Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What cars do you have an irrational hatred for?

• 14-10-2010 1:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭

If we are honest there are some cars that provoke unhealthy reactions, somewhat undeservedly. This one is mine -

Chrysler 300C (especially with the ‘Bentley’ grill) - No car typifies the brashness, one-upmanship and the stink of the Celtic Tiger more so than this yoke. It was never bought for it’s abilities, just for what it said about the owner. It’s blingness looks woefully out of place now, especially when parked outside a semi D in Dublin west. I cringe for the owners who probably are stuck with it forever, and will never, ever let one out of a junction.

Me bad.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Nissan Micra.

Toyota Starlet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Opel.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭RICARDO1982

Anything french bar the 205 gti

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

All Rovers except the 75 turbo diesel as that has a decent engine and box in it..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭pajo1981

prius?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I have a real hatrid for the Ka and the Yaris but I wouldnt call it irrational; I have driven both and how Ford and Toyota can actually get away with calling them cars is beyond me.

Im not sure I have an irrational hatred of any cars tbh. Any other cars I cant stand (Rover for example) is usually based on something (in the case of Rover its they are the worst heaps of **** ever constructed).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Audi Q7

To me it signifies obnoxiousness (the fcekin size of it), brashness or wannabe quite like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭GarH

Fiat Puntos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

4 wheel drive Jeeps which are driven by yummy mummies to drop their children to school. I live in close proximity to a school and the majority of these so called responsible adults, double park, speed, stop dead in the middle of the road without any indication or notice about what their intention.

I have no problem with 4 wheel drive vehicles being used for a purpose (i.e. those that have a decent towbar fitted) as this is what 4 wheel Jeeps were designed for.

Sang Yong the whole model range the designers of that make should be shot

Small cars which have very weak engineering behind them, entry level kia and hyundais and the likes.

Kudos to Suzuki for the new swift isnt a half bad city car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Honda Civics

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Sang Yong the whole model range the designers of that make should be shot

Agreed, anything by Ssanyong. I have fantasies about a Rodius and a sledge hammer. And don't get me started on the Dodge Nitro.

Skoda Octavia.

There, I said it:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I hate SUVs, but that's not irrational, all sensible people hate SUVs.

I don't hate saloons, but I don't see the point of them. Hatches, estates MPVs, coupés, two seater sports cars, I can see what they are about, but the 4-door, 4-bum, 4-sets-of-clubs-in-the-boot Merc or BMW saloon just seems pointless to me.

Vectras, but that's not an irrational hatred, since 95 they have been complete and utter dirt. I'd drive most things but a post 1995 Vectra I wouldn't look at, they are a f***tard mobile.

I'd take a pre 95 2.0 one no bother though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

All BMWs, but especially absolutely frickin' hate the X5, but even more so the X6. It looks like an X5 on steroids that's then been melted in the sun.

For similar reasons, the Porsche Cayenne, one of the fugliest cars ever.

Most Fords, especially the Mondeo. I think of Alan Partridge whenever I see one.

RoverJames wrote: »
    Vectras, but that's not an irrational hatred, since 95 they have been complete and utter dirt. I'd drive most things but a post 1995 Vectra I wouldn't look at, they are a f***tard mobile.

I'd take a pre 95 2.0 one no bother though.

probably coz that is all you could afford James, Rovers and 95 Vectras...poor mans cars..:pac:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

Glanzas and Twin cams and Peugeots....****e boxes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭yupyup7up

ALL VOLVOS!!!! they are too big and their drivers cant drive properly!!!! this hatred has made me hate their smaller cars too

pajero12 wrote: »
    Glanzas and Twin cams and Peugeots....****e boxes

A lot of people hate these and i see where you are coming from...im past that stage of my life now :pac: but the old jap engines are built proof, I had a stock 4efte holding 215bhp all day long, amazed me how strong it was, even when pulled apart big ends and pistons and rods were fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Prius.. just horrible..

micras.. Always a granny in the middle lane in one..

Bmw X series.. terrible looking things

All skoda's... all of them? Ehh yeah all of them!!! Especially the Octavia..

Where to stop?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

Polo's - they just always seem to be driven by people who can't make progress.
    (I know it's irrational!)

Paddy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Pre 2000 Micras and their drivers.

Rexton Jeeps.

Rextons in General

Pre 1998 Astras and their drivers.

BMW X3(not a realy BMW, French made)

BMW 1 Series Hatch when driven by men.

Nissan Primera 2004+ What a horrible shape. If you dent the bonnet ridge your fvcked!!

Anything which is Paddy Spec

Protons? Why the hell did you buy it?

Fairly rational choice: Renault. Not a bad car but nobody will buy it back off of you making it an irrational choice of purchase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

I fuppin' hate Micras

This used to be irrational until I unfortunately ended up with one while my car was being repaired, horribly slow and hateful it was

I generally hate most Korean cars for being sh!te but they are improving and I dislike a lot of main stream cars for being bland and boring

Range Rover is another one for me, when you hear one accelerating away from the lights you can hear the engine working so hard to shift that bulk, and there is always only ever one person in it. If it has low profile tyres on it then it really should be blown up.

I feel better already, this is really helping my rage issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Merc b and a range

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Beat up People carries- the mid-90's things.

Often driven recklessly. Hate seeing them coming

towards me. If your going to bus or carry your nearest

and dearset around, learn to drive properly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

All Volkswagen TDIs.

Especially the golfs.The air of smugness about their drivers is something quite annoying!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Just people carriers and vans and to a slightly lesser extent 4x4s and such that block my line of sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 strange john

Toyota Avensis. Horrible to drive and not as reliable as most Toyota's. Also, BMW's with non-factory fitted body kits. Not because of the car, but because of the typical owner. Ohhhhhh...Contraversial!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭seriouslywhat

If we are honest there are some cars that provoke unhealthy reactions, somewhat undeservedly. This one is mine -

Chrysler 300C (especially with the ‘Bentley’ grill) - No car typifies the brashness, one-upmanship and the stink of the Celtic Tiger more so than this yoke. It was never bought for it’s abilities, just for what it said about the owner. It’s blingness looks woefully out of place now, especially when parked outside a semi D in Dublin west. I cringe for the owners who probably are stuck with it forever, and will never, ever let one out of a junction.

Me bad.

Is this just because you could never afford one? Maybe your mad at not getting ahead during the Celtic Tiger?

I think they're totally AWESOME cars man. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

Cars which are stupid colours. Especially brown ones.

I think they're totally AWESOME cars man. :D

If your definition of awesome is a blinged up old tech E-Class with an interior reminiscent of a travel lodge then bully for you:pac:

probably coz that is all you could afford James, Rovers and 95 Vectras...poor mans cars..:pac:

:confused: don't see how my financial well being or otherwise is remotely relevent to this thread to he honest. If I wanted to be a cnut I could ask what you do for a living ;)

EPM wrote: »
    If your definition of awesome is a blinged up old tech E-Class with an interior reminiscent of a travel lodge then bully for you:pac:

The fact that I put AWESOME in caps and a big grin at the end was meant to be a piss take of Americans. Every time I see that car I think there should be an oil barron from Texas driving shooting his guns in the air like your man in the Simpsons.

That said I dont begrudge anyone for buyin the car. I think the OP seems to have that problem.

I say if someone wants to buy a big flashy car let them at it. They obviosuly either earned it or are not in big trouble with the finance company.

I did a quick search on Carzone there are 4 private sales up and 13 in total.

Donedeal also has a few.

I would suggest the private sales are lads who bought out of their depth. The others you see about the place are people just wanting to show off.
    Fair dues to them I say.:)

That said I dont begrudge anyone for buyin the car. I think the OP seems to have that problem.

Yawn, there's always one.

• Advertisement

Yawn, there's always one.

I'm not the one with a problem with a car for supposedly no reason here Stevie.

So yawn right back at ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 bigSuzi12

SV wrote: »
    All Volkswagen TDIs.

Especially the golfs.The air of smugness about their drivers is something quite annoying!

Absolutely, Golf drivers wreck my head.

bigSuzi12 wrote: »

What is it about Golf drivers that make them think that they have just bought the best car in the world and they're delighted about it.

They are one of the most bland, average, boring cars on the planet!

But for some reason in Ireland its seen by some as an "I've made it" statement. Ya have to laugh really. Bless. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Saxos.

Everything by Toyota, Nissan and Kia. In fact most modern cars- why do people have to buy such boring shíte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

Me bad.

Any BMW
    Although it's more the drivers than the car. I call the overtaking lane the German car lane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Most Suv's and jeeps. I'm sorry but its one in 200 that I see that actually need the ride height and four wheel drive. An estate would be better for you and better for me so every third car isn't blocking my forward observation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

bigSuzi12 wrote: »

A decade ago when I lived in Galway, CP's was the top night clup in the city. I never understood why, I thought it was the biggest kip going. The best way it was ever explained to me was that it was the place that people thought they were supposed to go. The Golf is a little bit similar, it's the car that these people think they're supposed to buy. Personally I think it demonstrates a complete lack of any kind of imagination.
    VW Golf: over priced, over rated, under powered and under spec'd, certainly 99% of the Golf's sold new in this country fit this description.

I always think the best measure of a car is what else you could buy for the same money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

SV wrote: »
    All Volkswagen TDIs.

Ah Jesus will you ever show a bit of respect for the most powerful engine in existence. Those plumes of black smoke are for our safety to remind us mere mortals to stay back to minimise the effects of the sonic boom.:D

I agree fully, the TDI's particularly in golf form are always driven at full power, especially the GT TDI, and if it's been remapped, forget about it, it will burn anything this side of an F1 car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭bladespin

All VWs, make an average car (by any standards), put absolutely nothing bar the bare minimum in it, dress the inside to look something like you would have seen in a concentration camp, stick a shiny VW badge on it and watch the eegits queue up to give you their money.

I wish I owned the company not the car.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

All skoda's... all of them? Ehh yeah all of them!!! Especially the Octavia..

Careful now! People have been banned from here for less offences than insulting the Skoda Octavia:p

MajorMax wrote: »
    . I call the overtaking lane the German car lane

:D Brilliant.

Not a huge fan of BMWs either, for some reason people seem to think they are still "posh" or "exclusive" when they are in fact as common as muck. There's now several times more BMW 3 series in the country than there are foed mondeos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet: T I I I I I I I I D A

I also can't stand cheap jeeps, like the Hyundai Santa Fe or the Kia Sorento (with one "r" :confused:). Purely for people who think an SUV is safe, practical (kids being the excuse) and presteeeegious, when an estate would do just fine.

When I see the mid '00s Hyundai Accent, I just want to vomit. It's just such a sad, dated, crappy little design, just like the Corolla saloon from the end of the '90s.

Not attacking frugality and the search for value-for-money by the way. It's a perfectly valid aim in motoring. That's why I admire Skoda drivers - yes, even if they're driving an Octavia with a tow-hitch and mud all over the underside! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

bladespin wrote: »
    All VWs
    lukester wrote: »
    All BMWs
    MajorMax wrote: »
    Any BMW
    Not a huge fan of BMWs either, for some reason people seem to think they are still "posh" or "exclusive" when they are in fact as common as muck. There's now several times more BMW 3 series in the country than there are foed mondeos.

Much like the invented assertion that VW drivers must think they have "made it", this is something people that dont drive VWs or BMWs spend a lot of time thinking about, not the actual drivers.

The "problem" with VW and BMW is they are popular, nothing more nothing less. This may shock you, but most of the people on the road consider the car a bus they drive themselves, its a tool to get home from the office in, not a lifestyle, something car fans are far more guilty of. A true car fan would not single out a performance car brand as something they hate, you are only hurting yourselves.

Stop adlib'ing amateur hour psych analysis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭jock101

HSE Range Rovers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Porsche Cayman

Yes its good but thats the problem.

It could be great but they didn't want to upset 911 drives and so they created a good car which could of been great

A disappointment.

I'll not get into the look of the car which is subjective

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement