Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What breed?

Options
  • 14-10-2010 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

I just got a four month old puppy from my local animal rescue shelter. Apparantly the mother was a pure bred Westie and they have no idea what the dad was. My dad reckons he looks like he might have a bit of alsatian in him.

Not too sure really. He's a gorgeous little guy :)

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Id say theres Schnauzer in there for def.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭teacherspet

Westie x jack russell I think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Maybe some cairn?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

My guess would be Schnauzer or Cairn

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Definately has the Schnauzer head, standard size not miniature ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Westie x jack russell I think
    Thats what id go for too. Hes very cute!

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

i aint a clue but he is sooooo cute. i want him

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭anamaria

Thanks :) He's called Charlie, he's a lovely but very giddy little dog. He has really big paws for his size

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭sophie1234

i would say some kerry blue insted of schnauzer because of the colouring! crossed with some westie /jack russell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Has to be some cairn in there, he's the image of my boy. Cairn x's can have a bit of an alsation look about them, especially when their ears are erect and muzzle darker than their body. I agree my second thought was schnauzer though. Have you any pics of him standing so we could get an idea of his height?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I'd have to say cairn too, it's far more likely to be cairn or JRT than schnauzer as schnauzer x dont come into rescue very often

Zapperzy wrote: »
    Has to be some cairn in there, he's the image of my boy. Cairn x's can have a bit of an alsation look about them, especially when their ears are erect and muzzle darker than their body. I agree my second thought was schnauzer though. Have you any pics of him standing so we could get an idea of his height?

You're right about the muzzle being darker than the body. He's sort of brindle all over with a little bit of white underneath. I haven't got a photo of him standing yet, he won't stay still long enough :) Will put one up when I do. He's about 14-18 inches high I would guess. His ears are quite floppy, not erect like an alsatian, and he has quite big wide paws. He's a funny little guy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭mystika121

He is so cute! If you have some cash to spare and just have to know his breeding then you can get his DNA tested. Pete Wedderburn the TV vet tested his dog with a UK company but there is info available on this link

http://www.canineheritage.com/

Best of luck with him!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

anamaria wrote: »
    You're right about the muzzle being darker than the body. He's sort of brindle all over with a little bit of white underneath. I haven't got a photo of him standing yet, he won't stay still long enough :) Will put one up when I do. He's about 14-18 inches high I would guess. His ears are quite floppy, not erect like an alsatian, and he has quite big wide paws. He's a funny little guy :)

If his mother was a westie then the father couldn't of been a purebred cairn, probably a medium sized cairn x. I thought he looked a bit chunky in the picture and if he's already 14-18 inches tall then that sounds a little big for a pb westie x pb cairn. Could of been a lurcher either (albeit a small lurcher with a bit of deerhound and terrier in it), Iv seen a deerhound x that looked like my cairn x on stilts. Definetely a bit of a dolly mixture anyways! :D Have you picked a name for the little dude?

Dolly mixture is a greaet way of putting it :)

His name is Charlie

Advertisement