Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

In Game Vs Concept/Box Art

• 14-10-2010 12:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭

I realised the other day that the thing i missed most about 64 bit and under is how what was in the game looked nothing like what was on the box.

I kinda got off on the differences or when you found a picture of what something was supposed to look like in the booklet and how they tried to interpret they're vision in the game... then there are the really ancient games, with cover art thats just off the wall.

My personal notables include.

The Cartridge cover of Yars Revenge which seemed to have nothing in common with the in game graphics.
    c_YarsRevenge_Picture_front.jpgyars.jpg

And In-game ridley versus concept ridley from the first metroid
    Metroid_Boss_Ridley.gifMetroid_12.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

But this was always the way, graphic artists imaginations in complete discord with what the console could actually do.
    But then you get time when it's even better than the concept art,
    for example, Lemmings.
    The cover art was this
    Lemmings_qjgenth.jpg
    And in-game it was like this,
    lemming-animated.gif
    Much better

For reference, a real lemming looks like this!
    lemming-tm.jpg?w=350&h=262

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,392 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I always thought Yar's Revenge was quite a good cover seeing as your ship does look like a little insect.

And I LOVE the animations in Lemmings. There's something lovable about this little guys.

The best example of this that will never be topped is Phalanx on the Snes-

Oh look a shooter!!

23w6wdt.jpg

Hillbilly with a banjo? Sense, this makes none -

phalanx2.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Thats bloody brilliant!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

More Hobo's on game covers!
    Imagine how many more copies of Rise of the Robots would have been sold if an old dude soaked in his own urine was on the cover, with a tenor sax by his side!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    More Hobo's on game covers!
    Imagine how many more copies of Rise of the Robots would have been sold if an old dude soaked in his own urine was on the cover, with a tenor sax by his side!

I wont expect to see your good self at the next Seasick Steve gig then? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,392 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I was thanked by someone called Banjo Fella?

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

o1s1n wrote: »
    I was thanked by someone called Banjo Fella?

:eek:

Clearly the chap on that snes box is a boardsie, he must be really pushing on now though. You have to commend his keeping up with the times - well done banjo fella :cool:

Advertisement