Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earthing to Sink

Options
  • 14-10-2010 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi. I was wondering if anyone could tell me whether it is necessary to earth a sink which is in a granite worktop? I am buying an apartment and the surveyor said in his report that there was no earthing to the sink and that I would need to fix this. The vendor now tells me that it is not necessary as the worktop is granite. I presume this is to do with it not being a conductor. Does anyone know about this?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

is the basin metal ?

is it copper or plastic pipework?

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

If the pipework to the taps etc... or the basin are metal/copper, then you need to earth them.

Mike.

Mike2006 wrote: »
    If the pipework to the taps etc... or the basin are metal/copper, then you need to earth them.

Mike.

they are prob already earthed-it's a 'supplementary bond' if required

if a metal basin is fed in plastic it may not be extraneous at all

• Registered Users Posts: 37 DBF

The basin is metal. To be honest, I can't remember about the pipes.
    I guess I'll have to wait and see now. Hopefully it's not a big job if I have to sort it myself.
    Thanks for the help guys, appreciate it.

DBF wrote: »
    The basin is metal. To be honest, I can't remember about the pipes.
    I guess I'll have to wait and see now. Hopefully it's not a big job if I have to sort it myself.
    Thanks for the help guys, appreciate it.

if you can leave a 2.5 pvc earth from the nearest socket you're covered either way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 DBF

Ok. Thanks M cebee. I will get someone who knows more about it than me to look at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

M cebee wrote: »
    if you can leave a 2.5 pvc earth from the nearest socket you're covered either way

This is right. So it should not be too big a job to earth it. I think myself it should be earthed even if no copper pipes to it. The idea is in fault conditions, particularly a broken neutral on the esb side of the neutralising point that everything metal installed in the house will be at equal potential.

What do you think though about the fact the socket circuit earth is only 1.5 though. We know on rings the earth would of been equivelant to 3 square, but now its radials in kitchen.

Advertisement