Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freezing winter again?? Is there enough salt to keep roads open?

Options
  • 14-10-2010 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭

After last year fiasco with not enough salt for the harsh winter, what did the government and local councils learnt from it?
    Are predications from weather long term forecasters like Positive Weather Solutions been taken seriously. I look up their website and I do not see a history to comapre it to previous weather to determine their accuracy.
    http://www.independent.ie/weather/cold-snap-to-herald-another-icy-winter-2378595.html
    In any case no matter who is right in predication long term weather forecasters are, there is one thing for sure with global warming, there will be more extreme weather events.

Is there an improve plan to have salt properly delivered in another long term Freezing event like last winter?
    Can our economy recover while our roads are unusable if the Government and Local Councils are napping?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

A lot of councils around the country at building salt barns at the minute in order to store grit of the winter. I check the etenders website every day for work and have seen invitations to tender for salt barns in Cavan, Monaghan, Longford, Lucan, Wexford, Offlay, two in Kilkenny. Thats just off the top of my head, could be more which I cant remember seeing. They left it very late in the year to look for tenderers as a lot of these only appeared in the last month or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭recyclebin

I work in the gritter manufacturing area and there has been a big increase in the number of snow ploughs and gritters ordered this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

I can just see the politicians after a few mild winters giving out about the money spent on stockpiling grit. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Jayuu

I can just see the politicians after a few mild winters giving out about the money spent on stockpiling grit. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

I can also see a lot of ordinary people complaining as well in these circumstances. Its a very particular Irish thing to do. As a nation we have very short memories about things like this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

The Council left a road down here untreated for 4 weeks in which it was impossible to travel. Solution by locals - Tractor and Dump trailer & JCB to the beach and filled up a load of seasand and small gravel and added the mix into fertilizer spreaders. Best stuff of all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

Stinicker wrote: »
    The Council left a road down here untreated for 4 weeks in which it was impossible to travel. Solution by locals - Tractor and Dump trailer & JCB to the beach and filled up a load of seasand and small gravel and added the mix into fertilizer spreaders. Best stuff of all!
    Where is "down here"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Stonewolf

I'd prefer if the councils employed snowploughs and normal grit in preference to salt. My exhaust was completely ruined by all the salting from last winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,535 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Stonewolf wrote: »
    I'd prefer if the councils employed snowploughs and normal grit in preference to salt. My exhaust was completely ruined by all the salting from last winter.

Snow ploughing and our old grit/molasses mix does bog all when its -12c. Nice, snow-free icerinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Snow ploughing and our old grit/molasses mix does bog all when its -12c. Nice, snow-free icerinks.

If it stayed -12C the snow could be ploughed and wouldn't melt. It is temperatures getting aroound zero and then falling back that causes the problem. If there is a snow of any depth then it should be ploughed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Snow Chains.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Awh well I'd prefer them stockpiling grit then stockpiling voting machines that can never be used. TBH the councils should own enough land that they could build their own "grit granaries" and not have to pay for storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

cnocbui wrote: »
    Snow Chains.

Don't be ridiculous - chains are useful for deep snow, maybe somewhere in the mountains.

Just get yourself a set of winter tires, they really make the difference.

Advertisement