Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Waterford Search Engine?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

wonski wrote: »
    Just so you know - it is not working for me. The page size is all wrong (using Firefox), and every search comes with error.Not working at all, good luck.
    It is a fixed width page. The DNS record had a 3 day time to live so some DNSes might still be using the old site.

Just checked from a few remote servers, the record for the DNS hasn't fully updated yet. It was pointing from to the old site. As I took the old search engine offline, the search results would produce an error.

Regards...jmcc

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

How are you getting page titles / descriptions ?

Sully wrote: »
    How are you getting page titles / descriptions ?
    The search engine generates them from the site HTML. The directory ones are manually created - generally a quick look at the webpage/site and a few lines. It is not a perfect solution but if anyone wants to include their website, they have the option of writing their own blurb. It is like Twitterising a complete site.

Regards...jmcc

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Why not just Meta Tags as a priority? Bit dated, but still widely in use? :) Might be an idea in the directory to either have it alphabetically sorted or randomly sorted on each visit for fairness - assuming its static and not based on any other data?

Sully wrote: »
    Why not just Meta Tags as a priority?
    Well it would be great if everyone used Metadata but it might end up with a pile of Joomla titles and descriptions or 'Home' as the title.
    Bit dated, but still widely in use? :)
    I have some stats on the whole Irish web that I'll post later today. Some sites have complete metadata sets but most don't.
    Might be an idea in the directory to either have it alphabetically sorted or randomly sorted on each visit for fairness - assuming its static and not based on any other data?
    I might introduce alphabetical sorting when all the bugs have been worked out. It is largely static for the moment. If it was randomised, some of the search engines might get a bit upset. There's a lot of opportunity for SEO even with Waterford sites.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
Advertisement