Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good food in Athlone

Options
  • 14-10-2010 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Some help required. Im organising a night out in Athlone, for 10 people. Can I get some recommendations from those in the locality about good restaurants/bistros please.
    The places must be within a short walking distance of the Sheraton.

All info gratefully received

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

Top Deck used to have an early bird special of 3 course meal for €10. Not on Fridays or Saturdays if I rememeber. Leave Sheraton via shopping centre and head towards the bridge. The Top Deck is above Coppers, on the right before you get to the traffic lights at the bridge
    Olive Grove, opposite Top Deck, down the steps beside the statue
    Il Coleseo Not sure of spelling, it is on North Gate Street, so turn right at the traffic lights at the bridge and go past the Radisson and there is a fruit and veg shop on your right. It is the next building

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭tubos

The restaurant in the Sheraton is nice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

http://www.kinkhaothai.ie/

Do NOT go to the Olive Grove
    I like Top Deck too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Dacelonid wrote: »
    Top Deck used to have an early bird special of 3 course meal for €10. Not on Fridays or Saturdays if I rememeber.

Think its all main courses (except steak) €10

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭teaholic

Cafe Mamas is nice and you can bring your own drink! Thyme is nice not sure if they will take big groups though.
    Kin khao thai is absolutely gorgeus but I have only ever had the take away there and not a sit down meal.
    La Strada is just on the bridge and really really nice. (Their carbonara is amazing! I was so sad when I finished it!! :o)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭neaideabh

Thyme... hands down.

Reasonably priced. nice portions... and the steak is the best in town imo!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭tubos

For something slightly less formal than the restaurants mentioned here, you could always try the Charcoal Grill. Food is nice and I see they are doing a 3 course meal for 15euro, bring your own wine, no corkage fee.

http://www.charcoalgrill.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 25 uSmellLikeSoup

I second Kin Khao

Also Mother India, Pizza Mama and yes, Charcoal Grill is lovely too.

Theres also a MaccyDs and Burger King ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Featherl

Di Bella serves great food and reasonably priced!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 irish atco

Thanks to all that replied, think that I have a lot of info to make a decision.

IA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

I'd also recommend Kin Khao and Thyme. Both delish.
    I have heard good thing about Top Deck.
    I think the Olive Grove is the most over rated place in town, and the quality of the food isn't great at times.One of the girls found bits of fish in her salad - it wasn't a sea food salad. And one or two little things that have tainted my perception of it! I would not recommend. Whats the saying Fur coat and no knickers! All style no substance.
    Di Bella is nice and very reasonable.
    Cafe Mamas - have heard mixed reports.

There is a Lebanese restaurant that I was at a while back. Lovely, delicious food. But it was expensive, its only downfall.

If you are to believe the first page of the Jia Jia menu, It claims to be the most talked about restaurant in the whole of westmeath......Gas!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Surprised noone has mentioned Hatters - beside Thyme/Olive Grove, never failed to have an astounding meal there...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Been in Hatters twice, wasn't that impressed. I wouldn't really go there with all the quality restaurants that are around Athlone.

It might be worth while setting up a restaurant review thread. As there seems to be a fair bit of interest (this thread/wineport tthread)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

For a group that size I would second (or third or fourth) Kin Khao. Great food, epic building, massive portions, great staff. If there are people in the group who don't do ethnic Hatters is great.

Irock, dying to know what was wrong with the Top Deck, have been meaning to go loads of times, but haven't made it yet, I am hearing massively mixed reviews. PM if you don't want to say it out loud, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I don't understand peoples fascination with Kin Khao. Been there a few times, and was never overly impressed.

neaideabh wrote: »
    Thyme... hands down.

Up until yesterday I would have agreed but had the misfortune of eating there yesterday evening and it will be a long time before I darken its door again.

No athmosphere, food was slow as christmas, small portion and wasnt great overall. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 homebrew.ie

Always enjoyed Kin Khao and the famous Thia Smile, bit pricey thoug, somewhere you would go once a year maybe..

• Registered Users Posts: 20 macshah

tubos wrote: »
    For something slightly less formal than the restaurants mentioned here, you could always try the Charcoal Grill. Food is nice and I see they are doing a 3 course meal for 15euro, bring your own wine, no corkage fee.

http://www.charcoalgrill.ie

+1

Best steak in town..... all other food is also nice and best of all, very reasonable price...

I don't understand peoples fascination with Kin Khao. Been there a few times, and was never overly impressed.

+1
    Its Ok but definately over hyped

macshah wrote: »
    +1

Best steak in town..... all other food is also nice and best of all, very reasonable price...
    Yeah its a marinated steak. Me and one of the lads wanted a feed after training on friday night, So we went to the chacoal grill as the mad hoor was closed. Good food, well presented reasonablely priced.
    Service is always good and fast.

The manager before also gave one of the lads an extra steak as he looked hungry.....I told him rugby players always look hungry!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭pawrick

we used to update a restaurant thread on the athlone live forum - haven't been on it much this year so i don't know how up to date it is any more.

Anyhow there are lots of really nice places to eat in Athlone but many do seem to go up and down in their standards - probably depending on staff coming and going

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Jayo11780

Ate in Thyme Saturday nite, must say it was top class, excellent presentation and decent portions... didn't leave room for dessert! :D

If there was a fault iit's that we had to wait a while for the food, but it definitely was worth waiting for...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Al mezza takes some beating i have to say , serious grub.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭finhex

Any experiences of these new restaurants: Cox Steak House (Connolly St) or India Restaurant (Church St)?

Steak House eh.....Where is Connolly Street?

*Edit - Used Google maps, Its the old Pudding Lane restaurant. May have to make a visit there at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭stapolinhosting

A good place to go is Made In Italy on the docks. Its a lovely spot and staff are excellent and very friendly. Here is their website http://www.madeinitaly.ie

Its about a 5 to 7 minute walk to the Sheriton from there, but you could always end up in Seans bar right next to Made In Italy which is good spot to go with a large covered and heated beer garden with an outdoor bar too.

Hope this helps

Hey,
    Speaking of food, I was in the Genoa on friday night after a few fizzy drinks. There was a pizza slice in the counter for sale with a bite gone out of it! They actually had the cheek to sell it to some guy, I tried to tell him that he bought a second hand pizza slice but he didn't care! He was too inebriated! Gas enough, but my god its horrible. How bad must the hygiene standards be in there. I don't know how to upload here, but I uploaded it to twitter at the time!
    http://twitpic.com/3aj1y9

• Registered Users Posts: 5 shegrim

I like Hatters too, consistent in terms of good food and service. Can feel a little pricey on some meals. Kin Kho is lovely, service is also very good. As with others would also recommend Thyme. All three restaurants are probably similarly priced for e.g a two to three course meal.

For less expensive but still good Pizza Mama is supposed to be good but I've not eaten there. Also Di Bella is a nice Italian that is resonably priced.

If Top Deck are still doing the €10 menu it's very good value and it was byob if you fancied. All can cater for a group, and are walking distance from the Sheraton.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

macshah wrote: »
    +1

Jesus, the website makes it look like a fast food shop, I presume it's not? Thanks for the recommendations though!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

Has anyone been to that Lebanese place? Is it any good?

Advertisement