Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom NGB?

• 14-10-2010 7:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Eircom's NGB offering, am I correct in saying its the same as the unbundled LLU offerings from smart and magnet?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

No, it is nowhere near the ADSL2+ offered by Smart and Magnet. It's the same eircom's other broadband, ADSL, but it's supposed to have no congestion. This means they should have upgraded the capacity of any exchange that NGB is available on. Personally, I don't believe it. There is still congestion on NGB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Eircom's NGB offering, am I correct in saying its the same as the unbundled LLU offerings from smart and magnet?

Totally incorrect. It just a backhaul upgrade at the exchange. The lines and the DSL equipment is still mostly ADSL1 stuff, so only max 8Mb from most exchanges(if your line can handle it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

Have Eircom NGB a week now. Using speedtest.net, download speeds are around 4.4 Megs during the daytime and evening. Seems quite steady up to now. When ordering it online it said my line would handle 5 Megs max. So not every body is going to get 8 Megs, hence the "up to" part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The reality of speed of ADSL (up to 8Mbps) or ADSL2+ (up to 24Mbps) with distance and line quality.
    An exchange could be either.
    Older dsl exchanges tend to be ADSL rather than ADSL2+

http://www.techtir.ie/comms/dsl-limits

Mayo Exile wrote: »
    Have Eircom NGB a week now. Using speedtest.net, download speeds are around 4.4 Megs during the daytime and evening. Seems quite steady up to now. When ordering it online it said my line would handle 5 Megs max. So not every body is going to get 8 Megs, hence the "up to" part.

and the relevance of this post to the original is?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

bealtine wrote: »
    so only max 8Mb from most exchanges(if your line can handle it)

Was responding to part of your post (#3).

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭drnmalone

eircom are ripoff artists in my old apartment i originally had eircom and was told my line couldnt handle more than 5mb so i switched to smart and had 8mb line which cost less. eircom are a joke and this ngb is only a way to try and stop people realising how ****e there service is. it a total disgrace that the government let this company run an essential monoply .

Mayo Exile wrote: »
    Was responding to part of your post (#3).

Still mystified...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sexton10

This service is shocking for me anyway it ranges from 0 to 1meg. It started off reasonable but within a few days it went down hill fast. I switched from eircom's 1meg broadband a year ago to vodafone which is another shocking service now I back with eircom again and I actually think this is worse than vodafone which is a difficult task to achieve. My original 1meg bb from eircom was actually really good but I switched because I was promised a few meg more for the same price. Now I am back with eircom and can't belive how poor the service is. I have to call them and see if this can be resolved. I will update if its resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭.Ger

Does anyone here have eircom's NGB and if they do what do they think of it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

It's no different to their old service.

in fact when i was originally on the 7 meg package I got a solid 6 meg connection.
    Now I have a spiky 5 meg one..despite paying for 8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If the speed is going up and down, and the connection drops, then it's possible that the modem is trying to sync at too high a rate. If you had a stable 1Mbps before, and now it's broken, you should check to see if your modem is trying to sync at 2048, 3096kbps, or any other higher rate. If it is, get eircom to drop the sync rate to 1024kbps again. If a line's SNR is low, and the line is set up to too high a speed, then the modem won't be able to maintain the connection.

If that's not the issue, then it could just be that eircom's new "congestion free" service is not actually congestion free (which I don't believe it is). If the problems are at peek times (6-12PM) then you can be pretty sure it is congestion. Try a speed test at 8AM, 10AM or the afternoons, and compare to one at 7PM, 10PM, etc.

Advertisement