Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laser Card Fraud- Query

Options
  • 14-10-2010 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi All,

Sorry if this is in the wrong place but I am hoping someone could help out.

I've been the victim of Laser Card fraud just last week (I'm with BOI); The card is cancelled, I have reported this to the guards and also to the Bank and I have been advised that now the retailers have returned the money to the bank and they are now in a position to refund my money as the transactions were not pin verified (done over the phone which is a totally different topic as this should never be allowed). Investigations are to continue.

However, and I know this is probably normal, I have to sign a document saying that BOI can re-debit my account should the retailers/BOI prove that the transactions were in fact valid.

Herein lies my question: I know the investigation can never prove that they were vaild as I have not given permission for money to be taken out of my account by pin or signature or any other means. However they could prove that they might be valid. In this case, can the bank re-debit my account? Surely they couldn't as if there is any doubt then it is my money therefore any doubt should surely lie on the retailers side and not on me considering they should not be accepting laser cards without appropriate verification.

Could anyone shed any light on this for me please? It may seem obvious but I just don't want to take any chances with this as you can understand!

On a side note, it takes some scum to do something like this to anyone. On another note, BOI have actually been very helpful with this!

Thanks Guys

Advertisement