Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Research on Ghosts in Kildare

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

William Connolly who built the folly was involved with the Hellfire Club
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montpelier_Hill

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

kbannon wrote: »
    William Connolly who built the folly was involved with the Hellfire Club
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montpelier_Hill

William Connolly (Speaker Connolly) built the building that is called the Hell Fire Club, but as far as I know the club only started after his death. His Great-Nephew Tom Connolly who inherited all of Speaker Connolly's estates, was involved in the Hell Fire Club.

BTW, William Connolly is believed to have been the wealthiest Irishman ever, if you pro rata'd his wealth from the early 1700s to today he would out-wealth anyone today.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Major Lovechild

Does anyone have any information relating to and alleged excorsism in Naas in the last century?

Wo ist die Gemütlichkeit?

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭leddpipe

OP I grew up in Brownstown and living in Kildare at the moment.have heard hundreds of stories.because its all anecdotal im not sure if its of much use!The Curragh and Curragh camp would appear to be teaming with ghosts :D an earlier poster mentioned the soldier who was in duty in the magazine on the camp,where they store ammunition and weapons.i know him well.he did believe he saw a figure approaching the tower he was stationed at,which is about 20 foot above the ground.from a different source, I heard that the figure was able to rattler the handle of the door from the outside,despite the fact that the outside handle is removed and kept on the soldier for security reasons.he did in fact cock his weapon,and put a round in the chamber,which I suppose is serious enough in army terms.

whats interesting, is that my grandfather told me of an incident that happened at the same spot in the 60's,when he was stationed at the curragh.a man based in said tower,was out approaching the perimeter of the fence.he apparently heard waves and waves of shouting,screaming,clashing, neighing etc!he emtied a full magazine into the darkness in panic.that spot is in the very middle of the gibbet rath, an area where there was a massacre if irish rebels, I think in the late 1700's.you can look up the history online,but whats interesting is the stories that come from the spot.i recall hearing many similar stories of the sounds of battle coming from the area.back in the 80's,my uncle was travelling home to brownstown from kildare town. he reported hearing these same sounds coming from the area.he also mentioned how it seemed to come in waves.prayers have been said at the monument here in recent times, and I personally havnt heard anything since.

another area in the camp where I heard stories from was the fire station.my grandfather again told me of this, a military policeman who was on duty in the night in question told him.they got the story from the injured man after while he recovered in hospital.another man had been working on one of the engines in the lobby of the station.he heard the side door open, and footsteps walk around the engine and start up the stairs.he looked but saw no one, and assumed he had just missed them.some moments later,he heard a scream and the above mentioned injured man came over the banisters and landed on the ground.he later reported feeling a pushing sensation, and coldness , and was then forced over the banisters.other stories are a bit more vague and i cant remember the details.they relate to the golfclub,hospital,Transport yard beside centra, and a house on the terrace beside the grenade range.ill try remember more :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Nhead

leddpipe wrote: »
    OP I grew up in Brownstown and living in Kildare at the moment.have heard hundreds of stories.because its all anecdotal im not sure if its of much use!The Curragh and Curragh camp would appear to be teaming with ghosts :D an earlier poster mentioned the soldier who was in duty in the magazine on the camp,where they store ammunition and weapons.i know him well.he did believe he saw a figure approaching the tower he was stationed at,which is about 20 foot above the ground.from a different source, I heard that the figure was able to rattler the handle of the door from the outside,despite the fact that the outside handle is removed and kept on the soldier for security reasons.he did in fact cock his weapon,and put a round in the chamber,which I suppose is serious enough in army terms.

whats interesting, is that my grandfather told me of an incident that happened at the same spot in the 60's,when he was stationed at the curragh.a man based in said tower,was out approaching the perimeter of the fence.he apparently heard waves and waves of shouting,screaming,clashing, neighing etc!he emtied a full magazine into the darkness in panic.that spot is in the very middle of the gibbet rath, an area where there was a massacre if irish rebels, I think in the late 1700's.you can look up the history online,but whats interesting is the stories that come from the spot.i recall hearing many similar stories of the sounds of battle coming from the area.back in the 80's,my uncle was travelling home to brownstown from kildare town. he reported hearing these same sounds coming from the area.he also mentioned how it seemed to come in waves.prayers have been said at the monument here in recent times, and I personally havnt heard anything since.

another area in the camp where I heard stories from was the fire station.my grandfather again told me of this, a military policeman who was on duty in the night in question told him.they got the story from the injured man after while he recovered in hospital.another man had been working on one of the engines in the lobby of the station.he heard the side door open, and footsteps walk around the engine and start up the stairs.he looked but saw no one, and assumed he had just missed them.some moments later,he heard a scream and the above mentioned injured man came over the banisters and landed on the ground.he later reported feeling a pushing sensation, and coldness , and was then forced over the banisters.other stories are a bit more vague and i cant remember the details.they relate to the golfclub,hospital,Transport yard beside centra, and a house on the terrace beside the grenade range.ill try remember more :)

Ah the story about the magazine has got around the Curragh, I know the guy too and he ain't a spoofer!!! I knew a family on the Curragh and they were haunted by a ghost of a British Army man-they used to see him quite often.

• Advertisement

Nhead wrote: »
    Ah the story about the magazine has got around the Curragh, I know the guy too and he ain't a spoofer!!! I knew a family on the Curragh and they were haunted by a ghost of a British Army man-they used to see him quite often.

where was that Nhead?not exact address :p
    just general area! <no pun intended>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Nhead

where was that Nhead?not exact address :p
    just general area! <no pun intended>

Straight across from the old swimming pool:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

djimi wrote: »
    Ive heard quite a few stories that the Rathasker area of Naas is quite haunted. Something about it being built on the sight of an old workhouse or Cromwell mass grave.

I know this was posted ages ago.
    But I live near Rathasker, and now I'm scared!
    Anyone know anything more about this mass grave?

I know this was posted ages ago.
    But I live near Rathasker, and now I'm scared!
    Anyone know anything more about this mass grave?

why would you be scared?its such a struggle for paranormal enthusiasts to find evidence of hauntings etc, I doubt anything will happen!if it does,let me know!:cool:

Thank so much for that info guys. PMs sent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

why would you be scared?its such a struggle for paranormal enthusiasts to find evidence of hauntings etc, I doubt anything will happen!if it does,let me know!:cool:

Just weird things at night here since we moved in.

I don't believe in ghosts and such usually.

That said, when you're all alone in the middle of the night, and coldness and noise follows you about, logic isn't enough!

If you'd like to elaborate you can PM me if you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

Castletown house in Celbridge? Cant remember the whole story but there was a card game etc and hooves were seen under the table?Im sure someone else can give better details xx

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/reading-room/history-heritage/folklore-of-ireland/folklore-folk-tales-and-c/ghosts-and-spirits/tom-connolly-and-the-devi/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭maccored

is this research still on-going?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

boxerly wrote: »
    Castletown house in Celbridge? Cant remember the whole story but there was a card game etc and hooves were seen under the table?Im sure someone else can give better details xx

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/reading-room/history-heritage/folklore-of-ireland/folklore-folk-tales-and-c/ghosts-and-spirits/tom-connolly-and-the-devi/

i thought it was something that the devils hoof cracked the fireplace??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭paul71

daheff wrote: »
    i thought it was something that the devils hoof cracked the fireplace??

I remember fragments of this story, suposedly a traveller called to Castletown house one night during a storm asked for shelter. He ended up in a card game with whichever Connolly was head of the family at the time and several other guests, someone noticed he had cloven hooves cried out and the devil disappeared into the fireplace where there is still a crack.

Most likely it was an excuse invented to explain damage caused by a drunken party!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Antikythera

maccored wrote: »
    is this research still on-going?

Who ya gonna call?...
    GHOSTBUSTERS!

The research is still going on.

Who ya gonna call?...
    GHOSTBUSTERS!

After a google, I'd say http://www.facebook.com/pages/Haunted-Kildare/213971578643369 .

Reading the Haunted Kildare facebook page, its terrible to see they didnt get enough local support and interest to write the book. They got no stories. Haunted Kilkenny is being published instead.

Surely that cant be right? Surely Kildare people give a toss enough to get a book published nationally on local ghost stories?

Say it aint so Kildare people .....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 quint101

When I was about 4 years old I saw a royalty figure in connollys folly. It walked through one of teh arches. I never seen a ghost scince but that experience will always stay with me..

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

Ive heard stories from a few people who work in whitewater shopping centre that there is some kind of ghost around the centre. Place was built on an old hospital and mortuary before the Irish Ropes was there so maybe a connection ?http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,680404,714801,7,9

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

paul71 wrote: »
    I remember fragments of this story, suposedly a traveller called to Castletown house one night during a storm asked for shelter. He ended up in a card game with whichever Connolly was head of the family at the time and several other guests, someone noticed he had cloven hooves cried out and the devil disappeared into the fireplace where there is still a crack.

Apparently that happened in the Hell Fire club in the Dublin Mountains and Loftus Hall on the Hook peninsula too :rolleyes: ... The Devil sure is a sh!t card player.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 hrygth

Does anyone have any information relating to and alleged excorsism in Naas in the last century?

I am currently living in an old B&B with my boyfriend that is owned by his family. Last night we heard some ghost stories from his aunt who resides in another part of the house.

The first story is about a piece of art hanging on the landing. It is a mother of pearl/ivory/wooden sculpture/portrait of an eagle and several other birds. It was picked up in an auction about 40 years ago and originally hung in the family home. The youngest sister (my boyfriend's other aunt) would often feel weird energy around it, and occasionally have physical reactions to it. Later on it was hung in the family B&B, where guests would report similar incidents. Finally they brought a priest in to exorcise it. When he read the blessing a energy burst from the picture and knocked him over. Apparently that was the end of it.

The other stories are mostly just shadows and a strange light that appeared after other family members passed on.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Karlitto

Hey,

You should check out the grounds of castletown house,

Many times have I been down there on my own or with another person and we see some weird things, objects moving that looks like a person in the distance, but much faster than a person could move. Weird noises out of the blue. Strange mist patterns coming out of nowhere etc.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

That's just your eyes/brain playing tricks on you.

Can't believe the amount of people who still allow their imaginations to run wild on them.

Beruthiel wrote: »
    That's just your eyes/brain playing tricks on you.

Can't believe the amount of people who still allow their imaginations to run wild on them.

Thanks for your opinion, but sadly, no one asked for it.

I am simply trying to help out the OP, so shoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,106 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Karlitto wrote: »
    Hey,

You should check out the grounds of castletown house,

Many times have I been down there on my own or with another person and we see some weird things, objects moving that looks like a person in the distance, but much faster than a person could move. Weird noises out of the blue. Strange mist patterns coming out of nowhere etc.

I had that experience at Castletown House too, turned out to be Barbara Streisand.

I just upped your post as it was win!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭daveyeh

Ghosts aren't real

Advertisement