Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendation please

• 14-10-2010 3:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I am planning a trip to county Clare next summer, and intend to stay about 3-5 weeks. I'll be traveling with my 14 year old son, and would like to be in a town/village with activities to do, preferably near the coast, and with plenty of 12-14 year old boys running around that my son might be able to hang out with. Any recommendations? Thanks so much for the help.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

karendnh wrote: »
    I am planning a trip to county Clare next summer, and intend to stay about 3-5 weeks. I'll be traveling with my 14 year old son, and would like to be in a town/village with activities to do, preferably near the coast, and with plenty of 12-14 year old boys running around that my son might be able to hang out with. Any recommendations? Thanks so much for the help.

Plenty of coastal towns, best to spread it round a bit.
    Lahinch would be the obvious one, but Kilkee and further along Carrigaholt and Loop Head are nice places to see and there's a steam train nearby as well.
    In Carrigaholt you can take a boat onto the Shannon Estuary looking for dolphins.
    Aran Islands, Fanore, Doolin are another option, there's plenty going on, but filling five weeks may be difficult even here. ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Aran Islands are great on a sunny day, of course try to go in june or around as it gets sunny then! Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Cliffs of Moher are an obvious destination, even if they now charge :rolleyes:

Personal favourites are Lahinch, Spanish Point, Fanore.. There's a little beach just south of Quilty I think, White Strand I think it's called.. And it's absolutely gorgeous.

The Burren is a must.

Get out to the Aran Islands too, well worth the trip!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

For a 14 year old boy Lahinch would be your best bet:

Lively touristy place with loads of activities, even for rainy days (www.lahinchseaworld.com), he can learn how to surf - plenty of surf schools around - restaurants, cafés, shops and icecream and because of that certainly plenty other kids his age. And it's not far to other sights and activities, like above mentioned dolphin watching in Carrigaholt or the Ailwee Cave, Doolin Cave or trips to the Aran islands or horse riding...
    http://www.lahinchfailte.com/activities.html

All other places are a bit sleepy or too grown-up for a kid his age, imo.

Advertisement