Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flockin diets.

• 14-10-2010 1:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Dieting is bloody difficult.:mad:

Sitting here with stomach roaring away at me. Settle down you bottomless mutherfocker!!!

Ive gotten to a silly weight...AGAIN. Im an all or nothing type person. Im either eating properly & exercising or im a human waste disposal unit consuming anything thats fried & salty. This time last year i was a normalish 103kg(thats normal for me. Im 6ft2 & fairly wide). Now im 126kg. Im a part-time fat man.
    Everything is more difficult when your a chunker. Women? they're not mad on the flab. Clothes? just get xxl for everything, cover the blubber. Pubs/ nightclubs? you just sweat & sweat & sweat & leave.
    Of course as soon as ive lost the weight i'l instantly start speaking in a condescending manner about overweight people. Bloody hippos.....we are.

Just started back eating weight watchers synthogunk meals & fizzy water. Supper was a slice of toast & a feckin apple.:(

Stomach---> /grrrraaaarrrr.....settle you cnut, not a scrap of food till breakfast. Don't you talk back to me....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

Melon, pineapple, grapes. Eat as much as you like. Just exercise more and eat smaller portions of what you eat. Don't change your food, change your daily intake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I know the feeling, and I've have heartburn for the past 5 days :(

Confab wrote: »
    I'd see a doctor about that....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

You should go low carb and toss Whalewatchers out the window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

FunkZ wrote: »
    You should go low carb and toss Whalewatchers out the window.

I know their grub is tasteless slop but the ww points system its very handy if your trying to keep an eye on exactly what your eating.

Thats the only reason im eating the stuff.

• Advertisement

Become a vegetarian for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Exercise is the key tbh

You can eat what you like if you are prepared to do the excercise to burn it off. I wouldnt recommend starving yourself to loose weight for a host of good reasons.

If you do excercise + reasonably balanced diet then you shed weight quickly enough and you wont be counting calories either. Just have to get a routine going and try to stick to it as much as possible.

Confab wrote: »

You're hungry and the body is expecting food to digest. When you are hungry, the body releases more stomach acid in anticipation and if you dont eat then you things like heartburn and other digestive discomforts.

Dempsey wrote: »
    Exercise is the key tbh

You can eat what you like if you are prepared to do the excercise to burn it off. I wouldnt recommend starving yourself to loose weight for a host of good reasons.

If you do excercise + reasonably balanced diet then you shed weight quickly enough and you wont be counting calories either. Just have to get a routine going and try to stick to it as much as possible.

Sorry i should have mentioned im back on the daily exercise as well. At least an hour every day.
    I wouldn't have bothered with the drastic decrease in food intake if i wasn't going to take care of the exercise side of things.

A lot of people don't seem to understand that these low fat meals mean nothing if your not prepared to exercise also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

the trick to dieting is never let yourself go hungry

lost 115lbs since august 2009 that way

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I know their grub is tasteless slop but the ww points system its very handy if your trying to keep an eye on exactly what your eating.

So is low carb tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

I'm on a bit of diet too.

I wouldn't bother eating an apple, as a means of a filling your gut. Have a bowl of cheerios or something with low-fat milk.

That should do the business.

Sorry i should have mentioned im back on the daily exercise as well. At least an hour every day.
    I wouldn't have bothered with the drastic decrease in food intake if i wasn't going to take care of the exercise side of things.

A lot of people don't seem to understand that these low fat meals mean nothing if your not prepared to exercise also.

I play football, train twice a week.

I eat a big breakfast (7-8am) and a big lunch (1-2pm), then water for the rest of the day on training days because I dont want to lethargic or get a stitch. I'm not hungry at 7 (start of training) but my stomach is just about empty. Fruit or small bit of cereal when I get back to stop my gorging something really bad before bed.

Lost a nice bit of weight sticking to that and I wasnt counting calories or starving myself on the days I wasnt training either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Helix wrote: »
    the trick to dieting is never let yourself go hungry

lost 115lbs since august 2009 that way

Back up the truck here a sec Maurice!

You lost over 8 stone by 'never letting yourself go hungry'? I'm going to assume that there is a little more to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

KungPao wrote: »

I wouldn't bother eating an apple, as a means of a filling your gut. Have a bowl of cheerios or something with low-fat milk.

Oh dear. Off to the nutrition forum with you mister!

Dempsey wrote: »
    I play football, train twice a week.

I eat a big breakfast (7-8am) and a big lunch (1-2pm), then water for the rest of the day on training days because I dont want to lethargic or get a stitch. I'm not hungry at 7 (start of training) but my stomach is just about empty. Fruit or small bit of cereal when I get back to stop my gorging something really bad before bed.

Lost a nice bit of weight sticking to that and I wasnt counting calories or starving myself on the days I wasnt training either.

2 years ago I lost 3 & half stone in 4 months on the plan im using now. It does work, its just keeping the weight off is the problem.

But i do take your point, there are alternative methods for losing the flab. Im not great at cooking you see so the whale watchers meals are very convenient.

2 years ago I lost 3 & half stone in 4 months on the plan im using now. It does work, its just keeping the weight off is the problem.

But i do take your point, there are alternative methods for losing the flab. Im not great at cooking you see so the whale watchers meals are very convenient.

Aye, its very easy to knock me out of my routine, havent been to training in over 3 weeks now. Had a holiday and I'm very slow to get back in the stride of things. Any excuse will do but I remember before I went, staying away from training (didnt want to get some stupid injury) was hard as I do enjoy training.

Keep it simple with the cooking, get those jarred sauces, some meat, rice/chips/pasta and you have a dinner in less than 30 minutes. Not a great cook or anything myself but I can follow the back of the packets! :o

Fizman wrote: »
    Oh dear. Off to the nutrition forum with you mister!

:)

My idea of being on a diet is eating oven chips instead of the chipper!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

But if you're not keeping the weight off then it's not working. you need to get into a routine of regular exercise, loss weight that way. what's gonna happen when you've lost the weight this time, and you go back to your regular diet? you just pile it on again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Rockery Woman

ok I know people who are constantly "on a diet" .... "oh I cant eat bread/pasta/deep fried mars bars etc .... Im on a diet"

But they are still quite ....dare I say the f word FAT!!!

Why not eat some food you actually like, eat a good mix of different foods, treat yourself to the occasional chipper feed (say on Friday nights) and walk 30 mins every day, or cycle a bit or something.

You will feel better for exercising - endorphins etc

Stop denying yourself - move a bit - live your life.

The weight will fall off you but not 6 Lbs in a week, maybe 2 lbs a week - sustainable weight loss, more energy and none of the depressing on a diet negativity.

A family member is on a diet at the moment - not eating this, not eating that, thinks he is clever by denying himself a chipper feed at the weekend - eating pre-prepared salad. This particular salad has coleslaw and potato salad, egg mayonaisse and a good dollop of oily dressing.

He hates the feckin salad - hasn't lost any weight in 2 months!!! Low fat foods are full of sugar and other ****e! Surely it would be better to eat one slice of toast with real butter that 3 with low fat spread and hanker for the butter????

Sorry for going on - but diets Do Not Work - they are bull****. Eat less ****e move more and you will see results

As for the diet pills - dont go there - I know one girl in work who is taking a supplement that supposedly absorbs fat and increases metabolism... she was size 22 last year and still is!!!

Think about it. In the 1970's there was not much obesity problems in this country . Low fat food was unheard of - kids in schools were thin then though, unlike nowadays.

Low fat food = bull****!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

Sitting here with stomach roaring away at me. Settle down you bottomless mutherfocker!!!

Ive gotten to a silly weight...AGAIN. Im an all or nothing type person. Im either eating properly & exercising or im a human waste disposal unit consuming anything thats fried & salty. This time last year i was a normalish 103kg(thats normal for me. Im 6ft2 & fairly wide). Now im 126kg. Im a part-time fat man.
    Everything is more difficult when your a chunker. Women? they're not mad on the flab. Clothes? just get xxl for everything, cover the blubber. Pubs/ nightclubs? you just sweat & sweat & sweat & leave.
    Of course as soon as ive lost the weight i'l instantly start speaking in a condescending manner about overweight people. Bloody hippos.....we are.

Just started back eating weight watchers synthogunk meals & fizzy water. Supper was a slice of toast & a feckin apple.:(

Stomach---> /grrrraaaarrrr.....settle you cnut, not a scrap of food till breakfast. Don't you talk back to me....

Diets are bull****. If you're hungry eat. If you dont eat when you're hungry your body will go into starvation mode and your metabolism will slow down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

As for the diet pills - dont go there - I know one girl in work who is taking a supplement that supposedly absorbs fat and increases metabolism... she was size 22 last year and still is!!!

Diet pills are very dangerous and getting worse.

I think Gerry Ryan was on one type, a year or two before he passed away, that was actually pulled off the market because of increased risk of heart attacks, believe it or not.

The new ones out are shocking.

What they do is stop your pancreas producing carbohydrate digesting enzymes and leave any starchy carbs you eat, partially undigested and so reduce the amount of calories that would ultimately be consumed.

Which, would all sounds fine and harmless to someone wanting to lose wait fast but anyone with even the most basic knowledge of nutrition and pathogenic bacteria in the gut knows that undigested carbs will cause a host of problems down the line.

It always amazes me that these products can be sold so freely,

Sure, even Chartbusters sell Diet Pills now :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

If you are putting the weight back on, then it obviously isn't working. The whole 'low fat' approach is frankly, wrong.

Read this sticky, your body will thank you for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Just keep below 20g of saturated fat a day and you're in business. Sounds difficult but it's not really. Couple of bits of exercise a week and you're sorted.....worked for me anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Get stressed out and develop Crohn's disease. Had the weight dropping off me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

kfallon wrote: »
    Just keep below 20g of saturated fat a day and you're in business. Sounds difficult but it's not really. Couple of bits of exercise a week and you're sorted.....worked for me anyway!

There is absolutely nothing wrong with saturated fat and is not what you should be worried about in your diet.

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with saturated fat and is not what you should be worried about in your diet.

Well it's worked for me, shed about 2-3 stone in about 7-8 months. So you're telling me I can eat as much saturated fat as I like???

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    Saturated fats are preciseldy the fats you should be avoiding. It's mono/poly unsaturated fats that are good for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Blowfish wrote: »
    Saturated fats are preciseldy the fats you should be avoiding. It's mono/poly unsaturated fats that are good for you.

Got to run to work so a wiki link is all I have, but no. Theres nothing wrong with saturated fats.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturated_fat#Cardiovascular_diseases

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

*cough* Bull**** *cough*

Head over to Nutrition and Diet and get yourself an education

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    *cough* Bull**** *cough*

Head over to Nutrition and Diet and get yourself an education
    Brain fart, I was thinking of trans fats.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Fonecrusher if you are hungry just eat!

Dieting should not equal starvation and I have a hard time understanding why anyone believes that to lose weight you literally have monitor every mouthful you take.

I made the mistake of trying that kind of thing as a teenager and I can tell you with total confidence that the only thing that does is make you hungry and cause you to over-do when you do eat.

All anyone needs to do to lose weight is exercise more and relation to how much you eat. So if you wish to eat a nice big creamy cake, eat it! Just make sure you exercise relative to what you eat.

I joined Curves, didn't cut a single food out and lost a Stone.

Forget about these lose-weight-fast weight loss plans, slimming shakes, 'low-fat' foods and diet pills because none of these will work long term.

Everything in moderation and good exercise is my motto!

/headdesk

OP, I'm another low carb advocate. Lost about a stone on it. Haven't been exercising or eating properly recently (though I haven't done too much damage I think, I've at least kept off the bread) but time to get back on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

bluewolf wrote: »
    /headdesk

OP, I'm another low carb advocate. Lost about a stone on it. Haven't been exercising or eating properly recently (though I haven't done too much damage I think, I've at least kept off the bread) but time to get back on it.

See I did the low carb thing too and I did lose weight but it just isn't healthy or viable long term to do that kind of extreme Atkins style dieting.

I am always slow to advocate cutting out entire food groups altogether because it's not healthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭fishtastico

I hear AIDS is very slimming

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 jassmine12

I always follow a healthy diet. i am a gym going person and i need to eat

1. 4 eggs
    2. 200 gm of cheese
    3. 6 bananas
    4. 2 glasses of milk ( Morning-Evening)
    5. a glass of juice
    6. except of my normal break fast, lunch and dinner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

Eat smaller meals but have more of them to get you through the day and do a little bit of exercise! :)

See I did the low carb thing too and I did lose weight but it just isn't healthy or viable long term to do that kind of extreme Atkins style dieting.

I am always slow to advocate cutting out entire food groups altogether because it's not healthy.

I didn't do Atkins-level extreme, I think that must be 20-30g carbs? I was more like 50-60. Sounds a good bit more but it's still a lot less than I would have had otherwise. There are a lot of them in natural yogurt, milk, anything low-carb I could have.
    My hair and nails and everything also looked a hell of a lot better when I started upping the protein levels.
    I also found that I could pretty much stuff myself with anything low-carb enough, it's low enough on calories without having to count them. I prefer to listen to my tummy than count calories, it works well enough.

My mother is doing some combo of higher protein/WW but she's exercising like crazy and looking very, very well these days.

/headdesk
    Why?

Fonecrusher1 is 126kg at 6ft2, I am 76kgs at 5ft10.

I have been this weight for a long time. I eat cereal when I'm hungry (outside normal mealtimes), where lots of people would go for the Chicago Town.

Works for me.

Why?

I have been this weight for a long time. I eat cereal when I'm hungry (outside normal mealtimes), where lots of people would go for the Chicago Town.

Works for me.
    There's a slight difference between cereal instead of an apple and cereal instead of pizza....

• Advertisement

Surely different diets work for different people, no? If we all put down on here what worked for us they'd all be different in some way???

Why?

Works for me.

Cereal may be better than pizza, but a hell of a lot of things are better than cereal.

There's a slight difference between cereal instead of an apple and cereal instead of pizza....

I get ya, but he is 126kgs....i'm thinking an apple ain't gonna fill him up. In fact it'll likely make him crave a huge Irish breakfast later on.

It's no good starving yourself like that.

If a guy of 126kgs ate exactly what I eat every day, the kilos would drop off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

low carb is the best diet for me
    bread,pasta,rice and potatoes I hav'nt eaten them in months I dont miss
    these foods I feel lighter :) look it too and more energetic.

Carbs make losing weight harder

I get ya, but he is 126kgs....i'm thinking an apple ain't gonna fill him up. In fact it'll likely make him crave a huge Irish breakfast later on.

It's no good starving yourself like that.

If a guy of 126kgs ate exactly what I eat every day, the kilos would drop off.

Handful of nuts or even better: nuts with natural yogurt!
    or some tuna fish or even a protein shake. Those are so tasty.
    or a chicken fillet.
    so many things better for you than cereal, and those things will fill you too.

Cereal may be better than pizza, but a hell of a lot of things are better than cereal.

Absolutely.

My concern is his weight and appetite. I reckon he eats a fair amount of things like chips, pizzas, burgers etc. So trying to go from one extreme to another like replacing double-quarter pounders with salad and tuna is gonna be torture for him.

He doesn't need to go hardcore to lose weight, just eat more sensibly.

Handful of nuts or even better: nuts with natural yogurt!
    or some tuna fish or even a protein shake. Those are so tasty.
    or a chicken fillet.
    so many things better for you than cereal, and those things will fill you too.

Maybe those suggestions would be better for later on when he loses a bit of weight?

My reasoning being, if he tries it now he could get pished off, and pack it in and go back to the really bad food.

And just to clarify, I'm saying eating cereal for breakfast and snacks is okay....not a sub for proper meals!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

I feel your pain fonecrusher...

very difficult going from 2 sausages, 2 eggs, 4 rashers, 4 hashbrowns, 2 black pudding, 2 toast and a pint of ketchup to an apple for breakfast.

Maybe those suggestions would be better for later on when he loses a bit of weight?

My reasoning being, if he tries it now he could get pished off, and pack it in and go back to the really bad food.

And just to clarify, I'm saying eating cereal for breakfast and snacks is okay....not a sub for proper meals!

I'm talking about snacks too. As for breakfast I don't think it will keep you going long, you would be starving 10 mins later. He may need fewer snacks with a bigger breakfast. I know my OH is not a big man at all but he'd easily down 3 or 4 bowls of crunchy nut as breakfast. Could get a lot more nutrition out of something else??

Don't get me wrong I love my coco pops but I'm not going to recommend them to anyone for healthy eating or weight loss!

Keep eating the beef without the bread and stuff in a load of vegetables and fish and whathaveyou and you won't be starving. I mean eggs and rashers can still be good breakfast. People like salmon too at breakfast. Eat cottage cheese as a snack as well - I haven't gotten into it yet but they keep recommending it and loving it on the nutrition forum and say it's filling.
    All I'm saying is, you don't need to starve yourself, and eating sugary cereals (and they almost all are) as a snack is not nutritionally good AND I can't imagine it'll keep you full.

Nothing drives me more up the wall than my friend trying to lose weight saying she has special k and an apple for breakfast and is starving by 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 dianeh

It ain't easy but you have to remember not to let your self get hungry or you'll either binge eat or stop going to WW altogether.

There's plenty of food you can eat between meals that are of zero value or very low points. If you do overeat just make sure to burn it off with a little extra exercise...

Boring I know but bring Veg/Fruit or eat a bowl of zero point veg soup..

WW was the onyl thing that worked for me..

Keep us posted on your progress..

Good Luck...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I'm 70kg at 5' 11 at the moment. My weight has been about the same for the last 2 years or so. My diet mainly consists of:

Breakfast:
    Slice of toast and a sugarless cup of tea

Lunch:
    Hot dog/ham sandwich/noodles, with a cup of tea

Dinner:
    2 vegs and one meat, usually with a glass of milk

I generally eat 2/3 biscuits a day, and another 3/4 cups of sugarless tea during the day. That does me grand

• Advertisement
Advertisement