Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10 % of everything in PC World - until Sunday

• 14-10-2010 8:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭

Hi, Declan Ronayne here, MD of Currys and PC World. We've been on boards a couple of months now and I want to try something which we haven't done so far, which is a boards special in a specific store to see what happens. If it works we'll do it in more stores across the country, and do it a couple of times a year. It would be too expensive to do it across the whole country with any great regularity.

So, here's how it works. Print off this thread and show it in store and you'll get 10 % off anything you buy in PC World up until close of business on Sunday. The only exception is Apple, as we don't make a bean on that.

Hope it helps with any early Christmas shopping

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Nice idea Declan, I won't be making use of it though as I don't need anything at present but still none the less very good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭ShaneIRL

Wil any of the other offers in store qualify for an additional 10% off and if so what are the current offers in Waterford?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭Currys PC World: Declan

It's an additional 10 % off absolutely everything, except Apple. This is over and above the standard promotional offers. Key deals for the weekend are a HP Dual Core Athlon 3GB memory 320GB HD for € 519. 4 colours This would be € 467 in Waterford, Packard Bell 13, 3GB 320 GB with LED backlight €599.99, which would be € 540. We've also got a Samsung 22" 1080p LCD TV , € 269.99 everywhere else but € 243 in Waterford this weekend.

There's lots of others too and I'd say the best thing would be to take a look at what's instore and have a talk to the team. They'll know a lot better than me !

Might take a quick look but I do know that DID Electricial have a 22" SAMSUNG HD LCD TV for €249 (without discount) so you may be over priced to begin with :D but might take a browse

Suspect the DID model may be a different one. If it was the same, our price promise would match that price and give you 10 % of the difference. But I strongly suspect that it's not the same model. Could be wrong of course....

• Advertisement

Oh - Price Promise - I like it

What Model are ye selling? and il see if its the same or different?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I'm in the Market for a telly. Thing I'll have a look.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/samsung-syncmaster-p2270hd-22-full-hd-lcd-tv-monitor-03303333-pdt.html

This is ours. Can't be entirely sure of the other model you're looking at, but likely to be the LE 22C350, which isn't 1080p

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭SLOOPY

Hi, Declan Ronayne here, MD of Currys and PC World. We've been on boards a couple of months now and I want to try something which we haven't done so far, which is a boards special in a specific store to see what happens. If it works we'll do it in more stores across the country, and do it a couple of times a year. It would be too expensive to do it across the whole country with any great regularity.

So, here's how it works. Print off this thread and show it in store and you'll get 10 % off anything you buy in PC World up until close of business on Sunday. The only exception is Apple, as we don't make a bean on that.

Hope it helps with any early Christmas shopping

A bit off topic,sorry.

Why is it that the PC World Ireland web site re-directs to the UK version?

Do PC World have any plans to have a dedicated Irish site with prices in Euro?

SLOOPY wrote: »
    A bit off topic,sorry.

Why is it that the PC World Ireland web site re-directs to the UK version?

Do PC World have any plans to have a dedicated Irish site with prices in Euro?
    Not off topic for me at all, it's very relevant to how we do business in Waterford and elsewhere. I've answered it a lot on the Currys & PC World forum.

The general gist is this. We had our own PC World site a number of years ago, maintained by ourselves and we sold a bit from it. However, keeping the product up to date because everything changes so fast ( relative to the amount of business done ) became impossible to support. And then we were hit by fraudulent transactions....

In the meantime we had bought Pixmania. They've got great technology and the plan was ( and is ) that they will build us our own sites in Ireland and do a lot of the background stuff that keeps the sites humming properly. Problem is that this is attractive not only to our bigger UK operation, but also to Norway, Italy, greece and so on. So we're kind of waiting our turn here and it's going to take some time yet.

We've a website that I'm not proud of at all in the meantime. This is being replaced in a fortnight with something that's a little more navigable and will have correct contact info and opening times. A couple of weeks after that we'll replace the re-direct to the UK with an online catalogue of in store product with Euro prices, which will be useful for research.

Re-direct to the UK is the best we can do for the moment. It helps in researching specs and it would also show how tight we try to be versus UK prices. But it's no substitute for the real thing. We are working away on it and thanks for the question

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭SLOOPY

Not off topic for me at all, it's very relevant to how we do business in Waterford and elsewhere. I've answered it a lot on the Currys & PC World forum.

The general gist is this. We had our own PC World site a number of years ago, maintained by ourselves and we sold a bit from it. However, keeping the product up to date because everything changes so fast ( relative to the amount of business done ) became impossible to support. And then we were hit by fraudulent transactions....

In the meantime we had bought Pixmania. They've got great technology and the plan was ( and is ) that they will build us our own sites in Ireland and do a lot of the background stuff that keeps the sites humming properly. Problem is that this is attractive not only to our bigger UK operation, but also to Norway, Italy, greece and so on. So we're kind of waiting our turn here and it's going to take some time yet.

We've a website that I'm not proud of at all in the meantime. This is being replaced in a fortnight with something that's a little more navigable and will have correct contact info and opening times. A couple of weeks after that we'll replace the re-direct to the UK with an online catalogue of in store product with Euro prices, which will be useful for research.

Re-direct to the UK is the best we can do for the moment. It helps in researching specs and it would also show how tight we try to be versus UK prices. But it's no substitute for the real thing. We are working away on it and thanks for the question

Appreciate the reply.Thanks for the info.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Fair fecks Declan atleast your putting your hands up saying its a bad setup,

Its an awful shame pcworld.ie hasn't been operation for years at this stage, lets hope it changes in the future.

Cheers Cabaal, no, there's no point in trying to be defensive, that's just hopeless PR fluff ( and bad PR as well ). What I do say to people is that Pixmania is our recommended option in the meantime. My hope is to have something that I'm not embarrassed by before Christmas, some thing I can be half pleased with in 6 months and the best damn website of any Irish retailer in 12 months +. The great thing about boards is that I can at least keep everyone informed.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭RedCardinal

Slightly OT, but do you have any info on whether the new Advent Vega Android tablet will go on sale in IE shortly? Rumour has it that it will launch in UK next Monday.

Nice idea for the promotion - will be interesting to see if it works well for you. Given you seem quite open perhaps you'll feedback on the success or otherwise of this?

Perfect timing. A presentation came through on the Vega today. My man in computing was out on a training course today so I couldn't follow up. I'll ask him tomorrow and see if I can update. It's gotten some pretty decent press. If the Uk have it we'll have it at more or less the same time.

More than happy to update. I'll be upset if the sales line doesn't grow but it has to grow enough to justify the investment in discount !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

What if like ehhhh you wanted to buy a printer, obv ya couldnt print the voucher off

You could go in store and ask them to demo one !

Slightly OT, but do you have any info on whether the new Advent Vega Android tablet will go on sale in IE shortly? Rumour has it that it will launch in UK next Monday.

Nice idea for the promotion - will be interesting to see if it works well for you. Given you seem quite open perhaps you'll feedback on the success or otherwise of this?
    Update on Vega. It'll be a few weeks yet. Not launching in the UK next week. We should have it at the same time as the UK, current estimate in three weeks time. That would be the 10 " and the 7" will follow a little later

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

strolled in there during the summer looking for a small tv for the kitchen
    think it was €179 so i asked for 5%cash discount ,they wouldnt budge
    went over to d.i.d and got the same model for €169 cash -thats the way to do business...
    whats the markup on a tv must be least 40%

whats the markup on a tv must be least 40%[/QUOTE]

I wish !

It's all about a pricing philosophy. We go as low as we can and don't encourage stores to discount further. Cash, credit card, debit card - it's all the one. If you price a bit higher and give yourself room to discount, you're penalising those that don't want to bargain.

If you get the same product cheaper then go for it.

• Advertisement

In reality I'd imagine TV's are nearer 10%.

I'm going to have a look tomorrow Declan, do we ask for yourself or are the staff aware of the discount? I'm looking for a 46-50 inch 1080p HD telly. I was going to go to Harvey Norman and get my night away in Dublin but i appreciat. You coming on here and answering our questions so I'll give you first shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭RedCardinal

Update on Vega. It'll be a few weeks yet. Not launching in the UK next week. We should have it at the same time as the UK, current estimate in three weeks time. That would be the 10 " and the 7" will follow a little later

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. Will keep an eye out. No idea of ROI pricing? It's seemingly going to be £249STG. Hopefully you use a relatively good internal rate given the recent movements in EURGBP.

ziedth wrote: »
    In reality I'd imagine TV's are nearer 10%.

I'm going to have a look tomorrow Declan, do we ask for yourself or are the staff aware of the discount? I'm looking for a 46-50 inch 1080p HD telly. I was going to go to Harvey Norman and get my night away in Dublin but i appreciat. You coming on here and answering our questions so I'll give you first shot.
    Cheers . Appeciate you giving us the once over. I let Alan the manager and the team know yesterday morning when I posted the thread. I hope some boards customers have been taking advantage already !

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. Will keep an eye out. No idea of ROI pricing? It's seemingly going to be £249STG. Hopefully you use a relatively good internal rate given the recent movements in EURGBP.
    Haven't seen the UK pricing yet but you can assume that we'll track as close as we can. From your comments I imagine you're involved somewhere that has exposures to the vagaries of currency too. It's gone very volatile and I'd personally prefer a bit of stability. Wouldn't mind if it settled wher it was now on the run into Christmas but my fear is that it will go up and down and all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

... dropped in this afternoon with my son to pick him up a new HDD. The person at the cash desk was as pleasant as usual and accepted the discount thread printout without a question. He's thrilled, I'm happy, many thanks Declan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

Bugger! Had my eye on a hard drive but never got a chance to pick one up.

Me too,

I got delayed on Sunday so couldn't make it down. Well done again Declan, hope a few people made use of the offer.

ziedth wrote: »
    Me too,

I got delayed on Sunday so couldn't make it down. Well done again Declan, hope a few people made use of the offer.
    Cheers. Red Cardinal was looking for an update once the promotion finished. We weren't exactly inundated with members, but I don't think anyone expected an avalanche either. I'm very pleased with the initiative, more from the point that the thread has next to 1000 views and that's a lot of people in Waterford who know we're here and can pass on any thoughts or questions. The feedback that I had from the store was that we had a few online shopping members through our doors who thought that our pricing was reasonably keen and they'd be minded to come back again. All 'n all, well worth doing and I'd envisage doing this a few times a year. Would also be very useful once we get to clearance time of the year, which tends to be April - July.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I was away pretty much from when this thread went up until after the discount finished but if I had been here I would have actually gone in and taken a look around even though I'm not in the market for anything specifically. It would have prompted me to turn into PC World, which I often pass without a second glance multiple times a day so I think a promotion like this is a very good idea. Even if I didn't buy when I went in with the 10% off, I could be impressed with teh store or the staff and it'd encourage me to come back again.

Good idea Declan and thanks for coming on here and trying it out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby_Woo

Bit of a shameless bump here.. I don't suppose there'll be anymore 10% off promotions again anytime soon, will there?

Advertisement