Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What cars do you have an irrational hatred for?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

tuned/modified/done up cars.

they come in all walks forms and shapes but i hate them all equally...

Just because you can doesn't mean you should... If ive just ate my dinner i intend on keeping it in my stomach ! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Pdfile wrote: »
    If ive just ate my dinner i intend on keeping it in my stomach ! :mad:

What?:confused:

julyjane wrote: »
    Nissan Sunnys - if I see one 100m ahead of me I know that's it, 20mph until whenever/if ever this thing turns off :eek:
    stopped making them in 95, can't remember the last time I saw one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Says more about him than them to be honest.

That your car in your sig by any chance?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

all MPV's - just buy a 7 seat 4x4 and stop looking like a tool

I'm the exact opposite, I believe in the right tool for the job - if you don't need 4x4 capabilities and lots of ground clearance, don't buy a bleedin' jeep!
    If you need 7 seats for your massive brood, then an MPV is the correct choice rather than some behemoth soft roader.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

-Chris- wrote: »
    I'm the exact opposite, I believe in the right tool for the job - if you don't need 4x4 capabilities and lots of ground clearance, don't buy a bleedin' jeep!
    If you need 7 seats for your massive brood, then an MPV is the correct choice rather than some behemoth soft roader.

I only ever see MPVs been driven by middle aged guys with glasses and just 2 kids. They appear to resent everything that moves faster than them, except in the rare occasion when they have no kids in the back and their MPV magically gains Scooby bumper hugging performance.
    So what exactly is a tuned up/modified car? I replaced my rusted to bits OEM back boxes with Magnaflows and my too small for the job OEM wheels for alternative BMW wheels. Not to mention the gear nob. Is that modified?
    Sounds like you dont like to see anyone express any individuality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭reverenddave

anything made in france
    renault peugeot (per joe) cirtoen

cheaply made cars and just plain simple shíte aesthetics and simply crap

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

I hate SUVs, but that's not irrational, all sensible people hate SUVs.

I'll tell yiz what I hate, people who call jeeps SUV's. ITS A FCUKING JEEP:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

lukester wrote: »
    LOL, I drive, and am selling, a Golf, the only one I've ever owned. I bought into the whole solid build and quasi-premium image.

Maybe you're not old enough to remember, but back in the days when you started a car by getting your missus and kids to give you a push, the golf was the one, and only one, reliable car out there. (The aul MK2 will go down in history, absolute legend of a car). Thats how their popularity and reputation became what it is today. It was all to do with being "solid build and quasi-premium", and nothing to do with image. Easy to work on, no rust (yes, rust used to be a real life problem!!!), they even had an ammeter to show you how the battery was doing! GPS me arse!

djimi wrote: »
    I have a real hatrid for the Ka and the Yaris but I wouldnt call it irrational; I have driven both and how Ford and Toyota can actually get away with calling them cars is beyond me.
    Plug wrote: »
    I have to say the street Ka is lovely, it has unisex appeal I think. Hey boys!

This. Ka's and yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarissis are go-karts, not cars. And Plug, you male or female? Ka's are gay.

@everyone - let's discuss the cars and not the posters (and possibly the owners) if possible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

Starlets, glanzas because of the majority of scruffy looking w@nkers that appear to drive them with a goofy grin on their face..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

newmug wrote: »
    I'll tell yiz what I hate, people who call jeeps SUV's. ITS A FCUKING JEEP:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

If I wanted to be pedantic I'd point out that JEEP is a brand name and that calling a Trooper, X5 or whatever a 'JEEP' is similar calling a Pepsi a 'Coke' or a Dyson a 'Hoover'...
    This. Ka's and yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarissis are go-karts, not cars. And Plug, you male or female? Ka's are gay.

:rolleyes:

Car I hate most is the Audi Q7 blingmobile. No car says 'noveau riche and in NAMA' quite like a Q7...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Im a non gay male. OK maybe they are not a lovely car but they are not nearly as bad as the normal Ka, I was on about the street Ka.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

pburns wrote: »
    If I wanted to be pedantic I'd point out that JEEP is a brand name and that calling a Trooper, X5 or whatever a 'JEEP' is similar calling a Pepsi a 'Coke' or a Dyson a 'Hoover'...

It's not really pedantic. Jeep only seems to be used in Ireland to describe four wheel drives, SUV's or whatever anyone wants to call them.

I remember an Irish friend in Australia enquiring about someone's new "jeep". The reply was "no I bought a land cruiser mate"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭pajo1981

All the same, nothing annoys quite like a ****-for-brains in a scanger-wagon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Mitsubishi Lancer the 99 or 00 1.3 models with the Lexus tail lights!

Usually driven by Skanger young ones at speed.....whats their hurry.

They also have the super awesome loud exhaust :D

-Chris- wrote: »
    @everyone - let's discuss the cars and not the posters (and possibly the owners) if possible

*Ahem*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Limerick3

Jeeps/SUV's and Minis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Audi Q7 - the motoring equivalent of the Celtic Tiger; crass, ugly, aggressive and tasteless.
    Porsche Cayenne - It's not a Porsche and it's ****ing beat down.
    Nissan Tiida - Soooo ugly, so dull and usually badly driven.
    SAAB 9-3 (all of them) - old models had truly appalling handling and the newer ones look like a 1996 Seat Toledo with fancier alloys and lights. **** and a nail in the coffin for the brand.
    Passats (current) - Dull and not even that worthy. I've driven them all from the 1.9 to the 3.6 V6 sold in America. I don't know which was more disappointing but all had wooden handling, average performance and a pretty crappy interior when considered against the hype and the competition.
    Audi A3 - A girly Golf as well as being one for the badge snobs and those who aren't too fond of their own money.
    Range Rover Sport - You're fooling noone. Get a proper Rangie.
    Two wheel drive Audis - what's the point?
    Peugeot 307 - This car marked the end of good looking, decent handling, reliable Pugs. Hateful thing. Die!!

jaffa20 wrote: »
    What?:confused:

some of the tasteless mods i see just after id have my dinner... for breakfast before heading to work...

well and truely sickens me to my stomach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Any ford, they've all become second rate cars.

Very average look, and built down to a price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

EPM wrote: »
    Audi Q7

To me it signifies obnoxiousness (the fcekin size of it), brashness or wannabe quite like it.

+1, couldn't agree more!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭bmw535d

Just because you can doesn't mean you should... If ive just ate my dinner i intend on keeping it in my stomach ! :mad:

SSSSSssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

The Toyota Corolla sold between 1997 and 2002.

I really hate these cars even though the 1.4 is very pokey for an engine that size and it is mostly reliable.

Any poverty spec Paddy spec car with a weedy little engine that the general public who know nothing about cars think is a grand old car, so 1.4 Golfs, all Audi A3s, 1.6 Avensis/Mondeo/Passat etc. I don't particularly have much time for poverty spec 316is or 316ds either.

I also despise Renaults but I see nothing irrational about that;)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Up All Night

Volkswagen.. All of them... Started hating the golf from the door handles, seats, steering, gearbox, horrible engine noise to the accelarator pedal which feels like the cable is seized. Then realised i hate every VW.

I moved house and every time i look out my front window all i see is poxy VWs. I drive up the m50 theres one in front, one beaide and more in my rearview mirror.

People think they are buying a touch of class. The most boring/ hateful cars ever and that stupid vw badge keeps getting bigger every year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Carson10

Nissan Tida is shockin. I think the people who buy these cars are senseless. It seems as if they just stick with Nissan no matter what ugliness the car is. They prob had a sunny then about 3 almeras and then went to the dealer and said i have €20k can i have a new almera please, oh they dont make them anymore? il have a brown tida.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭mikewest

Most of what I have read here are rational hatreds.

Now I on the other hand have a completely irrational hatred of VW Passats.
    Absolutely hate the f'ing things. Not as bad as it was as they don't seem to be so much in favour with sales rep's as they used to be and the overall driving of them isn't as bad as it used to be but I still hate the sight of them on the road.

mikewest wrote: »
    Most of what I have read here are rational hatreds.

Now I on the other hand have a completely irrational hatred of VW Passats.
    Absolutely hate the f'ing things. Not as bad as it was as they don't seem to be so much in favour with sales rep's as they used to be and the overall driving of them isn't as bad as it used to be but I still hate the sight of them on the road.

I agree.. About 05-06 in that gay sky blue.. They were everywere at one stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

Oh my god theres so many crappy sh!$$y cars out there boyracers i hate with the following

Toyota Starlet, Glanza's
    Intergras
    Civics
    Lancers
    Micras
    Pulsars
    Mivec Colts
    Yaris's not really done up cars i just hate them ha

I hate the way they go on about crappy engines v tec dohc martins abc 123 litres in all its just crap. just drive a bloody car that goes doesn't have to be scraping the floor wit a noise that sounds like a bogey moped.

• Advertisement

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    It's not really pedantic. Jeep only seems to be used in Ireland to describe four wheel drives, SUV's or whatever anyone wants to call them.

I remember an Irish friend in Australia enquiring about someone's new "jeep". The reply was "no I bought a land cruiser mate"

Actually calling a 4x4 a "Jeep" irks me too, and I do it occasionally out of habit. They are not Jeeps.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep

This is not a Freelander:
    2005-Jeep-Hurricane-Concept-1280.jpg

Ah, the new freelander 360, I see.

A great jeep, I hear.

pburns wrote: »
    Matt Simis wrote: »
    Actually calling a 4x4 a "Jeep" irks me too, and I do it occasionally out of habit. They are not Jeeps.

The original jeep was a General Purpose Vehicle, GP for short, invented by the American Army in WW2. They were 4X4, all terrain vehicles. This design has been copied, and any 4X4, all terrain vehicle, has since been generalised as a Jeep.

THEN, some smartarse came along and patented the letters "Jeep", and started selling a make of 4X4's under that brand name. Its like somebody patenting the name "car". A Sports Utility Vehicle (SUV) originally meant a pick-up with a canopy. It absolutely detest when the term SUV is used instead of jeep. A motorized golf caddy is an SUV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Rockery Woman

Rember the scrappage scheme in the late 90's when almost everybody bought the ball of ****e that was the Fiat Punto.

And they were nothing but trouble - every single one of them.

Then the poor sods tried to trade them in for other makes of cars.... and were offered very little for the crappy Puntos.

And they were stuck with them.... for years and years. Traipsing to the scrap yards for parts... every week.... sob stories about windscreens leaking around the seals, exhausts falling apart, funny noises from the engine - when the engine actually started which was a rarity!

That is my weepie-story this week!:(

So I have a rational hatred for Fiat Punto!

Rember the scrappage scheme in the late 90's when almost everybody bought the ball of ****e that was the Fiat Punto.

Actually, Fiat's finance was the clincher there iirc, 30 squid a week, they were called social welfare cars :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Conor_M1990

MK4 Golfs especially the 1.4 overpriced **** to drive slow unreliable bland Ive driven every golf from the mk3 up and hat is he worst the new ones with the 2.0 tdi they aint a bad auld car to drive nice little engine that

One thing I never got about the Irish is why so many people pay stupid money for **** cars like 34k for a new Poverty spec A4 with a 115bhp 2.0 diesel madness well my personal opinion opinion is anyone who buys a car on finance is mad but lots of people do it.

• Advertisement

MK4 Golfs especially the 1.4 overpriced **** to drive slow unreliable bland Ive driven every golf from the mk3 up and hat is he worst the new ones with the 2.0 tdi they aint a bad auld car to drive nice little engine that

One thing I never got about the Irish is why so many people pay stupid money for **** cars like 34k for a new Poverty spec A4 with a 115bhp 2.0 diesel madness well my personal opinion opinion is anyone who buys a car on finance is mad but lots of people do it.

the audi is justifed to the extent that alot of motorists Aren't too picky but when they can afford to be; buy the nicest car they can afford on the market in their opinion, them audi's are as save as houses ( looks/relyablity wise anyways )

besides, once their not in a skoda its quite acceptable imho :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

I have an irrational hatred for Honda Civics, the ones from '89 to '97 (the model numbers excape me). I know it's irrational as the have cracking engines in the B16's, are reliable and put up with dogs abuse. But I still HATE them.

It maybe due to the type of person that can be seen driving them, and generally causing grief at rallies......

The original jeep was a General Purpose Vehicle, GP for short, invented by the American Army in WW2. They were 4X4, all terrain vehicles. This design has been copied, and any 4X4, all terrain vehicle, has since been generalised as a Jeep.

THEN, some smartarse came along and patented the letters "Jeep", and started selling a make of 4X4's under that brand name. Its like somebody patenting the name "car". A Sports Utility Vehicle (SUV) originally meant a pick-up with a canopy. It absolutely detest when the term SUV is used instead of jeep. A motorized golf caddy is an SUV.

Wikipedia somewhat disagrees with your history lesson, but its irrelevant.
    The fact of the matter is the word Jeep is a trademark, like Tannoy, Hoover and Xerox. As noted, the Irish people seem to have a difficulty differentiating product and brand, a Frontera is not a Jeep, its an SUV.

An "SUV" on the other hand is not defined as a "pickup with a canopy" its differentiated from a pickup with a mere canopy as it refers to a unibody pickup.

The correct usage of these terms is the only way to differentiate:

Cherokee Jeep (A Jeep, but maybe a Pickup or SUV)
    A Mazda CX7 (a purpose built SUV)
    A Qashqui (an "Urban" SUV, emphasises on Urban)
    An Audi allroad (a Crossover)

Honda Civics all types, again based on the standards of driving by the owners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Rookster

All Toyotas and Nissans.

• Advertisement

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Wikipedia somewhat disagrees with your history lesson, but its irrelevant.
    The fact of the matter is the word Jeep is a trademark, like Tannoy, Hoover and Xerox. As noted, the Irish people seem to have a difficulty differentiating product and brand, a Frontera is not a Jeep, its an SUV.

An "SUV" on the other hand is not defined as a "pickup with a canopy" its differentiated from a pickup with a mere canopy as it refers to a unibody pickup.

The correct usage of these terms is the only way to differentiate:

Cherokee Jeep (A Jeep, but maybe a Pickup or SUV)
    A Mazda CX7 (a purpose built SUV)
    A Qashqui (an "Urban" SUV, emphasises on Urban)
    An Audi allroad (a Crossover)

Ah, good aul Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willys_MB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Opel corsa.
    Bmw 1 series.
    Bmw compact. - i detest these cars, ugly, badly proportioned....pointless.
    Ford cougar.

Yeah I read that first, then the link I gave you, and again, irrelevant as we are talking about trademarks. Many trademarked or commercially used words have origins in strange places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

MK IV & V Golf 1.4 petrols and TDi's because of the people I know of that drive them.

+1 on the honda civic

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭weekaizer

All estate cars, all people carriers, and the Nissan Micra!:D

Rover 75. Ugly looking piece of rubbish. The old fasion cream clocks, the gear stick and the horrible seats all turned me stomach and if it was english registered the back numberplate was nearly the same size as the car..

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭james1410

i really hate skoda's with a passion they were always cheap dirt and always will be! plus that drab dark green they use on them is deppressing! and they look crap too! there is no real style with them. oh and i hate civics

starting to hate audi a4's now to there like the new civic! and all seem to be draging the ground with mercedes amg wheels!

also punto's micra's toyota yaris and aygo also opel corsa and generally crappy little cars!

i hate modern box shape cars to they just look stupid!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

Cant stand BMW 1 series cars. They are pig ugly little yokes. I hate the look of most modern cars nowadays too as they all look too similar and really are just bland and boring. Also drove a mates Daewoo Lanos recently and couldnt wait to park the thing and get away from it. Cars like that would make me start to hate driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

all toyotas
    all boy racer cars civic - starlet etc
    all small cars driven by old grannies at 10 mph
    most french cars
    most jap cars except honda accord nissan 370z GTR etc there class:cool:

PS really Like the Crysler 300c :p , on the outside anyway inside typical tacky american finish

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement