Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Research on Ghosts in Kildare

Options
  • 14-10-2010 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭

I am currently conducting an investigation into alleged hauntings around Ireland would appreciate any info on Co Kildare. If you have any recommendations of places or buildings that would be open to research and investigation please let me know. A quick look through Google rules out the most famous Kildare cases so I'm looking for a little more off the beaten track.
    PM if you wish. Discretion assured.

Thanks in advance

The Major

Wo ist die Gemütlichkeit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Major Lovechild

bump.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Please don't bump threads - if someone has something to add, I'm sure they will :)

OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 prusselstown

Check out Kilkea Castle. It is located between Athy and Castledermot, there are a few stories of headless horsemen. Another one worth checking out is Whites Castle in the centre of Athy. It is owned by Dooley Auctioneers in Athy and contact them for further details.

Hope this is of some help to you

Thanks a million. Will look into it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

The Ghost Room in NUI Maynooth is a pretty famous one at this stage.

Links: http://www.spellfyre.com/html/stories/storydisplay.php?storyid=11

http://www.maynooth.org/?p=919

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

I had a ghost of a pigeon visit me two weeks ago

pigeon-harikari.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Tilt Gone

Aren't they doing something like this in the old castle on the main street in Athy this week??

Joe Public wrote: »
    I had a ghost of a pigeon visit me two weeks ago

pigeon-harikari.jpg

No. That's probably where you tried to clean your window with your underpants.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

Have a few stories, they may or may not be of use to you.

My Aunt's family were living in a recently-built estate just outside Kildare Town, jut over the railway bridge heading toward the Cill Dara golf club, don't know the name of the estate, it was built a few years after I had moved out of Kildare.

But anyway, they ended up selling the house and moving again within a year. They heard the stereotypical footsteps-up-the-stairs, banging doors and so on. Neighbours had similar experiences as well. They're not people prone to random hysteria either, they were pretty spooked about it.

I've heard some stories about the R.A.C.E centre as well. There's a house which is now the offices/admin building but at one stage, my Gran and Granddad lived there, think he was a caretaker of sorts at the time.

Anyway, my Gran has experienced hearing the heavy, locked front-door open up, thinking it was her husband, to find the door wide open and no-one around. My great-grandmother wouldn't go in the house on her own, she said something like 'I'm safer out here than I am in there'. This would have been around 1949/1950. I doubt you'll get anyone from R.A.C.E to talk to you about this, I've never heard any other reference to it being haunted outside my own family.

My own family home is in an old stable yard. We have never experienced a thing in it but any time extended family have stayed in it and been creeped out. I think it's jut because it's an old house and has all the bumps and noises that I would be completely oblivious to having lived there my whole life.

Weird story when my parents bought it, it had been in another family for generations. The house was falling into disrepair and the remaining family member slept in a little room under the stairs, on a camper bed with his shotgun next to him (no idea why). The upstairs bedrooms were filled with junk like empty food cans etc. When the sale went through, he said something like 'I'm sure the "Murphy" spirits will be glad to have you here'.

The only other event with the stable on the Curragh is to do with the lads coming back from the races really late at night. In those days, if you sent a horse to the races, you were normally paying the guy with the horse box who would drop horses back to different stables around the area. One night, they're coming back from Tralee or somewhere, they drop a horse into the yard around midnight and the head lad is just packing things up. Maybe a minute or two after the horsebox drives away, he sees someone running after it out of our yard, like someone got left behind. He calls them up to tell them that they forgot someone but no, everyone is accounted for so we have no idea who was running out of the place.

I remember another friend telling me a story of a soldier on 'watch' (I know nothing about the army, actual military terms are beyond me) in the Curragh Camp (a guy I had gone to school with) who was very spooked about something which prompted him to load his weapon. Now, again I know nothing about the army, but my friend said that this was just so out of the usual protocol, it was considered an extreme action for him to load his gun. He apparently had seen some sort of dark figure coming towards him which had prompted his actions. I'm hazy on the actual details but I'm sure I could find out the actual location from my friend and so on.

I'm not sure if any of this is in any way useful, I just saw your thread and my mind immediately jumped to these stories. I would love to hear more of this sort of thing from around Kildare Town in particular.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Gregsor

I love all this paranormal activity,keep us updated;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

Vim Fuego wrote: »

But anyway, they ended up selling the house and moving again within a year. They heard the stereotypical footsteps-up-the-stairs, banging doors and so on. Neighbours had similar experiences as well. They're not people prone to random hysteria either, they were pretty spooked about it.

If the two houses were attached then it was probably down to poor sound insulation from the party wall, or possibly even a cracked party wall. That can transmit sounds from one house into the neighbouring house such that it would seem to the neighbours that the sounds were generated in their own house. Believe me, for a while after I bought my house, everytime the neighbour went up or down his stairs I was frantically searching for an intruder in my house. Same with doors closing in the neighbouring house. And phones ringing. And people knocking on the front doors, could never tell whose door they were knocking on. Even the sound of water running in the pipes from the neighbours house was coming through like it was originating in my house (which it definitely wasn't as I had the water turned off at that time). Old houses built from mass concrete are particularily prone to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

There's a story that goes around in Prosperous about a man (ghost) that people have seen over the last 50 or so years.

Prosperous was central to the 1798 rising - I think it has something to do with that.

Anywho, the story goes that this man, who is nameless (but locals have nicknamed Limping Liam), was killed in action during the rising and his corpse was brought back to Prosperous on horse drawn carriage.

Apparently, the story goes, that the corpse fell off the carraige on the main street of Prosperous (around where the church is) and "Liam" magically got up and limped on up to the crossroads where he collapsed after limping the 50 yards or so.

He died there.

People claim to have seen a man limping around the church/main st area on and off for the past number of years - and apparently this has been doing the rounds for years.

I've also heard stories about a ghost in the old building up at Donadea Forest Park, but nothing as detailed as the Prosperous story.

Thank you so much guys. If anyone wishes to pm me with their real name I will be more than happy to thank you in any published material that may come up. Please keep them coming.

Thanks again

The Major

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

No. That's probably where you tried to clean your window with your underpants.

A pigeon actually crashed into the window in full flight and this was the mark left behind. The poor pigeon died and will probably come back to haunt the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Ive heard quite a few stories that the Rathasker area of Naas is quite haunted. Something about it being built on the sight of an old workhouse or Cromwell mass grave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭paranormal

i see whites castle athy is having an open investigation on Halloween night Keith and Angie Freeland are doing it.might be one for you to look at or not.never heard of anything going on in there before but you never know i suppose.
    http://www.kildare-nationalist.ie/tabId/201/itemId/5549/Ghost-hunting-in-Athy.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭fonda

Used to hear stories about Conolly's Folly between Leixlip and Maynooth about the devil appearing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conolly%27s_Folly

paranormal wrote: »
    i see whites castle athy is having an open investigation on Halloween night Keith and Angie Freeland are doing it.might be one for you to look at or not.never heard of anything going on in there before but you never know i suppose.
    http://www.kildare-nationalist.ie/tabId/201/itemId/5549/Ghost-hunting-in-Athy.aspx

Thanks Paranormal,
    True. I'm from Kildare and only just heard of alleged hauntings in White's Castle. Never a peep before. I'll wait until the Freelands have left as I am only into serious research and not the pantomime nonsense that they provide.

Thanks again. Keep 'em coming guys!

Joe Public wrote: »
    A pigeon actually crashed into the window in full flight and this was the mark left behind. The poor pigeon died and will probably come back to haunt the place.

Maybe the pigeon though you were Nikola Tesla.

• Advertisement

fonda wrote: »
    Used to hear stories about Conolly's Folly between Leixlip and Maynooth about the devil appearing.

Hi Fonda. Had a look at the Folly. Very impressive. Can you tell me more about what you heard please?

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭fonda

Hi Fonda. Had a look at the Folly. Very impressive. Can you tell me more about what you heard please?

Was quite young when I used to hear it but it was that if you walked backwards around it 12 times the devil would appear! And there was also supposed to be sightings of the devils hoofs under the arches! Don't know where these stories came from but definitely heard it more than once as a kid.

I grew up just down the road from it and it was quite an eerie place, it's been renovated at the moment but it used to be quite run down and the fact there is a grave under it made it all the more spooky to me when we were younger.

Just typing that made me think of another place further down the road called Kilmacredock Stud where people driving by it at night noticed strange goings on in their cars with lights coming on and off and car radios coming on and off and changing stations. One neighbor I remember was convinced she felt a presence in her car. These stories seemed a lot more believable than the devil stories above. There is an old run down church on the stud grounds that supposedly was an old burial ground.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=18+Rinawade+Grove,+Leixlip,+County+Kildare,+Ireland&ll=53.365035,-6.537423&spn=0.007823,0.027466&z=16&layer=c&cbll=53.365037,-6.533325&panoid=-UECd5j8YMTE2_TF-LoI7g&cbp=12,222.23,,0,4.42

Moved away from there quite a few years ago so dont know if the stories still go on up there. It used to be a much more rural community but Leixlip is right up on top of it now!

Thanks a million Fonda. This is definitely worth checking out. I will keep you posted on anything I find out.

To all the posters on this thread - a big thank you. If you hear of anything else in Kildare or have more details on your original posts please throw it on here.

Best

The Major.

Thank you Sandra. Will be in touch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭gflood

There are no such things as ghosts period. For hundreds of years they are reported but never captured correctly either on film or otherwise. Its all about human brain activity. If enough people believe a statue is moving and you walk into the same vicinity then your brain will also make you think its moving. Its a kind of groupthink.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 pixi11

I lived in an apartment in Kildare Town. It is where the old mondello blew up years ago and killed the owner. It was haunted. my god lots of us witnessed some freaky things. Pressure on our chest at night. Doors left open, lights coming on things being moved etc. It was so scarey and horrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭gflood

Well if I saw an apparation I would certainly go for the fecker. Throw something at it and try to punch and grab it. I'd want to know what the thing is made of.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

gflood wrote: »
    There are no such things as ghosts period. For hundreds of years they are reported but never captured correctly either on film or otherwise. Its all about human brain activity. If enough people believe a statue is moving and you walk into the same vicinity then your brain will also make you think its moving. Its a kind of groupthink.
    If you were to sit down fior half an hour and listen to some of the stuff my mother has encountered then you would change your mind (its mostly longford based and so of no use to the OP).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Folks, if you want to discuss the existance (or non existance) of ghosts, etc then take it to the Paranormal forum :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

fonda wrote: »

Never heard about the Devil actually appearing at Connolly's Folly, just the myth that you could summon him.

However, the devil was supposed to have been entertained by Tom Connolly in Castletown House.

Speeds

Advertisement