Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Best XI that Trap will never pick.

• 14-10-2010 1:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭

We are all aware of the man's selection preferences, whether or not we agree with them. He looks for hard-working players rather than pacey/flashy guys. He plays a defence minded game (and then goes on to consistently name Paul McShane in the squad for important matches!).

So, in your opinion, what is our best XI that has never played (and is unlikely to ever play) under Trappatoni. Almost, any player who has earned a cap since he took the reins is DSQ (the likes of Foley who were given a run out and then dropped never to return), as are those that are retired or Steven Ireland.

GK: Given is the best shout by a mile, and I'm drawing a blank as to others who fit the criteria.

DEF: Coleman was in the squad for the last 2 qualifiers, but was never going to get on the pitch. The aforementioned Foley is quality. O'Shea and Dunne are two great players who shouldn't be dropped (I do have reservations about St. Ledger), but the purposes of this exercise, Ward and AN Other.

MID: Andy Reid is one. Jamie O'Hara, last I heard, wanted to declare. McCarthy deserves a shout. I've also heard great things about Jay O'Shea, never seen him play, though.

ATT: Stokes.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

tolosenc wrote: »
    any player who has earned a cap since he took the reins is DSQ

McCarthy deserves a shout.

McCarthy has earned a cap since he took the reins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Jamie O'Hara, last I heard, wanted to declare.

Fook off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

With no caps under Trap -

Murphy

Coleman
    Ward
    Bruce (?)
    Wilson

Ireland
    Garvan
    Hoolahan
    O'Hara (if he's keen)

Stokes (?)
    Walters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

GK: Doyle/Henderson (Westwood is the only alternative to Given but has been already capped under Trap)

DF: Clark, Ward, Coleman, Towell (Delap(has he officially retired?), Duffy)

MF: Reid, Wilson, O'Brien, Meyler (Carey, McDermott)

FW: Stokes, Walters (Clarke)

Xavi6 wrote: »
    With no caps under Trap -

Bruce (?)
    Hoolahan

Bruce played v Poland and Serbia in 2008, Hoolahan got a cap against Colombia at Craven Cottage in Trap's 2nd game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Bruce? Christ no, he's not that good

and coleman will make his debut so long as he's fit vs Norway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Wouldnt really see Bruce as an improvement tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,511 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

I've also heard great things about Jay O'Shea, never seen him play, though.

Ok I took your post semi-seriously until this bit. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Is Stephen Reid worth tempting out of retirement, or is he still crocked these days?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

O' Hara has pretty much said he wants to play for England AFAIK

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

O' Hara has pretty much said he wants to play for England AFAIK

Yeah, I'm sure I heard him saying hes the next generation or something along those lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Is Stephen Reid worth tempting out of retirement, or is he still crocked these days?

He would definitely be a massive boost to the team but I don't think it would be possible to tempt him back to international football tbh. He must feel like he's hanging on to his professional career by the skin of his wafer thin cruciate ligaments at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Has O' Dea been capped under Trap? Looked like he had a bright future a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

Has O' Dea been capped under Trap? Looked like he had a bright future a couple of years ago.

He has came on as a sub a couple of times. 23 now - doesn't look like he'll cut it as a top class defender but I'm sure he'll pick up games for us again in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

David Forde, ex Galway Utd, Derry City, West Ham reserve, and now Milwall no. 1 deserved a shot all this time.

A good keeper, playing well this season too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Quotes from Reid today -
    I made the decision, but not ruling it out in future. I haven’t spoken to the manager, but if there was a desperate need, and a few injuries, then who knows. But until I get the phone call...

Quotes from Reid today -
    Jaysus fair play to his commitment. He's putting his career in added jeopordy if he plays the international games. He should get a medal if he ever lines out again.

No chance of Trap calling him up again though I would guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

Buffon

Maicon
    Vidic
    Pique
    A. Cole

Ronaldo
    Essien
    Xavi
    Messi

Iniesta

Villa

Can't see Trap picking this XI anytime soon :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Pro. F wrote: »
    Jaysus fair play to his commitment. He's putting his career in added jeopordy if he plays the international games. He should get a medal if he ever lines out again.

No chance of Trap calling him up again though I would guess.

I remember hoping that he'd finally turned a corner when we played the opening two WC qualifiers, against Georgia and Montenegro. He was imperious.

Quotes from Reid today -

Be a fantastic option to have as he could play right rull, centre midfield or right flank. Gotta be a better option than Whelan/Green/Gibson in CM anyday.

That said, he's nearly 30. Wont hold my breath.

• Advertisement

I remember hoping that he'd finally turned a corner when we played the opening two WC qualifiers, against Georgia and Montenegro. He was imperious.

Yeah, the team really worked well with him in it. I remember I was so optimistic about our chances back then. Then Reid got injured and we've had serious problems ever since :(

If Fahey, McCarthy or whoever can just do a job in the centre I'll be so happy. The sooner Trap tries them out and stops picking Green and thinking Whelan is untouchable the better.

Be a fantastic option to have as he could play right rull, centre midfield or right flank.

Just like in CM 01/02, always a good player to snap up early on from Millwall. He can play anywhere, even up front so perfect utility player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Kyle Naughton would worth a shout.
    O'Hara won't happen.

Caleb Folan deserves a chance too IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

We all dream of a team of -

Breen

Breen
    Breen
    Breen
    Breen

Breen
    Breen
    Breen
    Breen

Breen

Breen

:pac:

Doocey wrote: »
    Caleb Folan deserves a chance too IMO.

If Trap is gonna persist with hoofing the ball then surely Folan should get a chance as an impact sub at the very least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Dante

Bring Gary Doherty out of retirement, we have struggled to find new top quality lanky, balding, positionally confused players of his class since he left....Although, if Richie Dunne keeps making appearances up front as he did against Russia and Slovakia, he may do the job. Just my two cents...

Advertisement