Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you do a starter on Christmas day ?

Options
  • 14-10-2010 12:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭

Over the last few years i've done a starter on christmas day and they have gone down well, just wondering does anyone else and what do that do.

Last year i did black pudding, topped with stewed apple and wrapped in pastry.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,200 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Roasted and Stuffed mushrooms with some Vino, mmm christmas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Roasted and Stuffed mushrooms with some Vino, mmm christmas

Stuffed with vino................:D

Oh the previous year i did brie wrapped in parma ham and cooked in balsamic vinegar on a griddle pan......yum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

black pudding, scallop on top, drizzle of sweet chili sauce, and some salad with croutons and crushed bacon from the cooking of the turkey sprinkled on top

black pudding, scallop on top, drizzle of sweet chili sauce, and some salad with croutons and crushed bacon from the cooking of the turkey sprinkled on top

That sounds good but can the sweet chilli sauce not over power the simple sweetness of the scallop ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

We usually just do soup for starter most years, I made the mistake one year of filling up on little rolls with the soup and struggled through the dinner!! :mad:

We have homemade soup for lunch most days so it would be like a work day lunch.........don't want that:D

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Getting there

We usually have a prawn cocktail under some guise. Very retro ;)

Because we usually have so many people for xmas dinner, it seems to be something that everybody like young and old. Last year it had an avocadoey twist, who knows what this year will bring.

That sounds good but can the sweet chilli sauce not over power the simple sweetness of the scallop ?

not at all, it bring out the sweetness and have you ever tried a piece of black pudding with some sweet chili sauce - try it - it is fab.

We usually have a prawn cocktail under some guise. Very retro ;)

Because we usually have so many people for xmas dinner, it seems to be something that everybody like young and old. Last year it had an avocadoey twist, who knows what this year will bring.

prawn cocktail is probably one of the tastiest starters around - its only the food snobs that turn their nose up to it saying it is so old fashioned - well so is lamb shank - that used to be the cheapest meat in the butchers, but now graces every gourmet restaurant table.

I LOVE prawn cocktail and would serve it with pride and my guests never leave a scrap behind :D:D it always features in our house at christmas

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I've made French Onion Soup the past two Christmases, mmmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Mary-Ellen

We do a mushroom volevent hmmmmm.
    Well for me cause I'm veggie :D
    A combination of ham and turkey gets thrown into my parents ones though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

My mum usually does a prawn and avocados thing. I don't like that so I'd either get some soup or paté and crackers. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Glass of red! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Keith186

KFC Bucket delish! !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

I really don't think you need starters on christmas day the dinner is massive and we always have dessert too

Having said that my mam always used to have soup and rolls it's too filling though
    Recent years she's been doing prawn cocktail (my favourite especially with a little apple in it yummy!)

The black pudding recipies sound lovely though and not too filling I'd imagine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 kelly1939

I dont think it feels like christmas with out a prawn cocktail before the main but thats just me:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

smoked salmon, philly, prawns mmm mmm mmm!

or

deep fried cheese :D.

we usually have starter as kind of a late breakfast, maybe 1.5 to 2 hours before dinner and then dessert is like tea later on in the evening.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

We have prawn cocktails I think, but that disgusts me, so I don't really have anything. :) Also, don't eat Turkey or Ham, so I have a pretty vegetarian Christmas dinner. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Yeah Prawn cocktail too, or melon with parma ham or smoked salmon and brown bread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 kelly1939

hmmmmmm deep fried cheese might do me some of that too, with honey and mustard sauce:D

kelly1939 wrote: »
    hmmmmmm deep fried cheese might do me some of that too, with honey and mustard sauce:D

are ye talking about things like the mozzerrella sticks you get at the pizza take outs. nah that wouldn't do it for me at all. In fact I think I would cry if I saw a deep fat frier out on Christmas day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

are ye talking about things like the mozzerrella sticks you get at the pizza take outs. nah that wouldn't do it for me at all. In fact I think I would cry if I saw a deep fat frier out on Christmas day.

never had those from takeout. ours are deep fried brie/boursin/anything really in breadcrumbs with a sweet and sour sauce!
    I use it outside or in utility as the smell of the deep fat fryer drives me mad. Saying that it is only used max 2 times a year for cheese!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

gotta agree that I would NOT want to see or smell a deep fat fryer on chritmas day:o

I love the "traditional" grub

I'd much prefer a cold starter although I'm very curious about the black pudding dishes!
    I've had clonakilty black pud as a starter in restaurants but was very plain, just served on a bit of lettuce!
    mmm...hungry:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

A tin of biscuits :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭homersimpson

Prawn Cocktail

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Melon wedges, then soup, then dinner, then dessert, then Christmas cake.

That's what we used to have. In the last couple of years we've done away with the soup. And I don't eat Christmas cake so it's just a three course dinner for me now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

If we stay at our own house, we don't usually have a starter, but if we go to my auntie's, I think she does a Prawn Cocktail, but as I don't like Prawn Cocktail I tend not to have a starter lol.

I don't eat Christmas cake either, but I do like Christmas Pudding in Custard, mmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Selection box ! mmmmmmmm :D

No seriously my Mam usually makes some delicious homemade sausage rolls. Nothing fancy, but a tasty little snack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Never bother with a starter tbh. Between leaving room for the dinner and picking at the ham and sausage meat stuffing all morning it's not really needed.

Advertisement