Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me free online file storage

Options
  • 14-10-2010 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭

If this is in the wrong forum I apologise and perhaps a mod could move it.

Long story short: my work has two offices on opposite sides of the city. It's been decided that the easiest way of accessing files wherever we are is by online file storage, but since it's only about 20mb they're not too keen on paying for it. Can anyone recommend a good, free, online file storage website with a decent batch uploader?

Cheers in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

kylith wrote: »
    If this is in the wrong forum I apologise and perhaps a mod could move it.

Long story short: my work has two offices on opposite sides of the city. It's been decided that the easiest way of accessing files wherever we are is by online file storage, but since it's only about 20mb they're not too keen on paying for it. Can anyone recommend a good, free, online file storage website with a decent batch uploader?

Cheers in advance.

I HEART Dropbox - couldn't survive without it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

If it is only 20MB why not just email it? You can secure the data even with something as easy as winzip.

As for a site to use i use www.humyo.com it is really secure and free, if both offices have the login details they can access the data easily

https://www.humyo.com/pages/en/free-online-file-storage

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

TBH, we're a franchise with our offices in the building of the company that we franchise from and we want to make sure that there's no way their snoopy elves can access our data by, say, checking our email or remotely accessing our files (since we're on their LAN). Having our sensetive info stored on off-site servers seems to be the best way of doing that without the perpetual terror of losing the flash drive everything's saved on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

kylith wrote: »
    TBH, we're a franchise with our offices in the building of the company that we franchise from and we want to make sure that there's no way their snoopy elves can access our data by, say, checking our email or remotely accessing our files (since we're on their LAN). Having our sensetive info stored on off-site servers seems to be the best way of doing that without the perpetual terror of losing the flash drive everything's saved on.

If security is that important why are you looking for a free solution?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

cormee wrote: »
    I HEART Dropbox - couldn't survive without it!

Dropbox all the way. You get 2Gb if you just sign up on www.dropbox.com
    Or a 2.25Gb (and I get a few extra Mb) if you use this referral link
    http://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTQzOTQ3OTk

If your information is sensitive you can use Truecrypt to encrypt it.

You can install the app on as many PCs as you want (and your iPhone or Android) and it'll keep them all in sync.

• Advertisement

cormee wrote: »
    If security is that important why are you looking for a free solution?
    Show me the boss who wants to pay for anything they can get for free.

GAAman wrote: »
    If it is only 20MB why not just email it? You can secure the data even with something as easy as winzip.

As for a site to use i use www.humyo.com it is really secure and free, if both offices have the login details they can access the data easily

https://www.humyo.com/pages/en/free-online-file-storage
    That seems perfect. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

Dropbox ftw!!

Advertisement