Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What level of cooking are you at ?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/toaster/jml-toasta-bags/

you can cook near anything in them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Teutorix wrote: »
    http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/toaster/jml-toasta-bags/

you can cook near anything in them

Oh-h but chips?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Lemsiper

I'm great at making toast and toasted sandwiches too - grill yokes are great inventions!

In presume you mean a salamander or broiler?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

yup even chips, cant really fit alot in it though, grand if you just want to make a butty.

Lemsiper wrote: »
    In presume you mean a salamander or broiler?

I'm talking about a toasted sandwich maker! ;) I couldn't think of it at the time when I posted about the toast and grill yokes!:p

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Yeah, wack the settings up to max, press the frozen bread button.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

lol because of this thread it was demanded i make my homemade burgers...:D

i better get back to the kitchen...:(

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Yeah, wack the settings up to max, press the frozen bread button.

Would the toaster not break or even go on fire?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

Sometimes I really enjoy cooking, and wouldn't be too bad at at, maybe a 5-6/10. Strangely enough though I won't bother with anything too complicated if I'm only cooking for myself, and if it takes too long (making anything from scratch) I find that by the time it's ready to eat, I don't want to eat it anymore.

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Pretty ****ing terrible:(
    Then again, we've only got one saucepan and a grill pan in this new flat, so at least I have an excuse!

• Advertisement

Would the toaster not break or even go on fire?
    No, why would it?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Incognita

I'm ok, sometimes I get bored with our usual meals and concoct something random. Sometimes it's nice, sometimes it's rank. It's a learning process. ;)

I hate jars and always avoid using them if possible.

No, why would it?

No just wondered if you have it up to the max.

No just wondered if you have it up to the max.
    Not at all, just keep an eye on them so they dong get burnt to a crisp

Not at all, just keep an eye on them so they dong get burnt to a crisp

Oh right so just a matter of not letting them burn ok, a bit like waffles then!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

I can only cook along to music. Much like this:

Oh right so just a matter of not letting them burn ok, a bit like waffles then!:)
    Exactly like waffles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I can cook very basic food. Chicken, beef, sausages, bacon, pizza, sandwiches, cereal, chips, potatoes, rice, curry, korma etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭BlandKitten

Pancakes are the limit of my ability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭baldbear

I'd be at level ate.:pac:

Guinness and chocolate chip ice cream was my proudest moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭primavera85

ffs, this thread is desperate... makes me feel as though i should bring each and every 1 of you (apart from a few good cooks in here)
    and teach you a few easy yummy meals...
    i dont follow recipes that often, i just go on instinct most of the time.
    i'll post a few of my favourites later that are easy to do and good enough to serve to friends and family.

heres 1 very very simple recipe i like,

sweet'n'spicy pork fillet (my own creation)

ingredients;

pork fillet (costs between 5-8euro depending where you buy it)
    schwartz spicy season all
    honey

serve with spinach fried in butter or peas. and potatoes.
    or make a sandwich with it

you will need;- tinfoil, oventray, spoon, sharp knife.

preheat oven to 180degrees
    1. take pork fillet out of plastic packageing and place on piece of tinfoil
    2. shake spicy season all on pork fillet, a decent amount of it.
    3.wrap pork fillet in tinfoil and put it onto oventray and put it in oven for 45minutes
    4. after 45-50mins useing a dry teatowl/ovenglove take pork fillet out and carefully unwrap pork fillet
    5. generously drizzle honey onto pork fillet.
    6. put pork fillet back into oven but this time leave the tinfoil open.
    7. after about 10mins pork fillet should be ready to serve alongside whatever you have decided to eat with it.
    before you serve it (sliced) poke it with a sharp knife to check the juices run clear if not put back in the oven for another 5mins

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭clikityclak

I'd give myself a 7 for cooking. Attempted my first roast beef dinner last month it was pretty awesome serving it up, but it takes fair long to prepare and cook the whole lot! I love experimenting with food and random bits that I find in the fridge or whatever. For anyone that is only a maker of beans on toast at the minute(which can be the hangover tea of champions!), try an omlette! 2 medium eggs, break into a bowl(scoop out the shell, if you're like me), add a bit of milk and cheese, whisk with a fork til it's a wee bit froth. All into the pan(hot not roasting), add anything you want- ham, turkey, peppers, tomatoe, chilli basically whatever's in the fridge! IMO making an omlette is the first step to 'real' cooking :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I can cook,including omlette's and can follow a recipe, but frying a good steak eludes me. I don't like rare meat, the last fillet steak I fried didn't taste like steak. Also,I don't get these chefs on TV etc who cook these great british roast beef joints and it's still rare inside,go back to chef school losers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

i cook to a degree which bye most is considered very high. as in if most people in here claim to cook at a 10 then i cook at about 25 I've had the training and the experence.

I cook christmas dinner my mum had my spechailty dish in a restaunt i worked in... she was very impressed ( she was a cook to ) but i did make it with love as the ticket said your ma on it :pac:

i cook the folks something nice when i go down to them, most people who've had my food have been nothing short of amazed.

I'm damm good at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

Not to blow my own trumpet but I think I'm a good cook, was looking foward to doing Xmas dinner again this year but have been told the mother in law is doing it... I'm raging cause I really wanted to do it and ....

She can't cook

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Yeah I'm good enough when I can be arsed. My Mother is a chef and my Father is an AMAZING cook. He used to be a chef in my greatgrandad's restaurant when he was younger. So when I was younger my Mum made sure to show myself and my brother how to cook. But I rarely cook at home because my Mother and myself just eat at work and my Brother then cooks for himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

lvl56 with grill special power

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

It depends on what you mean by cooking. I can cook rice and pasta, which just involves putting stuff from a packet into boiling water and leaving it for the amount of time it says on the packet! Then I can do the pasta sauce, which just involves opening a jar and dumping it on top.

But have I ever rolled dough, or made a pasta sauce from scratch. No, course not. Well actually i tried to make a pasta sauce once. It was diabolical watery muck. Dolmio is the only way for me.

I can make a lasagne using freshly factory boxed ingredients too!

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

Agricola wrote: »

I can make a lasagne using freshly factory boxed ingredients too!

you should try making the lasagna sheets from scratch a former housemate showed me how and they taste waay better!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

longshanks wrote: »
    thats just ridiculous. don't get offended here, but are you fat?

Nope. Heheh. :D Ye can't fatten a thoroughbred !

I'm just lazy and have a short attention span for repetitive tasks!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

msg11 wrote: »
    I have just learnt to use the oven, and am at the pizza stage. I'm going to try get to the chicken stage in the next few weeks..

And you?

How old are you?

My just turned 11 year old can cook to name a few: pizza, chicken(pork, beef) curry and rice,(chicken, beef,pork,prawns) stir fry rice or noodles, spag bol, pies, chicken nuggets, chips, prawns (she loves prawns), eggs (boiled,fried, scrambled,poached),stew, she has even helped cook Sunday roasts (and would know how to cook one herself).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Brendog wrote: »
    I can't even boil water....

just put it in a plastic container and then into the oven @ 200celsius for about 2 minutes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I only bother putting effort into food when it's breakfast or deep fried. Breakfast is easy. My southern fried chicken recipe is reaching perfection. Tobacco onions, onions rings, job done. On the bone chicken kievs, lovely.

I've the know how for proper meals like steak and guinness pie or lasagne, I just never bother.

For what I've got out of the effort I've put in, I must be pretty gifted.
    Also I have a jar of MSG...:cool:

How old are you?

My just turned 11 year old can cook to name a few: pizza, chicken(pork, beef) curry and rice,(chicken, beef,pork,prawns) stir fry rice or noodles, spag bol, pies, chicken nuggets, chips, prawns (she loves prawns), eggs (boiled,fried, scrambled,poached),stew, she has even helped cook Sunday roasts (and would know how to cook one herself).

The most I could do at 11 was make tea, toast and breakfast that was it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

The most I could do at 11 was make tea, toast and breakfast that was it!

I was 12 when i cooked my first Sunday roast (by myself). My lady wants to cook, every time I cook she asks me if she can help, sometimes she helps, other times i watch over her, and other times i leave her too it and tell her to call me if she needs me. She is quite good, she doesn't add salt to anything because her dad has high bp, I tell her what herbs to add (if any) she is well able to do what i mentioned, all by her self. She knows what temperatures the oven should be set at and how long they should be in for.

I don't bake cakes as she is a diabetic.

Me cook a dinner :pac: I'd burn it and wouldn't cook it right even if I did do home ec in school and left home to study and work. Have learnt a bit but only simple basic stuff. Not very adventurous when it comes to the cooking and well don't like the kitchen to be honest. I just stick what I know what I can cook or boil or just put in the oven/microwave. I could do most things except cook a dinner. Spinach and peppers are the only vegetables I made any hand at cooking the rest turned out horrible. Took a lot of practice to be able to boil the pasta. Rice I just get the microwavable stuff, cannot get the proper rice cooked right. I'd help out though like chopping up veg and peeling the spuds and checking on stuff that won't boil out or turn to a crisp but like that I'm not your best bet behind a cooker. Under do it or over do it, never able to balance the technqiue of cooking right.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Biggins wrote: »
    Ona a level of 1 to 10, I'd say about a 7/8 of skill.

That's kind of optimistic.

If 1 is you can't boil an egg and 10 is Marco Pierre White/Ferran Adrià standard then the majority of professional chefs in the country would be about a 7.

I'd throw myself in at about 6.5/7 is you use my 1-10 scale.

Advertisement