Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Giro di Lombardia (now with spoilers)

• 14-10-2010 1:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭

Predictions? On this Saturday on Eurosport. Nice summary here. Start list.
    Gesink is not riding due to family reasons, pity as he has been in great form for the past month as has our own Dan Martin. Martin opted out of the worlds as he has targeted this race all year and he has a good chance of being in contention at the end. 260 km makes it a true Monument with some tough climbs, my only concern is he might not have the power to stay away if he gets over the last climb on his own. Hope I'm wrong.

Gilbert won last year with an awesome dispaly of power but I think he may have peaked at the Vuelta/Worlds. Didn't show at Paris Tours but you can never count him out, might be jet lag. Kolobnev likes the course, Brajkovic is going well and Nibali still has good form after Spain. Evans has travelled back for it and should be stirring things at the end but my pick is for Pozzato to get it right this time!(not that my predictions have been too hot this season :pac:) It should be a great race

I don't know why Frank Schleck is not riding as he seemed to be coming into good form in the Vuelta and Worlds?
    Anybody know why Roche is not on the starting list and why Cunego is not riding ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

gotta be dan

(or contador is he riding :p heard he's quite good)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Roche is on holidays, Gesink isn't riding it and Dan Martin has good form coming into it, however they will keep an eye on him since coming 2nd to Gesink during the last week, the problem for Dan is that the last major climb comes 40k from the finish climb, if he goes there and Gilbert or any of the other favourites are still together and organise a chase he could be done for. There is another climb to the finish but I don't think it's as selective, although coming at the end of the race it could very well be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

As Sy says this is a pretty good field. Agree also with JNR that the run in is too long for DM. Would love to see him do well (wondering were his solo breaks in ToB a practice run maybe?)M

I think Evans, being lead out by Gilbert???

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭goldencleric

Cmon Pippo get it right this time for once! ... pity he missed out on the WC jersey

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭goldencleric

actually looking at the Saxo Bank team Andy Schleck could be a big contender

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I think Gilbert is the man to watch again on Saturday, but I'd agree with Sy in wondering whether he's going off the boil at this stage. He had to peak earlier this year because of the worlds.

I like the look of Evans for this one. He was in great form at the Worlds and this race suits him. Samuel Sanchez is another one in the mix. Maybe Visconti and Nibali too.

I think Dan Martin should fancy his chances. Yes, the big climbs finish 40km from the end but San Fermo di Battaglia shouldn't be underestimated for a selection. The race is usually won by punchy climbers who can sprint and Martin can do both.
    sy wrote: »
    Anybody know why Roche is not on the starting list and why Cunego is not riding ?

Cunego decided to close his season a few weeks ago. Two grand tours this year and he said he had nothing left.
    Cmon Pippo get it right this time for once! ... pity he missed out on the WC jersey

Not Pozzato's kind of race really. With Katusha it'd be more Rodriguez and Kolobnev who'd be suited to it. Rodriguez only decided to race at the last minute and said he's still tired from the Vuelta, so I'd be watching Kolobnev.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

My shortlist:
    Evans
    Scarponi
    Martin
    Kolobnev
    Nibali

Of those, I think Kolobnev might be the one to get away with a couple of km to go.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Shane Stokes has an interview with Dan Martin today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

great wasnt sure if I missed this one already :)

Gilbert won the Gran del Piedmonte today, second year running. Maybe the form is still there after all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Why has no one mentioned Joaquin Rodriguez?

dave2pvd wrote: »
    Why has no one mentioned Joaquin Rodriguez?

Ahem ;)
    el tonto wrote: »
    With Katusha it'd be more Rodriguez and Kolobnev who'd be suited to it. Rodriguez only decided to race at the last minute and said he's still tired from the Vuelta, so I'd be watching Kolobnev.

Do you reckon Joaquin will whack 'em?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Any excuse to use this picture of Sean Kelly winning his first classic at the 1983 Tour of Lombardy :D

Lomb_1983_3.jpg

Close one.......

just in case anyone doesnt know eurosport

14:45 CYCLING
    Live Cycling: Tour of Lombardy (90min)

highlights
    21:30 CYCLING
    Cycling: Tour of Lombardy (60min)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

RobFowl wrote: »
    Any excuse to use this picture of Sean Kelly winning his first classic at the 1983 Tour of Lombardy :D

Lomb_1983_3.jpg

Close one.......
    Love this photo and nice details on the full story here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Giro di Lombardia start to be delayed by rider strike

I'm not sure what point Gilbert et al are trying to make here. This is all it brings to my mind:

pantani_tour_1998.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

Current betting
    http://www.skybet.com/betting/cycling/giro-di-lombardia/giro-di-lombardia/e12509446.html

My prediction. Gilbert (2-1 - ridiculous odds).
    Outside bet - Greg Van Avermaet

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Funkyzeit wrote: »
    Current betting
    http://www.skybet.com/betting/cycling/giro-di-lombardia/giro-di-lombardia/e12509446.html

My prediction. Gilbert (2-1 - ridiculous odds).
    Outside bet - Greg Van Avermaet

11/4 on paddypower. I went Dan Martin E/W at 12/1 to make it interesting.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

niceonetom wrote: »
    Giro di Lombardia start to be delayed by rider strike

I'm not sure what point Gilbert et al are trying to make here. This is all it brings to my mind:

He wants to challenge the assertion that all professional cyclists are dopers.

Is it a good way to do it? I don't know but it's getting attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

The protest has been called off.
    The riders’ protest, which was to delay the start of tomorrow’s Giro di Lombardia by 10 minutes, has been called off, according to tuttobiciweb.it. Instead the riders will wear stickers on their helmets to register their solidarity in the face of comments from Etorre Torri, the chief anti-doping prosecutor of the Italian Olympic committee (CONI

Read more: http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/6031/Giro-di-Lombardia-riders-protest-against-Torris-comments-called-off.aspx#ixzz12VR9XBY5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

I'm going to go with Nibali, that climb near the end will suit for a breakaway, and the very last climb would suit for that final dash to the line, also hoping Dan-the-man does well, it would be a magnificent win for him if he did, and top off a great year also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

if anyone spots a stream for this :)

Bah, no sign of it starting on Eurosport yet

Rok On's link has it though, bonus pts if you can speak dutch :)

Watching it in Italian online

the rain should make for some nice descents

:rubs hands:

whats the time gaps?

• Advertisement

me@ucd wrote: »
    whats the time gaps?

edited thread title - race chat is go.

38 secs

See two Garmin jerseys in the bunch.

On Eurosport now

on eurosport now finally

Ouch. Nibali down

• Advertisement

of all the people to fall..the demon descender does [as seen in the giro solo break this year]

any sign of martin?

you think they'd (selle italia) have pulled the alberto advert :D

Is this the amalfi coast or something ?

milan to como round lake como

• Advertisement

No sign of Martin in the first chasing bunch

Guys behind need to get their act together. Big gap

great win for gilbert (scarponi riding sram was he ? :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ajk24

great win for gilbert (scarponi riding sram was he ? :D )

I think Andy Schleck must be double jobbing as his mechanic.

Just heard that Dan Martin crashed before the Madonna di Ghisallo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Just heard that Dan Martin crashed before the Madonna di Ghisallo
    Thanks for that as I was wondering what happened to him. Very dangerous out there today. Scary descent :eek:
    Gilbert or "Mr Big Ring" was just playing with the field. The power he can generate on those steep climbs is incredible. Looking at him today I really think he got his tatics all wrong for the Worlds.

Holy cow:
    Only 34 riders finished the gruelling, almost seven hours in the saddle. Even riders in good positions had to succumb to the elements. Haimar Zubeldia showed a promising move, but eventually faded away and had to abandon due to hypothermia.

Very much Holy Cow, isnt Gilbert from Wallonia ?

Junior wrote: »
    Very much Holy Cow, isnt Gilbert from Wallonia ?

He is.

Interestingly I read this morning that he said an aim of his was to win Paris Roubaix. Thats a parcours that I thought would be a bit too flat for him. However I am wondering why he has not said that he would like to aim for Ronde Van Vlanderen (I would have thought he would be more suited to RVV)- is it because he is a Walloon, trying to be politically sensitive?

ROK ON wrote: »
    He is.

Interestingly I read this morning that he said an aim of his was to win Paris Roubaix. Thats a parcours that I thought would be a bit too flat for him. However I am wondering why he has not said that he would like to aim for Ronde Van Vlanderen (I would have thought he would be more suited to RVV)- is it because he is a Walloon, trying to be politically sensitive?

Yah for all the talk about the flag of flanders being an all encompassing flag for cycling I'm not so sure, I would think the RVV would be suited to him alright, the Mur Du Huy is a proper wall of a climb, Paris - Roubaix is a pure power route, you need to make a selection on the pave, not sure Gilbert could do that ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement