Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flockin diets.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Brendog wrote: »
    I feel your pain fonecrusher...

very difficult going from 2 sausages, 2 eggs, 4 rashers, 4 hashbrowns, 2 black pudding, 2 toast and a pint of ketchup to an apple for breakfast.

Don't forget the beans ffs, no fry up is complete without the beans :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Conor_M1990

I personally dont think diets work never been on one but evenbody Ive ever seen on one has failed Id id suggest is exercising going to the gym eating good quality foods in smaller proteins 3 times a day to speed up methoboilism (sp) cut down on snacks drink lots of water and avoid salty foods as salt dehydrates you and raises blood pressure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Am I the only one left who still says their weight in lbs?

Course, I still ask for a pound of rib eye at the butchers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Am I the only one left who still says their weight in lbs?

Course, I still ask for a pound of rib eye at the butchers.

Yeah got lost with all the kg stuff in this thread. Tbh it's years since I weighed meself anyway!

I still use stone & lbs :(
    I have a vague idea of what I am in kg but someone saying they're any other weight in kg is a bit meaningless to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Fonecrusher if you are hungry just eat!
    That's what got him to this stage in the first place. If you've never had a history of overeating, you'll never understand what it is to do so.
    kfallon wrote: »
    Surely different diets work for different people, no? If we all put down on here what worked for us they'd all be different in some way???
    We're all members of the same species. Size and activity levels aside, what works for one person will work for everybody.

The problem is that everyone tries to devise a diet that's easy and simple but at the same time soul-crushingly boring and full of complicated rules.

Calories in = Calories out. In reality, that's all there is to it. It doesn't matter if you get all your calories from a single bucket of chips or from a trough full of apples, at the end of the day, once you eat less calories than you burn, you will lose weight. Your nutrition on the other hand would leave a lot to be desired :D

Fonecrusher, the reason you yo-yo is because you see weight loss as the end goal. Once the weight drops off, it's mission accomplished, normal service resumes. The goal here is to redefine what "normal service" is. Losing your excess weight is a checkpoint - yay, I've done that, now let's eat properly. The "end goal" is reaching death without going back to a hefty weight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Grew up using stone & lbs myself and I'm going to stick with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Dempsey wrote: »
    Grew up using stone & lbs myself and I'm going to stick with it

1kg = 2.2 lbs. Thats all there is to it.

I always worked in pounds & stone in weight related matters but Kg's are actually more handy when tracking weight gain/loss.

Metric. Its the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

Weight watchers is terrible! I know one person who wanted to loose a few pounds after having a baby, this woman was in no way fat but had gained a few pounds as most women do during pregnancy. She took up weight watchers and joined the gym.

A couple of weeks in doing the routine weigh up thing they do she was weight and had gained a pound. But all her clothes fit better and she knew she had stuck to her diet very well and was going to the gym 3 times a week. And nobody pointed out that muscle weights more than fat, everybody just said try harder. So she saw sense and left.

I know a dozen other people who join it once a year around new years and loose a few pounds but they never keep it off. They teach terrible information about food at those places.

If you have ever picked up any of their products in a shop and looked at their nutritional value vs something else of the same type they are rarely much better for you. Its a bit sickening. They also follow that pattern of advertising them by saying something is 95% fat free! but 5% fat is quite a high amount of fat for most food types.

tldr: I don't like weight watchers :P

• Advertisement

1kg = 2.2 lbs. Thats all there is to it.

I always worked in pounds & stone in weight related matters but Kg's are actually more handy when tracking weight gain/loss.

Metric. Its the future.

Sounds like you sell the metric system for a living :pac:

I just get a better sense of whether someone is light/heavy for their frame by stone/lbs. I use metric for almost everything except for a person's height/weight. I prefer to use ft/in & st/lb

I never heard many success stories regarding weight watchers.

Excercise & cook your own meals would be the two things I'd say to anyone looking to loose weight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

seamus wrote: »
    Calories in = Calories out. In reality, that's all there is to it. It doesn't matter if you get all your calories from a single bucket of chips or from a trough full of apples, at the end of the day, once you eat less calories than you burn, you will lose weight. Your nutrition on the other hand would leave a lot to be desired :D

It really isn't I'm afraid. If you eat the same amount of calories in a Protein - Fat - Carb ratio of 20 - 50 - 30 (for example), you are not going to put on as much weight as a diet with a respective ratio of 15 - 25 - 60.

Carbs provoke an insulin repsonse which leads your body to store excess carbs as fat. I am of course simplyfying it but you get the idea.

Eating less calories than you burn will work, but there are less painful ways to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

I started a new operation last week!
    Operation eat less move more
    I've cut out snacking (apart from some piecs of fruit)
    Ive cut out a huge chunk of bread (use to be 2-3 times a day now 2-3 times a week)
    Walking for at least 30 mins a day
    cereal for breakfast
    healthy lunch
    healthy dinner
    alcohol maybe once a month
    treat myself once a week (dinner out with the OH)
    maybe a KitKat every second day
    its been ten days and I've lost 5 pounds!
    Fairly happy so far! gonna try and keep it up till xmas
    i've a pair of trousers I bought last Christmas that I cant fit into anymore! thats my goal by xmas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

And nobody pointed out that muscle weights more than fat, everybody just said try harder. So she saw sense and left.

Muscle does not 'weigh' more than fat. A pound of fat and a pound of muscle is exactly the same weight. Muscle is more dense and takes up less space, that's all.

Fonecrusher, cutting out starchy carbs like bread and pasta and rice and high sugar stuff like sodas and baked beans would probably help a great deal in getting the weight to shift. There's no need for you to starve in the process either. You can scoff eggs, cheese, lean meats, seafood, fish, stews, curries (I eat mine with diced sweet potato through it for bulk) and plenty of veg. It's all good food and usually easy to prepare from scratch. Letting yourself get hungry is counter productive. I find I reach for convenience food much quicker if I'm already starving. But preplanning meals in advance cuts nibbling and poor selections out a lot. Good luck with it all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

And nobody pointed out that muscle weights more than fat, everybody just said try harder. So she saw sense and left.

Muscle does not 'weigh' more than fat. A pound of fat and a pound of muscle is exactly the same weight. Muscle is more dense and takes up less space, that's all.

Sorry used the wrong terminology, meant to say that muscle is denser than fat. The woman i mentioned felt thinner and fit into her clothes better so she was definitely smaller in volume, yet she weighed more on the scales. That makes sense as she was going to the gym a lot. Its just a bit sickening that Weight Watchers would make somebody feel bad over that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Agreed, and good for her for not taking any nonsense from them.

• Advertisement

:DD'ya know whats cracking me up about this thread? A few months ago i made the mistake of heading over to the fitness forum to describe my situation, maybe get a few tips & all i got was a bunch of tosser's using my honesty as a platform for an ego trip. 'well try harder, stop eating & don't be so lazy, someone had the ignorance to say have more pride in yourself or something along those lines. Won't be back there again thats for sure.;)

I come on to AH, a free for all/smart arse forum & i get more advice & support than those other knobheads extended to me.

Fcukin class.:D

Thanks.

:DD'ya know whats cracking me up about this thread? A few months ago i made the mistake of heading over to the fitness forum to describe my situation, maybe get a few tips & all i got was a bunch of tosser's using my honesty as a platform for an ego trip. 'well try harder, stop eating & don't be so lazy, someone had the ignorance to say have more pride in yourself or something along those lines. Won't be back there again thats for sure.;)

I come on to AH, a free for all/smart arse forum & i get more advice & support than those other knobheads extended to me.

Thanks.

Its safe to say that this thread fluked it! :pac:

Went back training tonight after about 3 weeks of extreme excess and I was off the pace.

Easy for people to say try harder when they are on top of their fitness, getting there is the hardest part.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Companero

is basically your body's response to eating more carbohydrates than it is designed to do. Low-carb is essentially the only diet that actually works. As well as this it's the only diet that doesnt involve feeling hungry, once you get used to it you realise that it carbs and sugar that make you hungry not lack of food.

Secondly exercise is very much secondary to what you eat as a means of staying slim. The human body is extremely effecient at getting energy for food, so if you overeat is is very unlikely you can 'burn it off', as some like to advocate.

To put it simply, if you had a sneaky Mars bar, (280 calories) you would have to walk 3 and a half miles to burn it off. Far easier not to eat it in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Thanks.

That's a bummer, I like the fitness forum and there are some useful people there if you know who to listen to. Its a shame that the combined knowledge of the fitness forum couldn't help you cause I know they are capable of it. I hope you deon't give up on them yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Companero wrote: »
    is basically your body's response to eating more carbohydrates than it is designed to do. Low-carb is essentially the only diet that actually works. As well as this it's the only diet that doesnt involve feeling hungry, once you get used to it you realise that it carbs and sugar that make you hungry not lack of food.

Secondly exercise is very much secondary to what you eat as a means of staying slim. The human body is extremely effecient at getting energy for food, so if you overeat is is very unlikely you can 'burn it off', as some like to advocate.

To put it simply, if you had a sneaky Mars bar, (280 calories) you would have to walk 3 and a half miles to burn it off. Far easier not to eat it in the first place.

That is all 100%.

I would just add to that, that far and away the worst type of carbs are Sugar and Grains.

The worst bloody lies, even bigger than the Fat lie, was that Whole Grains are fine.

It had people eating Brown Basmati Rice and Wholegrain Pasta by the truck load and then complaining when they couldn't lose weight.

If you must eat carbs on a diet, then just stick to the only carbs that were ever meant for human consumption, fruit and vegetables.

Potatoe isn't a vegetable, it's the root (a tuber) of a vegetable, so no cheating there either ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

2 years ago I lost 3 & half stone in 4 months on the plan im using now. It does work, its just keeping the weight off is the problem.

But i do take your point, there are alternative methods for losing the flab. Im not great at cooking you see so the whale watchers meals are very convenient.

One year for Lent I decided to give up eating anything with added/processed sugar in it. I could eat as much as I wanted as long as there was no added sugar in it (if it was naturally sweet, like fruit, it was fine). Once I got over my shock at how pretty much everything at the grocery store has added sugar in it, it was pretty easy to stick to since I didn't count calories and I was never hungry. I lost about 10-12lb (about one dress size) over Lent, and I've found over time that it's the only thing that really works for me.

I know that the whole high fructose corn syrup thing is more prevalent in the US than in Ireland, but really there is added processed sugar in EVERYTHING: pasta sauce, yogurt, even added sugar in juice - which is naturally sweet. Not eating added sugar means I don't eat a lot of pre-packaged food. Plus on the rare occasions where I do have something sugary (like a birthday or something), the sweetness is so overwhelming that I only want a bite or two anyway.

OP, if you aren't comfortable cooking, why not take a basic class? It's really not that complicated, and once you get hooked on preparing your own meals, you may even want to start growing your own herbs, etc. Fresh basil makes everything better. :)

Crumbs? Looks like everyone is saying carbs are the devil. Thats just my luck, im a carb freak so. Chips, fried rice, spuds, waffles, pasta, are all off the menu for me for a couple of months. And the bread is gonna have to go, up until last week i was eating 5 or 6 slices a day, im the sandwich man. Put a dvd cover in between 2 slices of buttered bread & i'd have a go off it.:eek: Well those days are over.

I knew sugar & salt caused serious longterm damage so i made a huge reduction in consuming both about 2 months ago. 1 teaspoon of unrefined sguar in tea & cereal. Used to take 4/5 teaspoons. Also used to drink gallons of Lucozade.:rolleyes:

My one huge hurdle is veg. I like roast veg, sweetcorn, peas but put a plate of boiled veg in front of me & i'l start laughing & ask for the real food. The best compromise i can make with veg is this no fat veg soup ive heard about. Its basically pureed veg with a bit of water & chicken stock. I'l give it a go.

My goal is to shed the flab for next summer. But the hardest part will be keeping it off not taking it off.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Fonecrusher, definitely allow yourself a treat now and then or you'll be just miserable. If you've a sweet tooth, make the treat something sweet; if you're more of a savoury junk-food person, make it that. Some treats should just go though - e.g. fizzy drinks. You only need liquids for hydration, not their nice taste - try to stick with water, and when you need something with more of a kick, go for a juice (lots of sugar too, but much lower in calories than soft drinks). Diss the white bread - there are some delicious wholegrain breads available. I agree with the low-carb approach, but you do need fibre too (much will be found in fruit and veg though).
    I have to disagree with someone who said exercise is key - it isn't, it's diet. Exercise complements diet certainly, definitely helps the process in a big way, but most of the difference is made via what you eat. Do exercise too though - as much as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Crumbs? Looks like everyone is saying carbs are the devil. Thats just my luck, im a carb freak so. Chips, fried rice, spuds, waffles, pasta, are all off the menu for me for a couple of months. And the bread is gonna have to go, up until last week i was eating 5 or 6 slices a day, im the sandwich man. Put a dvd cover in between 2 slices of buttered bread & i'd have a go off it.:eek: Well those days are over.

I knew sugar & salt caused serious longterm damage so i made a huge reduction in consuming both about 2 months ago. 1 teaspoon of unrefined sguar in tea & cereal. Used to take 4/5 teaspoons. Also used to drink gallons of Lucozade.:rolleyes:

My one huge hurdle is veg. I like roast veg, sweetcorn, peas but put a plate of boiled veg in front of me & i'l start laughing & ask for the real food. The best compromise i can make with veg is this no fat veg soup ive heard about. Its basically pureed veg with a bit of water & chicken stock. I'l give it a go.

My goal is to shed the flab for next summer. But the hardest part will be keeping it off not taking it off.

I'm a carb nut too, and I eat a fair amount of pasta but it's always with loads of steamed or sauteed veggies. I used to be a bread fiend, but I had to cut back on that (and beer) because I don't tolerate yeast well.

I have to admit,I've been living in Spain on and off, and it is much easier to eat well and keep the pounds off in Spain than it is in Ireland. There aren't a lot of take-away places, the bread is made fresh without preservatives, and the produce is very cheap (as is the good red wine). Spaniards eat their big meal mid-day, and if I wasn't out at night, I would be happy with a plate of jamon iberico, olives, and a nice red in the evenings. When I moved back to Dublin from Madrid, I gained weight because groceries were more expensive, and spuds are the best thing going food-wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

D
    Just started back eating weight watchers synthogunk meals & fizzy water. Supper was a slice of toast & a feckin apple.:(

No offense, but if you weren't eating such ****ty food, you wouldn't feel so hungry. Do a bit of research.

Empty Carbs + Dieting = starvation. eat a more well rounded meal and you'll be ok. Toast, an apple and a microwave dinner is depressing and doesn't even really help with fat loss.

It's like giving your kid a daily espresso, wondering why they're hyper... so you decide to reduce it to half an espresso. There's some logic to it, but it's not all there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

By Volume, muscle weighs more than fat? Nobody claimed it was by weight. when people make that statement, they (incorrectly, it seems) labour under the assumption that others aren't dumb enough to think they mean by weight. It's not a trick; in the correct context, it makes perfect sense.

It bugs me that you think you've somehow outsmarted us!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Aldito

Just live on chicken, fruit and vegtables. Eat six times a day. Lift weights, and run/cycle/swim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

- Keep active to avoid eating for boredom
    - Eat slowly, it takes 20 mins for your body to register that you're full
    - Try establish a routine meal plan but don't stick to the same foods
    - Drink 6 - 8 glasses of water a day
    - Small portions
    - Never skip breakfast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Companero wrote: »
    Low-carb is essentially the only diet that actually works. As well as this it's the only diet that doesnt involve feeling hungry, once you get used to it you realise that it carbs and sugar that make you hungry not lack of food.
    Yup. I usually eat eggs and a slice of whole-grain bread for breakfast, but the odd morning when I'm really tired and dying for a quick energy fix, I'll have a croissant or scone, which screws me up for the rest of the day. I get hungry again extremely quickly - and it's a real, extreme hunger that has me nearly weak, and just dying for more carbs/sugar (same thing really, carbs are broken down as sugar) and the cravings last all day. Whereas when I have a healthy breakfast, it really does set me up for the day - the cliché is spot-on. Your blood sugar plummets when you have junk to break your fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Dieting is bloody difficult.:mad:

Sitting here with stomach roaring away at me. Settle down you bottomless mutherfocker!!!

Ive gotten to a silly weight...AGAIN. Im an all or nothing type person. Im either eating properly & exercising or im a human waste disposal unit consuming anything thats fried & salty. This time last year i was a normalish 103kg(thats normal for me. Im 6ft2 & fairly wide). Now im 126kg. Im a part-time fat man.
    Everything is more difficult when your a chunker. Women? they're not mad on the flab. Clothes? just get xxl for everything, cover the blubber. Pubs/ nightclubs? you just sweat & sweat & sweat & leave.
    Of course as soon as ive lost the weight i'l instantly start speaking in a condescending manner about overweight people. Bloody hippos.....we are.

Just started back eating weight watchers synthogunk meals & fizzy water. Supper was a slice of toast & a feckin apple.:(

Stomach---> /grrrraaaarrrr.....settle you cnut, not a scrap of food till breakfast. Don't you talk back to me....

I think you might want to consider re-phrasing that.

• Advertisement

orourkeda wrote: »
    I think you might want to consider re-phrasing that.

BA-DOOM-TISSSHHH!!! i was waitin for it. :D

You must have scanned through the post, searching intently for a thanks earner....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

BA-DOOM-TISSSHHH!!! i was waitin for it. :D

You must have scanned through the post, searching intently for a thanks earner....

Hell yes. Thankfully youve knocked that on the head.

Advertisement