Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any of you ever buy from cycletaiwan.com?

• 14-10-2010 11:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭

Some of their items seem VERY nicely priced and the shipping is free.

http://www.cycletaiwan.com

Anyone here have any experience with them?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Scien wrote: »
    The list goes on. Stay clear of importing from Asia.

Wha?

I bought crabon wheels from Singapore. Excellent service, good product, good price, no duty or VAT (*).

* The last time we discussed this, the consensus was that if you made no effort to evade these charges, and customs didn't pick them up, then you were under no obligation to pay since there was no practical mechanism for doing so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Fair play to you for evading the taxes but not everyone gets away with it.

Sorry for off-topic, but to be clear: I didn't evade taxes; they were not applied. There is a massive difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

If the goods are manufactured in Taiwan could they be subject to the anti-dumping levy also?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

ADD is applied to certain goods from certain manufactures from certain countries, it does not apply wholesale to China or any other country.

The only way to know if ADD is applied to goods from cycletaiwan is to look it up, I suspect it is not EDIT ...

http://chongbanphagia.vn/beta/en/news/2010-07-14/eu-starts-review-bike-dumping-china-0

"the dumping duties of 48.5% on bikes imported from China will remain in force up to January 1, 2012."

ouch ... complete bikes only? Never heard of this applied to Chinese Frames ....

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Velo Bro

Ah! It's no wonder the country is in such a state..................:D:p!!!

Velo Bro!

rob1891 wrote: »
    ADD is applied to certain goods from certain manufactures from certain countries, it does not apply wholesale to China or any other country.

The only way to know if ADD is applied to goods from cycletaiwan is to look it up, I suspect it is not.

Thanks. I had a thought that it was certain industries within certain countries. I had nothing to qualify that thought, however. Cheers for clearing it up:)

Check out the TARIC website for applicable levies.
    Bicycle code: 8712003000
    Taiwan seems to be 14%, then again Hong Kong was supposed to be also.
    Make sure you find out the origin of the bike before your seller ships it to you.

It'd actually be Bike Parts which would interest me so, without looking into it, the 4.7% would apply I guess.

Assuming one isn't fortunate enough to avoid customs then our own VAT at 21% would be applied after the 4.7% plus a handling charge. Anything else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

Lemag wrote: »
    ... VAT at 21% would be applied after the 4.7% plus a handling charge.

Anybody know if its 21% of the value listed on the package or estimated by customs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Anybody know if its 21% of the value listed on the package or estimated by customs?

The last delivery I recieved customs sent a letter to me looking for a paypal reciept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

I'm not seeing any bargains there at all lads, the hongfu/ebay carbon frames are much cheaper.

CPL 593H

furiousox wrote: »
    I'm not seeing any bargains there at all lads, the hongfu/ebay carbon frames are much cheaper.

They have a frameset for $899 (about €650) with a claimed weight of 820g with an accompanying fork weighing 360.

They have carbon wheelsets for $599 (€430)

They have a very light Recon cassette (87g) which I recently bought elsewhere for €119+ P&P which they are selling for $128 (€92).

I haven't looked through everything but these are some of the items to have caught my eye. I haven't really looked into them however so, besides the cassette, I have no idea of their quality.

Their postage and packaging is free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

Depends on how much of a weight weenie you are but here's a quick example.
    1 carbon frame@1100g for $288 + $60 postage = E249

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320591503993&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

CPL 593H

furiousox wrote: »
    Depends on how much of a weight weenie you are but here's a quick example.
    1 carbon frame@1100g for $288 + $60 postage = E249

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320591503993&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Looks nice enough and some of the deals from HF probably represent better value again when you purchase a full frameset but if the claimed weights for this taiwan crowd are correct then, compared with similarly light frames they are very good value (if customs don't pick up on it). Their claimed weight for the cassette which I bought is actually 2g heavier than what I got using my electronic scales.

For a group buy of 4 they are offering a frameset for $699 each. The fame weight is claimed to be 870g for their smallest size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Lemag wrote: »
    Some of their items seem VERY nicely priced and the shipping is free.

http://www.cycletaiwan.com

Anyone here have any experience with them?

Ya I've used them before to buy a frame and wasn't happy as there was a surcharge on the order on top of the price advertised on the website. Best to email them first for available and actual price before placing your order although I thought the quality of the frame was poor and its one place I'm never going to use again.

I'm sceptical about the hong-fu stuff but prices look good. Yan Kelly is a Chinese seller I've used a lot on ebay and the stuff has been top quality and never got caught for customs.

http://myworld.ebay.com/yan_kelly/

They have a website and prices are cheaper on that but can't rememeber it.

Advertisement