Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tellamore or tullamore?

Options
  • 14-10-2010 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭

Moved in with a guy from tullamore and he pronounces it tellamore. Im from west offaly and i've always heard it pronounced tullamore.

The spelling is tullamore so i assume im right? :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭bestleftfull3

hes probaly from clara thats how they pronounce it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭MIRMIR82

Mrs. Cowen is that you?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 dianeh

haha...gud one about Clara :D

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭bestleftfull3

its sooo true they to be headin into "tellamore" for their weekly shopping !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Did someone "axe" a question here?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭The Scawgeen

wobbles-grogan from West Offaly axed the question, being from North West Offaly meself we pernounce it 'Tallamore' :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

wobbles-grogan from West Offaly axed the question, being from North West Offaly meself we pernounce it 'Tallamore' :D

Not sure on my points but im from durrow, pronounce it tullamore. Im guessing yer wan axing the question likes 'crips' too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

and a sangwitch.

would that be a hang or a sala sangwitch ?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭PaulieG

I'm from Tullamore and I've been told by my country cousins that we townies can't say chocolate without dragging out the first syllable, pronouncing it chalk-lit!!

• Advertisement

We seem to use the word 'peg' for 'throw' quiet a lot. 'Peg your refuse in the bin' or 'peg in the ball' or 'I pegged out all me records years ago' I hope I've spelled it right as it may be an anglicization of some word for throw in Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

I use "horse" instead of .. Well, most words.

Horse it into the bin
    she horsed into him
    I horsed into that Chinese
    ect

I think I'm guilty of using the horse word also:D

Advertisement