Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What level of cooking are you at ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I'm not a bad cook but too lazy to do it often - there's a canteen at work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

I can use the oven and the microwave. I can also fry some stuff in the pan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Just raised to 1.4, but I started a fire :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

I jerk off onto your cheeseburgers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I cook but am lazy about it. If I make Spaghetti it's enough for 2 days and re-heat the next day. I don't add anything into, just Dolmio, spaghetti and mince...no extras

Same if I make chicken curry...it's chicken curry and rice enough for 2 days...

I can cook but I don't enjoy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I think I'm pretty decent at cooking. If there's something I wanna make, I look up a recipe and go for it. Haven't had too many disasters so far. I like to bake moreso than make a meal though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I cook but am lazy about it. If I make Spaghetti it's enough for 2 days and re-heat the next day. I don't add anything into, just Dolmio, spaghetti and mince...no extras

Same if I make chicken curry...it's chicken curry and rice enough for 2 days...

I can cook but I don't enjoy it.

Ah come on.

You'll actually spend less money on spaghetti bolognese if you call in to Aldi and get a bit of tomato puree and chopped tomatoes. You'll have change left over for garlic, an onion and a couple of peppers. It will taste WAY better.

Call in to your local Asian food store for stuff for your curry. It will be fabulous and wont look like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Ah come on.

You'll actually spend less money on spaghetti bolognese if you call in to Aldi and get a bit of tomato puree and chopped tomatoes. You'll have change left over for garlic, an onion and a couple of peppers. It will taste WAY better.

Call in to your local Asian food store for stuff for your curry. It will be fabulous and wont look like this.

That again means effort to get to Aldi..I go to 24 hour Tesco when I get a chance and get in and out as quickly as possible. I value my time more than the money I spend on food. I also try to cook and eat as quick as possible because it feels like all I get to do is wake up, go to work, cook, eat, clean up, throw on laundry, shower and go to bed these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

In winter I do baked dinners, home made from scratch soups, pastas and casserols.

Summer is salads and grill meats/fish on the BBQ.

• Advertisement

Wompa1 wrote: »
    That again means effort to get to Aldi..I go to 24 hour Tesco when I get a chance and get in and out as quickly as possible. I value my time more than the money I spend on food. I also try to cook and eat as quick as possible because it feels like all I get to do is wake up, go to work, cook, eat, clean up, throw on laundry, shower and go to bed these days.

Yeah I know what ya mean. You'd learn to enjoy it if you cook one nice meal for yourself.

Don't bother with Aldi. Pick up some own brand tesco puree & tomatoes. They'll be about 40c each instead of probably €2.80 for the Dolmio stuff? The change will still get you the other bits you need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

I can take care of myself but I generally use jars of sauce and a little extra seaoning. My speciality is chicken fillet stuffed with cheese, olive oil and basil wrapped in bacon and topped again with the chees olive oil and basil. mmm. Another 74mins til lunch :(.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Yes, exactly when I need food I need it NOW not in 40 minutes or an hour!!!! I don't want to deal with boring, repetative chopping, simmering, mixing, fussing and all that shyte. It's BORING !!!!

We have to eat 3 times a day, so I can't be doing with that much time investment for such little return for the rest of me natural !!!

You're not alone! I'm well able to cook. I just wont because it's boring. I like eating though. So it's ready meals, other peoples cooking, Centra, Spar or fast food for me!!! I have NEVER cooked myself a meal such as a roast or anything requiring two hands to make because I am much too lazy and I'm double your age!!!

People who like cooking are the enemy. They not only want to cook but they often also want to TALK about cooking too. The bleedin freaks!!!

thats just ridiculous. don't get offended here, but are you fat?

Feck Ye, Now I wants a Rasher Sammich,

OP Cookin chicken( I presume you meant a whole roast) is a fair few steps up from HEating a Pizza, I'd sugest you learn a few basics of Actual Cooking first, Ya cant Beat a Fry for simplicity, Warm up Pan, Blob a Drippin, and then fire in the sausages, then the Rashers then the Puddin then The Egg, then the tomatos, clean the pan by fryin some bread is it, feckin lovely, Hmmmmmm, mighthav one now, or mayb juststick with the Rasher sammich.

Being able to cook is no big deal,

BUT

Not being able to Cook IS.

the last bit here ^^ is pretty much hitting the nail on the head.
    i think mostly people just lack a bit of confidence when it comes to following a recipe, but like a lot of things in life if you just give it a try you'll find it wasn't too hard at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭davrho

Great advice. Spending about 10 euro in you local Asian store will keep you going on curry ingredients for months. Only thing you have to buy is canned tomatoes.
    Our local store in Lucan also does Italian herbs for a fraction of the price you would get in the supermarkets(including Lidl).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I've got mixed feelings about people who don't like to cook, and don't mind what they eat...

On the one hand, I cannot comprehend how anybody could be so insensitive to the process... to me, both cooking and eating are highly sensual activities, and are the second best bit of the day (the best bit is having sex, obviously ;))

On the other hand I'm slightly jealous... it must be a doddle keeping a slim figure if food isn't a constant temptation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

Hmm i can follow a recipe and I'm ok to cook... but my love is reserved for desserts mmmm. Apple crumble, black forest gâteaux, strawberry cheesecake...

Anyways back to the original question op I don't think there will be a major problem with people not being able to cook in the future. When I started college I could already cook- (I'm fussy about what I eat, so it was always a necessity) but most people learn pretty friggin fast after they get sick of fast food and noodles/run out of money! :p We would cook once a week each- that's 4 proper meals and you'd only have to wash up once a week as well!

You'd be surprised how cheap cooking works out- we could get a roast chicken dinner for about €7.50- (€3 tesco chicken, €2 spuds, €2.50 frozen veg & gravy!), less than €2 each and there might even be enough left for sandwiches later!! :O

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

im quite a good cook,

i can do everything from a full Christmas dinner to lasagna from scratch,
    made a few new additions myself mixing garlic and spices in!

i make a mean homemade burger, and my specialty would have to be
    chicken and pasta in a white wine sauce with garlic Brussels sprouts on the side :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

I can't even boil water....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I can fairly reliably not poison people.

As The Mammy says "Anyone who can read can cook".

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I'm a pretty good I would say! Can do a good few sauces from scratch. I'm a good baker too, cupcake queeeeen :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭lazyQuestions

search for recipe, buy stuff, follow instructions. I can do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Conor_M1990

about 5 or 6 outta can cook most things trick is to use good ingredients cook slowly and never cook meat from Frozen

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I've surprised myself constantly this year. Started experimenting more with marinades and spices, natural foods and such. NOM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

davrho wrote: »
    Great advice. Spending about 10 euro in you local Asian store will keep you going on curry ingredients for months. Only thing you have to buy is canned tomatoes.
    Our local store in Lucan also does Italian herbs for a fraction of the price you would get in the supermarkets(including Lidl).
    Where in Lucan is the Asian shop? I've been meaning to go to one and stock up on spices for my kick ass curry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

over 9000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

I'm at the level where I put the potato wegdes and the chicken kiev in the oven at 200 degrees, watch the Simpsons, and then pull the charred offerings from the oven, declaring proudly that "I cooked it" :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭davrho

Terry wrote: »
    Where in Lucan is the Asian shop? I've been meaning to go to one and stock up on spices for my kick ass curry.

Last weekend a new Asian supermarket was opened on the Fonthill road. The outlet next door to Power City. It has fecking everything. Was in it last night for the first time.

Before this I was using the shop on the way to Clondalkin. You would drive by the Penny Hill pub, through the 2 roundabouts then you would a sign for "Fishbowl pet shop" The Asian supplier was in this group of shops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭SoundWave

ive give myself one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

Im at the chocolate soufflé level :D

• Registered Users Posts: 35 DubMam

I would say a bashful 8 out of ten. Food is one of my favourite things in the world ! I love watching cooking shows, rip out every recipe I see in magazines, love shopping for food,eating food, planning dinners from early in the day..everything! I am not the size of a house btw :)

I want to put it as a hobby on my CV I love it so much. My best dishes would be Xmas dinner , carbonara and fillet steak, although it can be very unrewarding to spend time making pasta sauce etc from scratch for my children who proceed to pick every scrap of herb from the sauce before they eat it. But i will keep on trying:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭happyfriday

Think I'd give myself an 8 of 10 as well. I love everything about food I make about 90% of what I eat from scratch, the meals I make during the week after work all take about 35-45 minutes and are all made from fresh healthy ingredients and are all low cal and tasty!! At the weekend I love to cook for friends and go wild and make Rogan josh from scratch (a joe to cook) or suprise burgers (stuffed with tesco finest mature cheddar) but sometimes a tasty salad and a good rare steak can be just as fun to shop for and prepare.

I love to bake but I don't like sweet things so my friends and OH have mixed feelings about my baking abilities. :D I find it the best thing to do when I can't sleep, that and making Jam.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I'd like to think I'm pretty adventurous in the kitchen, I'll try my hand at most things.. I'm no Nigella Lawson though, you won't find me making my own sauces from scratch, most of my dishes will include a packet or a jar somewhere along the way ;)

xzanti wrote: »
    I'd like to think I'm pretty adventurous in the kitchen, I'll try my hand at most things.. I'm no Nigella Lawson though, you won't find me making my own sauces from scratch, most of my dishes will include a packet or a jar somewhere along the way ;)
    Nigella's recipes suck ass, stick with the tesco sauces :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Copper23

I'm not bad, haven't poisoned myself yet.

I love when girls are like... Oh, I'm such a good cook, yak yak and serve you up a spag bol or a bit of pasta in sauce... oooooh! Thanks! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭flyton5

Cooking my favourite receipe. You will need:

1 metal spoon
    1 Lighter
    1 Hypodermic Needle
    Water
    Heroin

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Copper23 wrote: »
    I'm not bad, haven't poisoned myself yet.

I love when girls are like... Oh, I'm such a good cook, yak yak and serve you up a spag bol or a bit of pasta in sauce... oooooh! Thanks! :rolleyes:

Cheeky b1tches what :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Meh, I'd like to be better, but I'm at chicken breasts, pork chops, rice, stir frys... just about enough to experiment with the world of premade sauces and curry pastes out there.
    I never have the patience to hunt down the million ingredients needed to make a sauce from scratch, as cool as that'd be.

Meh, I'd like to be better, but I'm at chicken breasts, pork chops, rice, stir frys... just about enough to experiment with the world of premade sauces and curry pastes out there.
    I never have the patience to hunt down the million ingredients needed to make a sauce from scratch, as cool as that'd be.
    My technique involves putting my hand in the press and throwing in whatever I grab, have gotten some majorly delicious stuff from it.
    Protip: Worcestershire sauce in taco = heaven

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

I'm really quite surprised at how many people can't or won't cook here. I bloody LOVE cooking. I'll always take some time during the week to plan what I'll make for my boyfriend on a Fri/ Sat night and happily spend half the day preparing it. This weekend he's getting a Mexican fiesta; fajitas with griddled chicken in spices, blackened peppers, homemade salsa, homemade guacamole and homemade refried beans.

I hate the thought of eating sauces out of jars or any sort of ready meal, I just won't do it. I'd probably have a takeaway once or twice a year but then feel awful after it. Cooking is not only kind to your wallet but also to your waistline :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

As someone said, It's lack of confidence on my part that has cooking down the bottom of my list. But, I am trying to change that. I work in a supermarket in the Veg Section, sad thing is I wouldn't have a clue how/what to do with 3/4 of the stuff the other 1/4 is Apples, Citrus and Soft Fruit.

Last time I used a frying pan I kid you not, it went on fire and got quickly thrown out the window.. As for pot's I burned the arse out of one or two of them.

I'll get over this fear, what's a cheap and simple from scratch meal ? Some sort of chicken I would be after..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

msg11 wrote: »
    I'll get over this fear, what's a cheap and simple from scratch meal ? Some sort of chicken I would be after..

Easy one -

1 whole chicken
    some new potatoes
    2-3 carrots peeled and chopped into discs

Heat oven to 180

put Chicken, Potatoes and Carrots in roasting pan with about half a cup of water.

Put pan in oven for 1.5 hours

Take pan out of oven, let cool and serve.

If you want to get fancy you can through some sage (I usually add fresh sage and garlic) or thyme in there but that is it.

Yummy meal with left over chicken for sandwiches.

Susie_Q wrote: »
    I bloody LOVE cooking. I'll always take some time during the week to plan what I'll make for my boyfriend on a Fri/ Sat night and happily spend half the day preparing it.

No thanks. I like cooking too, but I'd prefer to shoot myself in the face rather than spend all weekend in the kitchen.

Pizza Fridays ftw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Like I posted earlier. Some chicken fillets, slice em open like a Pita bread, stuff with cheese, olive oil and basil, wrap in bacon (usually 2 slices per fillet) and sprinkle a bit more cheese and oil and basil on top. Oil up an oven tray and put in a preheated oven at 180c for 20 mins.

Throw in some wedges or oven chips too, takes the same time in the oven so all comes out together. Suppose you could have a side salad or something but I'm a man.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I can cook a decent enough curry. What level is that on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I have just learnt to use the oven, and am at the pizza stage. I'm going to try get to the chicken stage in the next few weeks..

And you?

Ah very basic like student level basic! Mainly microwave, usually oven for pizza and sometimes cooker for boiling pasta and spinach thats about it!:o

My speciality is making a nice cup of tea and a nice cappuccino!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Considering I made a thread a while back called "Toaster Cuisine" I am not that good at cooking.

And yes, boil in the bag rice can be done in the kettle.

• Advertisement

I'm great at making toast and toasted sandwiches too - grill yokes are great inventions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I make chips and stuff in my toaster!

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    I make chips and stuff in my toaster!

:eek:

:eek:
    Toaster bags :pac:

Teutorix wrote: »
    Toaster bags :pac: