Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What info do you need in order to rent

Options
  • 14-10-2010 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

I am just waiting on a visa for ozz at the moment. I’m getting the 457 and have a 3 year contract lined up, I hope to have it in a day or two as iv been at it 5 months now. I’m am just wondering what sort of info i will need to rent an apartment as I don’t want to be hanging around in hostels for weeks trying to rent a place. I’m aware of the bond and what not but what other sort of info will they need as? Just want to have it all in place really. Ill be based in Melbourne, hopefully near Richmond or Brunswick area. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Not sure about Melbourne Cooper but a lot of these agents and landlords like a good rental history. Not easy to get since you are a newbie

My advice is to be well organised and try and get a letter from your boss to say that you are decent sort, maybe a copy your bank account to show you have plenty of funds.

Copy of passport
    Copy of Aussie licence if possible or medicare card
    Employers details

Also I see it took 5 months for your 457 to come through, funny I know someone who is waiting and they are on the 6 month mark and had to go back to Ireland as their 2nd WHV ended.... obviously there must be a bit more of a spike in 457 applications recently since the skilled migration is dragging like a snakes co*k

Not sure how these people coming out on tourist visa's in the hope of getting sponsorship would manage to survive for that length of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭cooper90

cheers for that, think ill just have to forge a few refrences as a letter from Mum wont really count haha. Ya i hear that 5 months is pretty quick and thats was with me taking my time as i had to time geting it with a few other things but i had a lawyer doing all for me so I think i had it easy.

A 457 would take about 5 weeks back in the good old days, not surprised at the blow out ...sponsorship is mentioned in every 2nd post these days.

wow thats fast. I know a guy whos at it almost two years as hes haveing trouble proveing his relationship with his girlfriend.

In terms of the bond would they like to see an irishbank acount or an ozzi one? I presurme i should ask for a copy of my contract to show a proff of income as i have very little money going over.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Beachband

Out of interest, did you apply for the job from Ireland, or were you already previously working in Oz?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Traq

mandrake04 wrote: »
    I know someone who is waiting and they are on the 6 month mark and had to go back to Ireland as their 2nd WHV ended....

Surely they would just have automatically gone on to a bridging visa??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Thread is heading hopelessly off topic from rentals.

Are you looking to share or rent alone? I think houseshare would be easier to get.

For renting alone they will want to know you are of good character and can afford the rent. You'll need references, typically they will call these people and ask how long they have known you and if you are of good character. They will also call your employer and ask what you are earning and if your job is secure. If this looks in anyway questionable they will ask you to show you have means to support yourself (i.e. pay rent) if you lose your job, this will involve bank statements showing savings. The agent will collate all this information into a folio for the landlord, of which there may be one or more prospective tenants. The landlord will have a look and do one of two things, pick one or tell the agent to reject the applications and go back to market.

Traq wrote: »

Thats what I thought, but I don't know any more details about it as its a friend of a friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

Thats what I thought, but I don't know any more details about it as its a friend of a friend.

Ya he should have gone onto Bridging Visa A. My 457 was granted last week after only 5 weeks, one week before my WHV visa expired so didn't actually go on bridging visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

I'm in the same situation in Sydney at the moment cooper, have been bouncing around hostels looking for somewhere for the last couple of weeks. Its head wrecked to be honest.

I dunno how it works in Melbourne but basically it used to be like home you would call an agent, arrange a viewing, give deposit and sign contracts etc.
    Though the agencies in Sydney now have a set viewing time, mostly on Saturday mornings. You get to see the place for about 10 minutes and you have to more or less put an application in on the spot. If you're application is approved then you get the place. Thing is there could be another 40 people in the queue behind you who all put the application in too, its a rat race really.

Worst thing is most viewings are between 11 - 2pm and its a pain trying to make them especially if you are looking in different areas. Thats just Sydney though, maybe Melbourne will be a lot easier.

Basically have the following:

1. Copy of your work contract

2. Bank account statements showing money in your account (This is a balls for the first couple of weeks cause your account wont be set up)

3. Copy of your visa

4. Copy of drivers license or passport

5. 2 x references (An employers reference is perfect or previous landlord)

6. 4 weeks rental bond!. Can be upto 2k depending on the lease. A one bed ****hole in Sydney CBD is about $600 a week :eek: So bond would be $2400!

To be honest, if you share the bond will be a lot less and there is a good chance you wont have to pay a bond. So maybe look at shared accomodation until you find your feet...

• Advertisement

Feelgood wrote: »
    If you're application is approved then you get the place. Thing is there could be another 40 people in the queue behind you who all put the application in too, its a rat race really.
    Is that a slight exaggeration? I've rarely seen that many people at an inspection and they certainly will not all have put in an application.

As far as rents go, it's more expensive than Dublin but the wages are higher too in my opinion. Unless you're earning over 100k a year you won't be looking for a 600 per week one bed in the CBD. Even then I'd question why you would want to live there.

its not an exaggeration I been to loads of rental open houses and they had at least 30+ viewing them...It was like a giant conga line tramping through the place

The house across the street had a viewing last Saturday and there was at least 15-20. Its the same for buying I went to one open house and there were 60+ people there.

You would expect Sydney to be more expensive than Dublin, its a major city with 4.5M population... Dublin is not in the same league its only ranked as 29th in the Global Financial Centres Index and Sydney is 10th.

600 pw in CBD wouldn't be a great gaff, you would need to pay at least 700-850 to get something of good standard. Better to get a share house somewhere around the innerwest beside a train line... only 20 mins to the city.

Feelgood ...Burwood or Croydon is really popular with Irish people especially those longterm on 457, if you ask around you might get a room in a good house.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭padrepio

I'm in the same situation in Sydney at the moment cooper, have been bouncing around hostels looking for somewhere for the last couple of weeks. Its head wrecked to be honest.

I dunno how it works in Melbourne but basically it used to be like home you would call an agent, arrange a viewing, give deposit and sign contracts etc.
    Though the agencies in Sydney now have a set viewing time, mostly on Saturday mornings. You get to see the place for about 10 minutes and you have to more or less put an application in on the spot. If you're application is approved then you get the place. Thing is there could be another 40 people in the queue behind you who all put the application in too, its a rat race really.

Worst thing is most viewings are between 11 - 2pm and its a pain trying to make them especially if you are looking in different areas. Thats just Sydney though, maybe Melbourne will be a lot easier.

Basically have the following:

1. Copy of your work contract

2. Bank account statements showing money in your account (This is a balls for the first couple of weeks cause your account wont be set up)

3. Copy of your visa

4. Copy of drivers license or passport

5. 2 x references (An employers reference is perfect or previous landlord)

6. 4 weeks rental bond!. Can be upto 2k depending on the lease. A one bed ****hole in Sydney CBD is about $600 a week :eek: So bond would be $2400!

To be honest, if you share the bond will be a lot less and there is a good chance you wont have to pay a bond. So maybe look at shared accomodation until you find your feet...

Those open viewings are a nightmare. A landlord's/estate agent wet dream. The quality of accomodation in a lot of places is diabolical too but the demand is huge.

Have you tried flatmatefinders.com.au - a lot of Aussies use it anyway. Better than dealing with estate agents and the like.

its not an exaggeration I been to loads of rental open houses and they had at least 30+ viewing them...It was like a giant conga line tramping through the place
    Usually in my experience with inspections the cheaper places will have a lot of people inspecting, very few will apply and even fewer will meet the criteria.
    600 pw in CBD wouldn't be a great gaff, you would need to pay at least 700-850 to get something of good standard. Better to get a share house somewhere around the innerwest beside a train line... only 20 mins to the city.
    Why would anyone want to live in the CBD though? If you want to live within 30 minutes walk of anywhere in the CBD you'll have plenty of choice in that budget.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Just line up a house share. Try gumtree for it. There should be loads of choice there. Then after a few months when you have settled in and like the area you can start looking for a flat. Also summer is the worst time to try and find a place. Better wait till winter.

ballooba wrote: »
    Usually in my experience with inspections the cheaper places will have a lot of people inspecting, very few will apply and even fewer will meet the criteria.

Wouldn't always be the case, most people I know would prefer to pay a little more for a decent place rather than a sh!thole.

Why would anyone want to live in the CBD though? If you want to live within 30 minutes walk of anywhere in the CBD you'll have plenty of choice in that budget.

Sydney has a rental vacancy rate of around 1.6-2% there are a few out there but you still have to be sharp.

Sydney has a rental vacancy rate of around 1.6-2% there are a few out there but you still have to be sharp.
    Especially given the recent Irish experience I would not be so quick to buy into industry PR/propaganda. See this recent article regarding the supposed housing shortage: http://www.crikey.com.au/2010/10/12/housing-shortage-dont-dwell-on-it-there-isnt-one/

It's true that housesharing can shield you from much of the hassle of getting a rental. There's plenty of space available to share. It has it's own hassles. If you do decide to rent your own place then make sure to do so with a level head.

Equally I wouldn't believe everything I read online.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Feelgood ...Burwood or Croydon is really popular with Irish people especially those longterm on 457, if you ask around you might get a room in a good house.

Cheers for that Mandrake I will check these out. I guess this is the main reason why I have been looking in the CBD, I don't really know anywhere else!. Its tricky to know the good areas when you're fresh off the boat.

Am working out in St. Leonards, so have been looking at areas on the north shore line but again it all falls back on the once a week open viewing crap on Saturdays. I managed to see 2 places on Saturday just about and neither one of them looked anything like the advertised pictures.

Its a pity they haven't got agencies here that you can give your details to and they find you somewhere to live depending on your requirements?. Or do they?.

I managed to see 2 places on Saturday just about and neither one of them looked anything like the advertised pictures.
    The photos are seldom accurate. Usually either out of date, wide angle lens or photoshopped.

• Advertisement

what about arangeing viewings before i get to melbourne? i have a month before i start work but would hope to only be in the hostle for 10 days or so!

cooper90 wrote: »
    what about arangeing viewings before i get to melbourne? i have a month before i start work but would hope to only be in the hostle for 10 days or so!
    House sharing or own lease? I think 10 days is possible but optimistic if you want to have any kind of choice.

House sharing or own lease? I think 10 days is possible but optimistic if you want to have any kind of choice.

no my own place! iv a mate from the states coming over for a year and then an other mate form home in about 6 months time so were looking forward to haveing our own pad!

cooper90 wrote: »
    no my own place! iv a mate from the states coming over for a year and then an other mate form home in about 6 months time so were looking forward to haveing our own pad!
    I think getting a lease turned around in that space of time is very optimistic. For starters you probably need a vacant premises, then you're relying on the admin stuff to be quick including agent, landlord and property manager.

Traq wrote: »
    s.c wrote: »
    Ya he should have gone onto Bridging Visa A. My 457 was granted last week after only 5 weeks, one week before my WHV visa expired so didn't actually go on bridging visa.

heard a bit more about this today, apparently the nomination got rejected as the sponsor f**ked something up. That probably ended the bridging visa I suppose no nomination means no point, think he is getting sponsored by a friend of the original employer.

shebango wrote: »
    Just a question with regards renting - a lot of places seem to come unfurnished... Is that the norm or is it equally possible to get a furnished place?

Unfurnished is the standard, you can get places that are furnished especially in backpacker or tourist areas but be prepared to pay.

Best off trying to get a room in an already established gaff with similar people to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭myhorse

Sorry I didnt get to this sooner but maybe of some help to someone.

Most of it's already been mentioned but there maybe something useful in this:

All estate agents have tenancy agreements that need to be filled in. Before going to a viewing have your downloaded filled in and ready to hand over there and then if you like the place. It can be a big advantage.

Have photocopies of official ID with you (drivers license and / or passport are the best and the originals on you so the agent can check and tick the box. Again they are not going to waste time chasing you for them as they can pick from any number of applicants).

Have a letter from employer if you can.

If you are staying in a hostel / hotel / other accomadation have a letter saying you were paying on time/ no trouble etc. DO NOT b..s... them on this - they check and are very strict in 99% of the cases - certainly the types of places you would want to live in. So dont put down a fictious letter with a mates number on it.

If you are in an area with a large backpacker population the agents know every trick in the book and more besides so be as straight as you can.

Also be realistic. Agents have to go to the owner and let them know who they suggest as a tenant. If , as an example, I went for a place against 50 whv'ers etc I will get the place everytime. Dont take this as a negative but there are thousands of Aussies also looking for places so you are up against them.

My best advice is if you know some one with a lease running out go to the letting agent before they advertise and present your documents etc. It could save the owner having a place empty for even a week and it makes a difference as they want every penny they can get. Also dont be afraid to go in to an agent and say that if they have any place coming up (lease expiring) that you would be interested to view if possible and if you like the place you are ready to move in the second the others move out. again the agent gets the same from the owner but with no hassle for either party i.e having to advertise, arrange viewings, potentially having the place empty for a week.

Advertisement