Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools - Early open and late close?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

06:00 - 22:00 is horrendously long day for anyone but which is the better system, the one that has parents/lone parents trapped either out of work because they can't afford childcare or without sufficient means or ability to improve qualification or one that at least allows for childcare that covers a working day and an evening class, even temporarily....trapping families in poverty forever is far greater abuse imo.

But no child under 12 should up at 10pm. A child needs 8 hours of good sleep a night. And they need to relax at home before bed. Why should the children suffer for their parents. I know parents want to better theirs and their childrens futures, but realism needs to take place too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Who said it applied to children under 12? Who even suggested that the full hours could even be availed by one single child? I think what enormous use such a system has to those who would otherwise have no opportunity or ability to get themselves or their family out of poverty is being lost in the "won't someone think of the children!!!" hysteria.

The true reality is hundreds of thousand of kids lives could be bettered immeasurably if the irish administration in all it's wisdom recognised that one of the biggest barriers to adult education and parental employment is lack of suitable and, more pertinently, affordable childcare. I say bravo to any government who has pulled it's head far enough into the current century to recognise that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Who said it applied to children under 12? Who even suggested that the full hours could even be availed by one single child? I think what enormous use such a system has to those who would otherwise have no opportunity or ability to get themselves or their family out of poverty is being lost in the "won't someone think of the children!!!" hysteria.

The true reality is hundreds of thousand of kids lives could be bettered immeasurably if the irish administration in all it's wisdom recognised that one of the biggest barriers to adult education and parental employment is lack of suitable and, more pertinently, affordable childcare. I say bravo to any government who has pulled it's head far enough into the current century to recognise that.

The OP discussed it for primary and secondary, so all children in Primary are under 12.

And you don't need to preach to me of the need for better childcare prices:). My sons father is a vet student with mad hours and I am due to return to nursing in UCD. But I don't know if I can, I can't see how I can afford the cost of childcare. I may have to sacrifice my career for my son. It is something parents need to think about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

I'm well aware of what constitutes school age children, the post that referred to 06:00 - 22-00 which drew all the hand-wringing hysteria made no mention of whether it was a primary or secondary...likewise there is no call to be preaching what parents need to think about, being one I'd appreciate less of the inferences that I'm not and as such don't know what I'm talking about - as it happens I work, I have two children and I'm studying for a degree; I'm well acquainted with the juggling unicyclist routine. :pac:

I also happen to work in adult education and the system here is almost designed to keep people uneducated and unemployed - some demographics stand no chance of bettering themselves whatsoever, unless they happen upon a lottery win. I'm not talking about the middle-classes that have the luxury of deciding whether or not they'll sacrifice a couple of years of their career while they live of the other-half, though the system is certainly not kind to them either - I think state-run childcare, whether done through the school system or not, holds the most benefit for those that have no other support or means to get themselves out of the poverty trap and into employment or education.

In an ideal world, no parents would work - we could spend all day every day playing with our kids but it's not an ideal world and a system that at least recognises the reality of peoples lives is far superior to one that leaves unsupported or poorly educated people trapped with no hope of changing their situation even when they really want to. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

can't believe there is people looking to out source the rearing of their child to the department of education and put such a low value on it in the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It is parents looking at the building and facilites and wondering why they are not but to more of a use which can and will benefit the community.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Lee1982

this thread is shocking me :( what's the point in having children if you work so hard in the 1st place?your depriving them of what they need most..your TIME!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I agree 100%
    The cost of childcare here is ridiculous....as difficult as it is to juggle in a two parent household, I am finding it a literally impossible situation as a single parent. I know this is going a bit off topic but really if anyone out there has advice on how a single parent can manage with childcare let me know.....i'm sick of seeing posters complaining about how people, and particularly graduates, turn there noses up at lower paid menial jobs, or how single parents are welfare leeches when the reality is that there are parents out there who are more than willing to work (in any job!) but are financially handicapped by the system in this country. I just finished my degree and i'm studying for my masters now and struggling to pay the childcare for the 2 days I require it now.....if I was to work 40 hrs a week in a minimum paid job I would have roughly the same income I do now, but with the added outgoing of childcare costs, the guts of a grand a month.

its simple maths: outgoings > income = impossible, meaning that when I finish college unless I can walk straight in to a well enough paid job to cover childcare on top of the other usual outgoings (which was hard enough before the recession!) then what choice do I have?
    there needs to be more provision/incentive for parents to work and the main barrier from my experience is childcare.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭amz5

So are you working for the 5 days that you aren't in college? I don't understand. Who is paying you at the moment? If you are getting funded by the government to do a Masters (which many graduates cannot afford to do) I can't see why you're complaining. I have nearly finished 2 degrees. No Masters yet. The second one was part-time. I'd like to do a Masters too. I don't have time or money to do one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

6am - 10pm, my god

There is a solution alright for parents who want the school open those hours.
    It's called boarding school and they are all over the country

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭ktod

Noffles, back to your original question.

Some do, some don't, I guess it depends where you are in the country.

Our son is in secondary school and the school opens at 8am, and has a cafeteria open. They also have study afterwards which goes on until 9pm for the older students, or 5pm for the younger ones. They get a break and food in between from the cafeteria.

It is great for students preparing to do their exams as they can study in peace and quiet.

Our younger boy will be starting primary school next year, and there is an afterschool club that goes on until 4.30 in the afternoon.

In the UK where we used to live, these things are taken for granted, are in the marjority of schools, and are not just there for disadvantaged children.

I have to say that I'm a little surprised by some of the comments - why can't a mother work and have children? And why can't she expect a little help? I have to work to provide more money for my family and I, and am very grateful for homework clubs and afterschool clubs that allow me to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Kildrought

06:00 - 22:00
    I didn't see anyone suggest that the children would be at school from 6am to 10pm - what was said was that the building would/could be open those hours.

It makes absolute sense that School buildings should be open and available to the community for as long as possible. We have million-euro community resources closing mid-afternoon each day, closed at weekends and holidays.

Many years ago I was a founder member of a highly successful after-school club; the single biggest issue we faced was finding suitable premises. There were six primary schools in the area and not one of them would allow us to rent out space after schools closed.

The school buildings aren't designed or thought out for multi-use; this is not the only area where we fail miserably to fully utilise all the resources we have at our disposal.

There are three secondary schools in my locality - each of which has separate sports / athletic fields, all have to be managed/maintained and paid for by the schools out of limited resources.

Then the local football club has another field, the rugby club another one, the GAA another, the athletics club a running track etc., etc., all of which has to be paid for by local people doing fundraising, paying dues etc.,

It can't be beyond our capabilities to design and plan on a community basis - not this daft situation of everyone managing their own patch.

Advertisement