Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Turbo trainers in apartments (With wooden floors)?

• 14-10-2010 1:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭

Hi, is anyone using or has used a turbo trainer in an apartment, specifically with wooden floors, i'd like to get one but i'm thinking there would be a racket from the tt itself and the wooden floors.
    Any experiences out there?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

there will be a racket but you wont need to worry about that, not anymore than the people downstairs hoovering worry about you ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

You can get a turbo specific mat (expensive) or even try something like a yoga mat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,112 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Im gona be setting myself up for the winter in a 1.5x4m shed for this very reason! It really kicks up on the wooden floors. Maybe some mats might help?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭shg101

Hi, is anyone using or has used a turbo trainer in an apartment, specifically with wooden floors, i'd like to get one but i'm thinking there would be a racket from the tt itself and the wooden floors.
    Any experiences out there?

Get an end roll of carpet for a few quid, cut it into several rectangles, put the trainer on top of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭markcroninbsc

i use a yoga mat from tescos around 3 euro i think, i dont think it would be too much of a problem in an appartment. i used to do the rollers out on the balcony but we had a fairly private balcony dont think id do it if anyone could see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

I wouldnt use my trainer indoors due to the racket. Its only for shed use. Maybe rollers are a better idea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Closed cell foam mat + decent turbo with high resistance.

You need to keep the wheel speed down. This requires high resistance.

I'm sure a disc wheel would help too (and be safer if you have young kids around), but that's a bit excessive. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

FWIW I have a Reebok exercise bike that is so quiet I don't have to increase the volume on the tv when I use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Rollers ain't exactly quiet either. At least my ones aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Are we nearly there yet....

Use a soft yoga mat. I got one in Lidl before and its perfect. Needs to be something wipeable as you will sweat a lot indoors on the turbo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

The turbo traveling across the floor might be a bit of a problem too when your going very hard on it.

I've mine set up in the shed and i had to put 2 brackets on the floor to keep it from moving forward while i was on it, having said that i use a mountain bike on it dunno if it's still a problem using a racer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Lumen wrote: »
    You need to keep the wheel speed down

yeah thants the key, get one with adjustable resistence, the one I have a Tacx cycleforce swing has this.

Advertisement