangover + comedown = A little slice of hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

Could never sleep around strangers. I have trust issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

why don't the hotels near the airport send someone up at about midnight and offer the people sleeping about a room only at a good discount? surely it'd be good business to have more rooms full.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

I’ve slept in a couple of different airports for different reasons and the thing that I was most worried about is getting robed while I slept. I think airports often make it as difficult for you to sleep in them as possible the seating is nearly always designed so that you can’t lay down across them and the lighting is always really bright and harsh. I normally sleep with my head on my hand luggage in as out of the way place as possible.

They should have completely reclinable seats with a built in vibrating alarm and a lockable compartment under them that you can pay as small fee to use. Could be a nice little earner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Slept a few hours on the floor of dublin Airport before. Didnt have any problems, except the tiled floor.

Me and a bunch of mates slept a night in Zurich airport one night, in a nice corner that was secluded and had seats to ly out on. Cue us waking up in the morning with a bunch of pissed off swiss people standing there looking at us. turns out it was a bus waiting area and we were taking all the seats :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

ha yeah! same. i even have a technique for keeping hold of bags :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Last winter I missed a flight from Paris to Martinique and decided to stay in Charles de Gaulle to wait for the next flight. I eventually scoped out a nice warm, quiet spot to grab some sleep. Just as I was drifting off I was rudely interrupted by 3 gendarmes pointing guns at me.

I was so tired that I hadn't noticed that the spot that I'd chosen was almost directly opposite the El Al Airlines check-in!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Gyalist wrote: »
    Last winter I missed a flight from Paris to Martinique and decided to stay in Charles de Gaulle to wait for the next flight. I eventually scoped out a nice warm, quiet spot to grab some sleep. Just as I was drifting off I was rudely interrupted by 3 gendarmes pointing guns at me.

I was so tired that I hadn't noticed that the spot that I'd chosen was almost directly opposite the El Al Airlines check-in!

I doubt they actually drew on you now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

I doubt they actually drew on you now.

They did! With permanent marker too! A nasty little Hitler moustache and a swastika on his forehead...

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭drunkymonkey

Any word on the sleeping conditions in Zurich or Heathrow???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I don't get why some Airports don't have rooms to sleep in. There was a good one in Seoul where there were mats on a floor in a dim room, and it also had a sauna in it for some reason. It was great to get a few hours kip in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭fakearms123

Had to sleep in Dublin airport before, it wasn't the best experience of my life but once my arms fold in place I am out for the count, I slept through a storm out in a field in belgium the night before Rock Werchter, I had slid down a hill in the rain apparently, can't really remember, they dragged me back up the hill into a tent

Advertisement