Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new lens.

• 14-10-2010 12:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭

i'm thinking of getting a new lens for my d3000. i'v just got the one that came with it. what would be a good one too get. only what one as i'm going new york next month.

would the one that came with camera would goon enough too take photos while there

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yep, it should be fine.

what sort of shots do you want to take? that's the first thing you need to decide before getting a new lens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

its mainly friends of the family kids. but i'v taken photos of other stuff. anything really. is there one thats suited for all things.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the 35mm f1.8 is a great general purpose lens. do you want zoom capability though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

The kit lens is pretty decent, it's a great little all rounder. You've got the wide angle for landscape and building shots, you'll fit pretty much what you like in frame at the 18mm end. And you've got the little bit of zoom to 55mm for your family shots. Enough to play with for that purpose.

Maybe look for a light, cheap 70-300 zoom for distance shots? [for example, you take a boat trip and want to get shots of the buildings on land, your 55mm reach won't do] For general use any of the lenses in that range will be fine, of course, one with vibration reduction would be super, but they're bloody expensive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

the 35mm f1.8 is a great general purpose lens. do you want zoom capability though?

would be nice too be able too zoom onto some thing from the distances.
    really looking forward too taking photos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I had 2 cheap zooms over the past 6 months or so. The sigma 70-300 w/macro and a Tamrom 75-300 macro. Ignore the 'macro' on these zooms, you can get nice close ups but nothing amazing. It's just a little bonus added on, usually only kicks in between 200-300 so you have to be a distance from your subject to use it to any great effect. I found with both that I got awful fringing at the 300mm end, so if you opt for any of those models, try limiting the zoom to around 250mm. You can find either of these lenses for about €120 used.

Advertisement