Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

do this in memory of me (IMMOM)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

lynski wrote: »
    BTW you do know that now your child can't get out, even when they turn 18, the RCC has us all for life now.

Not true as said elsewhere- www.countmeout.ie In fairness if you want to bring your kids to that kind of made up stuff every week then you should be able to sit in it yourself for a day. Our morals are integral in our nature and can be confirmed by our parents teachings. The bible stole our morals obviously and gave us some rather strange ones in addition- eg thou shalt not think about xy and z? Your kids may hate you in the long run, theres no excuse these days its not compulsory we have a choice. Lying to children about the BIG questions is tantamount to child abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

I was afraid there for a while that I was the worst & only 'hypocrite' in the country ;).

I agree with earlier posters about the 18 years age limit. It is arbitrary and may very well lead to unintended consequences. However, my wife & I did not make that decision in isolation, we talked through the whole thing & this is part of the overall solution that we came up with.

Even though I am a non-religious person myself, I think that religious education for children is not a bad thing, and may possibly be a good thing. There is a certain amount of humbug, but it does include sound social teaching about sharing, telling the truth, respecting others etc. Of course that is neither strictly necessary nor solely sufficient for a child's moral development, but I think it may perhaps reinforce it.

Due to limited availability of choices, for many families engaging with the RCC is a matter of convenience/path of least resistance/ accessibility to better schools/ fear of a child feeling left out or isolated/ etc.

For me these 'convenience' factors loomed large in our family decision. For my wife, it would have had much more to do with culture/conviction.

I could, perhaps, have insisted on our children not being baptised etc., but that would have left no room for my wife's beliefs.

I could steadfastly refuse to attend all masses & religious services.In fact, I attend very few. The occasional wedding/funeral, and mass with the family on Christmas day ( which all present understand is a gesture of solidarity with them on my part , and not done out of religious conviction). To not attend my child's holy communion would be bloody-minded on my part.

So, while nobody likes being called a hypocrite, I may well be engaging in hypocritical behaviour when I turn up at mass for my childs first communion/confirmation/ whatever. I don't believe I am though.

- FoxT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

FoxT wrote: »
    I was afraid there for a while that I was the worst & only 'hypocrite' in the country ;).

I agree with earlier posters about the 18 years age limit. It is arbitrary and may very well lead to unintended consequences. However, my wife & I did not make that decision in isolation, we talked through the whole thing & this is part of the overall solution that we came up with.

Even though I am a non-religious person myself, I think that religious education for children is not a bad thing, and may possibly be a good thing. There is a certain amount of humbug, but it does include sound social teaching about sharing, telling the truth, respecting others etc. Of course that is neither strictly necessary nor solely sufficient for a child's moral development, but I think it may perhaps reinforce it.

Due to limited availability of choices, for many families engaging with the RCC is a matter of convenience/path of least resistance/ accessibility to better schools/ fear of a child feeling left out or isolated/ etc.

For me these 'convenience' factors loomed large in our family decision. For my wife, it would have had much more to do with culture/conviction.

I could, perhaps, have insisted on our children not being baptised etc., but that would have left no room for my wife's beliefs.

I could steadfastly refuse to attend all masses & religious services.In fact, I attend very few. The occasional wedding/funeral, and mass with the family on Christmas day ( which all present understand is a gesture of solidarity with them on my part , and not done out of religious conviction). To not attend my child's holy communion would be bloody-minded on my part.

So, while nobody likes being called a hypocrite, I may well be engaging in hypocritical behaviour when I turn up at mass for my childs first communion/confirmation/ whatever. I don't believe I am though.

- FoxT

Im baffled as to why this weighs so heavily on people. I know people who grew up in mixed religions and celebrated hannukah and christmas, or had a catholic and protestant parent. Often both were recognised and, yes you can have a briss if I can have a christmas tree compromises were made.

Advertisement