Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplier Problem

Options
  • 14-10-2010 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭

Folks
    Hope you can give me some advice.

A few months back I ordered doors/skirting/architrave (and paid 50% deposit) from a local company, a father & son business. I know the son to talk to from around town.

I wasn't ready for the doors until a few weeks ago so got onto them and they said they'd have them by the end of the week. That didn't happen.

That same scenario has happened every week since, with them saying 'oh definitely this week'.

I am slowly losing it at this stage and I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to resolve the situation (mods at this point I'll say I'm not looking for legal advice). There doesn't seem to be any intention of supplying me with the doors.

As I said, I know the son to talk to but he has been ignoring my calls for the past few weeks. Only contact has been made with the father and I can't help but feel he is fobbing me off.

I don't know what else to do. Asking for money back would fall on deaf ears no doubt.

Can anyone offer some advice.
    Thanks
    Bull

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

It's time for you to write to this outfit, detailing how many times they have fobbed you off and giving them 14 days for delivery of the materials paid for or demand refund of payment in full by that date.

Give your solicitor a copy of the letter and leave it to them after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 reefray

I hope you still have a receipt for the payment?

If so and you paid by Visa card, contact the customer services dept and let them know the situation. They should be able to get you a refund.

If so and you paid by cheque or cash, visit your local Citizens Advice with the receipt and they will advise you (for free) on your options.

Ray

• Registered Users Posts: 46,124 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Moved from Construction & Planning to Consumer Issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

+1 Poor Uncle Tom, great starting point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

The otehr side of it is that probably their business is in trouble and they cant get supply from the company that supplies the specific doors you want.

So many builders merchants and the like have found it difficult as they havn't been paid by their customers and thus it feeds down the chain.

So maybe drop into them initially with a soft heart just in case things are bad and see if there are other options. If they start haviong an attitude, then go heavier with letter & demanding refund of deposit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If the value of the goods in question is under €2000, then you don't need to involve a solicitor. You can lodge a claim in the Small Claims Court yourself for a €15 fee.

Write a registered letter to the business. Outline the difficulties you've faced and offer them 10 working days to resolve the issue. Let them know that it matters have not been resolved by that date, that you will be proceeding to lodge a claim in the SCC (or if >€2k involve your solicitor).

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭BullBauld

Just to update the thread after weeks and weeks of ringing with promises of delivery I finally received my doors. I held off on any legal route so glad it worked out before I decided to go that direction.

I didn't make any further issue when they arrived as I was just happy to get them in the end...looked like I wasn't going to for a while.

Thanks for all the suggestions here.

Stress over.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Thanks for coming back with the update.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Did you ask for a discount on the balance, seeing as how they messed you around for so long? Worth a shot if you haven't paid yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭BullBauld

No I paid what was agreed. And in fairness it was a good price compared to the others I was quoted.

As I said I was just happy to get the goods so didn't make any further issue about it.

All forgotton about now :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement