Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

31 week scan - sex determination

Options
  • 14-10-2010 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭

So I have my 31 week scan tomorrow and the appointment letter states that it is the policy of the radiology department NOT TO determine the sex of the child :eek:

Anyone else had this problem??

I have a daughter at the moment and lots of nieces in Ireland but my only nephew lives abroad
    He & his parents are coming home just before Christmas
    My EDD is 19/12 so obviously if I'm having a boy they would be bringing home with them bags and bags of baby boy gear which will save me a bloody fortune
    If this is another girl then its not going to be an issue as there is enough pink girly things around to clothe an army :P

What can i do???:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

It might be the official policy that parents are not automatically told but I'm sure if you ask the radiologist at the time of the scan, they'll probably tell you. You could always get a private scan somewhere if you really, really want to know? But at 100 quid or so, it'd wipe out a lot of the money saved on clothes I guess.

Will it not cost your relative quite a lot in terms of extra baggage charges to get loads of clothes home to you in any case? For the first few weeks, even months, you'll be able to dress the baby in white baby grows and whatever presents of clothes you've been given. Our daughter is nearly a year and a half and I'd say we've only spent about 50 quid on clothes for the amount of presents of clothes we receive!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

You could book a private scan if you really wanted to know. It's about €145, although that would buy you a lot of baby clothes!

Honestly, do you really think your baby will mind if s/he is in pink, blue or purple clothes? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

I can't really afford a private scan :(

I never dreamed they would have it written as policy that they wouldn't tell the sex if they can determine it

As for the clothes it would mean one extra bag on the flight home full of lovely hardly ever worn boy stuff aged from 0-18 months which would save me having to buy much
    There is lots of yellow/green/white newborn clothes available but if I had a boy I wouldn't really want to be dressing him in pink from 3 months on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I think that's just so they don't get sued if they tell you the wrong sex :o ask discreetly on the day and most people get told.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

How odd. I know in H Street they tell you no problem, but I have heard of places, especially in the UK, who don't tell, especially if there is an large ethnic community as there is a perception a female baby may be aborted.

Did you ask at the apppointment? I'd think a lot of the ultrasound techs would tell you on the day if you asked....

• Advertisement

Well I had the scan yesterday and it was a complete and utter disaster :(

She didn't want my OH there with me she glared at him!
    The "bed" i was to lie on was flat with zero pillows so i had to hold myself up like I was doing sit ups to see the screen and she didn't even turn it towards me because she was obviously too busy doing her measurements
    She didn't want us asking questions either
    I got the feeling she'd have rathered i was unconscious for the whole scan so she could do her bit and get me out of there without talking at all

At the end though, and this is what really freaked me, my OH asked if everything was ok with the scan and her reply was "well my part of it was fine" i.e. she was there to measure the baby and its position and the level of fluid and all that was fine but it was bloody obvious she'd seen something and didn't want to tell us
    And i'm not being paranoid the hubby felt the same!

I am totally and completely freaked now
    :confused:

As the scan was in Ennis (where i attend my antenatal classes) but the babs will be born in Limerick I am going to ring Limerick first thing monday morning to find out if I can go down there for another scan and a more friendly sonographer to find out what the hell is going on

Didn't sleep a bit last night
    This time yesterday I was perfectly content with my pregnancy (other than the usual moans) but now i'm worried sick :(

As for the sex thing.... I'd have had a better chance of winning the lotto last night than getting an answer, we did ask and were told that its not her job to determine the sex of the child and that was not the purpose of the scan :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

If there was something wrong with the baby, protocol is to call in the doctor to have a second opinion and they'll tell you there and then. Don't get too worried. I would however complain about the sonographer,

If there was something wrong with the baby, protocol is to call in the doctor to have a second opinion and they'll tell you there and then. Don't get too worried. I would however complain about the sonographer,

The scan was in Ennis General there would have been no OB/GYN in the hospital to call!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Ennis are notorious for this kind of rubbish. Ring the Limerick labour ward and ask them / tell them. I doubt anything is actually wrong it was just her attitude problem.

You can ring the labour ward any time you like if you're concerned and they'll be able to pull out your file.

I agree with Adrieanne as well. Make a written complaint about that sonographer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

Don't worry too much, seems like the sonographer was having a bad day. I never heard of someone's partner being excluded like that. I would imagine the policy of not telling the sex is in case they get it wrong which is ridiculous as once the baby is positioned right any experienced sonographer will have no problem getting it right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

What I wish to say about Ennis General would have me banned from boards.

Write a letter to the hospital, stating you feel as though you and your partner were made feel very uncomfortable and you will not accept this sort of behaviour and if you are not issued with an apology from the sonographer in the near future, that you will be taking it further, and with the way that the public sector is being targeted in the next budget, they will need the support of everyone if it as bad as they say, and the last thing they need now is bad publicity, especially since Ennis is only open on a wing and a prayer! That will put the wind up them!

If you are unhappy with your scan, get Limerick to organise you another one, due to lawsuits a lot of hospitals will not tell you the gender, but sure, isn't that half the fun ;) I know you want to get the clothes brought over, could you not get them to bring them just in case?

Quick update
    Rang the maternity in limerick today (was allowing time for scan report to be sent from Ennis to Lmk)
    They were SOOOOO nice on the phone
    Seemingly Ennis General holds on to the scan reports every week until Wednesday when the Lmk midwives do the antenatal clinic in Ennis Outpatients
    The scans are taken to limerick wednesday evenings and reviewed on Thursday morning and if there is anything strange they will contact the mum to be to arrange a 2nd scan in Limerick

BUT
    She said if I was worried that I should ring on Thursday and someone would go through my scan results with me over the phone and if I'm still worried they will arrange a scan in limerick for me no probs

Feel much better now!
    (she also said I should write a letter of complaint to Manager at Ennis Gen)

Advertisement