Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

surf shop reccomendation for winter suit

Options
  • 14-10-2010 11:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Hi,

I am about to buy my first winter wetsuit, being using a 3/2 up to now. I would perfer to support a surf shop on the west coast if possible than to buy online. Where would you reccomend and which wet suit , budget is anywhere from 150 to 250.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭CRenegade

I've always found Lahinch Surf Shop and Bundoran Surf Company very helpful and friendly.

For a Winter suit a 5:3 mm suit would be good - thats 5mm on the core and upper body area and 3mm on the arms and legs. But the guys in the shops will know a lot more and help you find the best suit for your needs.

You may want a hood and gloves depending on whether or not your going to surf right through the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I've a c-skins 6/4/3, chest zip suit with a hood, it's really warm but I find it a pain to get out of (maybe it's me) and find it very bulkey in the water.

5/3 would be good but get 5 or 7mm boots I'd been using 3 mm boots before and it makes such a difference to have better boots. Get them one size smaller, aka if you take size ten shoes get size nine boots as you want a snug fit

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭keryl

Hi I got the classic ripcurl in the spring sale for 150, 5mm. then it's extra for the boots and hat, you'll need them.

Go to Exposure in Castlebar if your local to the town.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Japer

W00LEY wrote: »
    Hi,

I am about to buy my first winter wetsuit, being using a 3/2 up to now. I would perfer to support a surf shop on the west coast if possible than to buy online. Where would you reccomend and which wet suit , budget is anywhere from 150 to 250.

Thanks

Get a 5/3 suit, you will get a good make like c-skins who have some model wetsuits in that price range. As someone else said you may also want a hood + boots + gloves to get through the winter, so may want to factor that in to your budget. If in the Sligo area, sunset watersports have a great selection, keenly priced. www.sunset.ie

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,240 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The surf shop in Louisburgh Co Mayo is great, they deal mostly in Excel. They're very good at giving discounts etc. Their bargain rail is always worth a look, my friend got a brand new 6/5/4 Excel suit for 190 euro their a couple of weeks ago!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭iamthe43

Hi OP

Could i suggest that you buy online, from a surf shop in Sligo that shut down a few years ago and are struggling to shift stock.

Ive bought a good bit of stuff from them and you wont find cheaper stuff than this

see for yourself:
    http://shop.ebay.ie/granuaile01/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p4340

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭keryl

Mickeroo wrote: »
    The surf shop in Louisburgh Co Mayo is great, they deal mostly in Excel. They're very good at giving discounts etc. Their bargain rail is always worth a look, my friend got a brand new 6/5/4 Excel suit for 190 euro their a couple of weeks ago!

Didn't even know there was one in Louisburgh, is it on Bridge St?
    Would certainly give them custom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

The nearest one to you, so if you have a problem with the suit, you don't have to cross half the country to sort out

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,240 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

keryl wrote: »
    Didn't even know there was one in Louisburgh, is it on Bridge St?
    Would certainly give them custom.

Yea it's on bridge street pretty much straight across from the supermarket, you'll know its open if theres a little orange surfboard shaped sign above the door. Here it is on google street view:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=louisburgh,+co.+mayo&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=32.252269,79.013672&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Louisburgh,+County+Mayo,+Ireland&ll=53.763275,-9.808924&spn=0.005873,0.01929&z=16&layer=c&cbll=53.76334,-9.808812&panoid=ZF9HAVOw-JhByZW8JNLzfA&cbp=12,161.68,,1,16.42

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Daniel S

I got a West Lotus 6/5 with hood for €200 in Ocean Scene in Lahinch, it's a really nice suit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement