Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What cars do you have an irrational hatred for?

Comments

Matt Simis wrote: »
    A true car fan would not single out a performance car brand as something they hate, you are only hurting yourselves.

BMW are a performance car brand ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

RoverJames wrote: »

YES

A Performance car.............only if you have deep pockets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

alias no.9 wrote: »
    VW Golf: over priced, over rated, under powered and under spec'd, certainly 99% of the Golf's sold new in this country fit this description.

I always think the best measure of a car is what else you could buy for the same money.

LOL, I drive, and am selling, a Golf, the only one I've ever owned. I bought into the whole solid build and quasi-premium image. Now I find myself sickened by VAG cars in general, except the very top-end Audis. I'd almost like Skoda for their lack of pretension, but the level of blind devotion to them has put me off them too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

BMW are a performance car brand?

Yep, that 116 is a weapon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I'm not the one with a problem with a car for supposedly no reason here Stevie.

It's a thread about irrational hatred, it's supposed to be about hating a car for no reason... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Yep, that 116 is a weapon!

Yes pick the most basic model as an example, well done that man!
    Aston Martin is a performance brand yet they are set to release the Cygnet next year...are you going to say Aston aren't a performance and prestige brand based on this?

20091228_aston-martin-cygnet_614mz

For the record I don't own a BMW.

On topic.

The Ford Mondeo and Ford Focus.
    For some reason a huge amount of Ford drivers always seem to think that they have to prove themselves or their cars when a German make (BMW, Audi or Merc) overtakes them.

Cars I hate for no particular reason at all:
    Citreon
    Peugeot
    Daewoo (Chevrolet) <-- actually I know why I hate them, they're crap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭mailforkev

The Lexus brand in its entirety.

Having a new Lexus tells the world that you have done well enough in life to have the money to buy a nice premium car but you don't actually like cars.

If you have an IS then you have actually aspired to own a Lexus but could only afford the entry level one, more shame.

Having a GS says that for some reason anything German or a Jag somehow was too interesting for you.

An LS tells me that your Saturday consists of a round of golf, dinner in the golf club followed by a spot of drink-driving to get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

Toyota Prius.
    All Skoda's
    All Ssangyongs.
    The interior quality of all American cars.

That Chrysler 300 does my head in too.
    Not a fan of Rovers either.
    Agreed on another poster's Paddy Spec hatred. - I'd far prefer a well-specced BMW 3 series than a poverty spec 5 series as an example.

Considering there is a whole world of cars out there that isnt too bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Aston Martin is a performance brand yet they are set to release the Cygnet next year

I thought the plan was just to give a Cygnet to valued customers for the wife to park outside the gym?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

I thought the plan was just to give a Cygnet to valued customers for the wife to park outside the gym?

Nope it's confirmed. They will sell it to anyone, but price it away from the masses.

http://uk.autoblog.com/2010/10/11/aston-martin-confirms-the-cygnet-and-plans-to-sell-it-to-anyone/
    I cant say I'm too happy about this.

I've some emails from AM on this and they harp on about luxury and attention to detail, but not once mention performance. Not the point I guess. But from the coolest brand in the UK it's a big risk if they try to commoditise that reputation.

http://www.techwatch.co.uk/2010/09/28/aston-martin-overtakes-iphone-as-coolest-uk-brand/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I despise many cars, but that's cause they're shoite. Nothing irrational there I suppose? Can't think of a modern car I have a hatred for, but I always hated the Renault R12 with a vengeance. And when, to my great relief, they just seemed to be disappearing, some eastern european country started making clones of them. Noooooooohhhhh :mad:
    EPM wrote: »
    Audi Q7

To me it signifies obnoxiousness (the fcekin size of it), brashness or wannabe quite like it.

Ah yeah. I'm no fan of any SUV / MPV / Van etc. but I acknowledge some of them (just about) serve (a tiny) practical purpose. Not that enormous silver metallic lump of iron though :rolleyes:

Here are all the cars that I wince when I see on the road and that I'll never, ever own (in alphabetical order):

Audi Q5
    BMW 1 Series, 6 Series and all the Xs
    All ROI Chevrolets
    All Chryslers
    Citroen Berlingo
    All Daewoos
    All Diahatsus
    All Dodges
    Fiat Multipla
    All Hummers
    All Hyundais except the Coupe, Santa Fe & i's
    Isuzu D Max
    Jaguar X-Type
    All Jeeps except the Wrangler
    All Kias except the C'eed/ProCee'd and new Sorento
    Landrover Freelanders & Range Rover Sports
    Lexus RXs
    Virtually every Mazda pre-Mazda6 except the MX5, RX7 & Xedos 9
    Merc A-Class & GL
    All recent MGs
    New MINI Clubman
    Mitsubishi Carisma
    Nissan Tiida, most Nissans in fact (except for Pathfinder, Patrol, Qashqai & Skyline)
    Opel Frontera & Vectra
    Porsche Cayenne
    Every modern Rover
    Outdated Saabs
    Skoda Roomster & Yeti
    All Ssangyongs
    Subaru Justy
    Virtually all Suzukis
    Toyota Altezza, Rav 4, Urban Cruiser
    VW Eos
    Volvo C30

And just to make sure I haven't forgotten anything:

All small pretend sports cars (Puma, Tigra etc.)
    All convertible small cars (Micras etc.)
    Virtually all pickups, the bigger they are the more I hate them

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

How many Volumes of LITTLE BLACK BOOKS OF HATRED do you have now Chris :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

Morris Marina

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Thats pretty much the cornerstone of their USPs.
    As noted, if you want performance on a near global, any tier level, they can deliver it. If you cannot afford that, they will sell you a hint of it (not that I would advocate the low end).

Ive spoken to car fans that said they wouldnt drive a BMW cos of "insert stereotype of BMW owners". [Referring to them, not you] Thats sad and shallow, nothing to be proud of.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Any car worth over 40k new that has the most basic engine, buy a proper engine you scabby poser. A5 1.8T, 316i, oh and the 5 grand msport kit on the 520d,320d.....get a better engine for god sake and forget the shiny bits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Ive spoken to car fans that said they wouldnt drive a BMW cos of "insert stereotype of BMW owners". [Referring to them, not you] Thats sad and shallow, nothing to be proud of.
    It's exactly the same 'reasoning' that leads others to buy BMWs; few enough people are genuinely unmoved by marketing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

Any car worth over 40k new that has the most basic engine, buy a proper engine you scabby poser. A5 1.8T, 316i, oh and the 5 grand msport kit on the 520d,320d.....get a better engine for god sake and forget the shiny bits.

While i agree with your point in general, it unravels when you class good engines as 'basic' just because there are more powerful models available though.

By your logic, put the 1.8T in a 1400kg Audi A3 and it's brilliant, not basic, but put it in a 1500kg A5 and it becomes basic? I don't really follow that. It's 180bhp, plenty capable of delivering a good drive in that car.

Msport 320d is an unbelievable car if you ask me. Very cheap road tax, decent looking car, 170bhp and good fuel economy. There's not much wrong with that. Yes, you can get a 3 litre twin turbo petrol engine, but that's not practical for most people out there.

A 1.6 engine in the likes of a 3 series or Avensis is, however, ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I'd say a business. And they do what they do very, very well imo

No, if you spend so much money on wings and fins and alloys instead of getting a better engine and convince yourself its to save money on a 60 grand car FFS its ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Bodhan

I hate most of whats on the list that Chris made there (he's a man for lists) but I REALLY hate all Daewoo's but most espically the one in the picture and it's hatchback brother, hatefull cars

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/17/Daewoo_Leganza_Sedan.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Seperate wrote: »
    Msport 320d is an unbelievable car if you ask me. Very cheap road tax, decent looking car, 170bhp and good fuel economy. There's not much wrong with that.
    On a purely irrational (as per the thread) level, the 320d MSport is a puke-inducing choice of the generically mean, insecure, and showy.
    Seperate wrote: »
    Yes, you can get a 3 litre twin turbo petrol engine, but that's not practical for most people out there.
    Yes, and you can debadge it too. You'll get quite a bit a bit of petrol for the money saved by not specifying the plastic tat appendages too.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Small, hatchback derived saloon cars ...detest them

the likes of these ...yeugh

2009_VW-Polo-Saloon-1996-R.jpg
    05.chevrolet.aveo.500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

Any Renault, why people buy em beats me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Any Renault, why people buy em beats me...

Ya and peugeots piles of junk and Nissans except the gtr of course..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

white 1.4 honda civics, most bmws usually because of the drivers.. renault except for the williams clio. all fiats and rovers, tarmac only 4x4 suvs. not a fan of the golf even do i'm on my third golf based car!!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭coloneldecker

Ford Ka, stupid stupid car.

johnos1984 wrote: »
    How many Volumes of LITTLE BLACK BOOKS OF HATRED do you have now Chris :D

I don't ban people any more, I just put their name in "the Book" and sleep soundly safe in the knowledge that one day they'll get their comeuppance... :P:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Any Ssangyong
    BMW Mini
    Nissan Tiida
    Audi A3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Transits vans with speed camera's in the back!

• Advertisement

Plug wrote: »
    Transits vans with speed camera's in the back!

And Plug wins the thread... :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭kazul

Saabs, I hate the interiors with their
    upright dashboards, fighter jet me bollix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

Irrationally slow ones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭bladespin

Much like the invented assertion that VW drivers must think they have "made it", this is something people that dont drive VWs or BMWs spend a lot of time thinking about, not the actual drivers.

The "problem" with VW and BMW is they are popular, nothing more nothing less. This may shock you, but most of the people on the road consider the car a bus they drive themselves, its a tool to get home from the office in, not a lifestyle, something car fans are far more guilty of. A true car fan would not single out a performance car brand as something they hate, you are only hurting yourselves.

Stop adlib'ing amateur hour psych analysis.

Nope, it's just because I think they're awful, a car should be a nice place to be, especially if you're going to spend a considerable amount of time in it, VW are very well built cars but you could never accuse one of inspiring you to drive. Spent long enough stuck in a polo, golf and passat to know this.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

Ford Ka, stupid stupid car.

Drove one for a week on an 80 mile commute...suprisinglly capable and fun...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

I have to say the street Ka is lovely, it has unisex appeal I think. Hey boys!

GG66 wrote: »
    Irrationally slow ones

1.4 Focus
    1 litre Atozzzzzz...
    1.2 Ibiza
    1.0 corsa...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭kazul

Much like the invented assertion that VW drivers must think they have "made it", this is something people that dont drive VWs or BMWs spend a lot of time thinking about, not the actual drivers.

VW and BMW have very little in common, apart from the fact that they're both German and both over-rated, a perfect example of people buying badges instead of cars. Driver position in modern 3-series is horrible, IMO you'd need a left leg about 3 inches longer than the right and arms like an orang-utan to sit comfortably in one.
    All modern VWs, apart from hot Golfs with DSG, make me yawn.
    Nobody looks like they've "made it" in a VW unless "made it" is 2.4 kids, a mortgage and a middle-management career.
    A32 Maxima/Cefiro FTW :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Skoda's especially Octavia's
    Micra's
    Tiida's
    Hyundai Accent's
    Qashqai's!

The worst of all and I havent seen one yet - The Joke...i mean Juke

• Advertisement

Saw a Juke the other day, a totally hideous thing.....

Plug wrote: »
    I have to say the street Ka is lovely, it has unisex appeal I think.

Does it f***, no doubt "chaps" who have man bags and pluck their eyebrows etc may like them but the sort of guy who isn't an easy target for a scobe attack wouldn't be buying one. Fair enough if the other half has one though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭dumb_parade

Toyota Yaris, get stuck behind one on the road and its all over.

Toyota Yaris, get stuck behind one on the road and its all over.

I was in an automatic one one day struggling to get up a hill and a guy on a bike passed us on the hill, i'm not joking!!:eek:

Taxi's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

lukester wrote: »
    Most Fords, especially the Mondeo. I think of Alan Partridge whenever I see one.

Rovers, Lexii (the Japanese Mercedes) and Renault Meganes were the only cars he mentioned in the programme iirc, I don't think he ever made reference to a Mondeo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭jupiter00

All SKODAS! especially the Roomster and Yeti, even the names are stuuuuupid!

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭snickers

Hyundai coupes, new minis, tigras, pumas, toyota cynos, nissan figaros ,range rovers especially overfinch ones all the above suck imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

jock101 wrote: »
    HSE Range Rovers!

at least they're more efficient than their hospitals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

Absurdum wrote: »
    Rovers, Lexii (the Japanese Mercedes) and Renault Meganes were the only cars he mentioned in the programme iirc, I don't think he ever made reference to a Mondeo!
    :D
    Knowing me, knowing you:
    Nina : Yvonne, can you talk us through the
    thinking behind this magnificent outfit you ' re
    wearing ?
    Yvonne : It' s a sort of a fin de siecle ghost in
    the machine
    Alan Partridge : Is that the distributor cap off a
    Ford Mondeo ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭gleep

Porche Boxster ("I'd like a 911 but aint quite there yet")
    Mini Clubman ("I am hetrosexual, I swear, I am I am I am")
    French Cars ("I went to the showroom with no idea what I was doing")

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement