Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

john delaney on the disco train

• 14-10-2010 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭bonkers

buying 5 grand of drink for Irish fans.. hero or joker?
    more here
    and here

delaney.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

5 grand of drink still doesn't make up for hiring Steve Staunton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

LOL he looks like hes about to be taken advantage of in that pic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Not waving but drowning.

As ever with the FAI, the people he stabbed on the way up are biding their time which must surely be coming soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,046 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

He bought 5 grand of drink, of course he is a ****en hero

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

stovelid wrote: »
    Not waving but drowning.

As ever with the FAI, the people he stabbed on the way up are biding their time which must surely be coming soon.

Who are these people and will they do any better?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

niallo27 wrote: »
    He bought 5 grand of drink, of course he is a ****en hero

You did see recently what his wage is per annum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Pity he didn't do it last time, when i was there :(

orourkeda wrote: »
    Who are these people and will they do any better?

Read this sometime:

who-stole-our-game.jpg

I hope so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I think the FAI oganising the free train from Bratislava gives him more brownie points.

Wonder if that 5G will pop up on an expense account or a overhead cost to the Slovakian FA for changing the venue.

Go on John, do an Ivor on it!! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

He's a joker but his fellow jokers (Ireland away fans) will lap him up because he bought them a drink one time. Sums up the mentality of Ireland fans. John Delaney is one of their own, a complete goon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

430k per annum. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I'd probably like Delaney if I was ****faced drunk. Not all away fans are mindless BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Pauleta wrote: »
    He's a joker but his fellow jokers (Ireland away fans) will lap him up because he bought them a drink one time. Sums up the mentality of Ireland fans. John Delaney is one of their own, a complete goon.

Are you really trying to blame all the problems that the FAI causes on Irish away fans. Fooking stupid post.

How do you suggest that we can all fix the FAI so? I can't wait to hear whatever genius answer you have worked out.

Pro. F wrote: »
    Are you really trying to blame all the problems that the FAI causes on Irish away fans. Fooking stupid post.

How do you suggest that we can all fix the FAI so? I can't wait to hear whatever genius answer you have worked out.

At what point of my post do i blame the irish away support for the problems the FAI have caused? All i said was they will lap him up because Delaney bought them a pint

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

You talk some amount of sh!te, you know that.

At what point of my post do i blame the irish away support for the problems the FAI have caused? All i said was they will lap him up because Delaney bought them a pint
    It seemed to be implied to me. Fair enough if it wasn't.

So what is your problem with Irish away fans? Goons and jokers you seem to think they are, why so?

It seemed to be implied to me. Fair enough if it wasn't.

So what is your problem with Irish away fans? Goons and jokers you seem to think they are, why so?

Thats off topic. I will PM you if ya want ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Would have thought that was very self explanatory!

http://www.sportsfile.com/id/465314/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

What are you on about? Seriously.. Have you ever been to an away game? Do you know any of these people personally?

I know a lot of die hard Ireland fans. They're entitled to have a good time/piss up if they're following their country and keeping the peace, which they all do anytime i've been away.

I'm sure there's always going to be a couple of bad apples, but hardly enough to justify tarring the whole lot.

Thats off topic. I will PM you if ya want wink.gif
    No it's not off topic. In a thread about Delany buying Irish fans drink you start calling the fans goons and criticising their mentality. Now I'm asking you to explain why.

Do you have a problem with them aswell? They seem like a fine happy bunch to me. What am I missing?

• Advertisement

How very dare they spend their own money travelling to a foreign city and having a good time, cheering on their national team and availing of a generous offer of a few free scoops. :mad:

I was in Diceys last thurs and who strolls in pissed at around 12 only Delaney himself.The lad looks like an apres match caricature of himself.Walking joke,i couldnt stop laughing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Can someone explain how, buying the away fans a few free drinks has turned into a slagging match about away fans and john Delaney?!

Im in no way sticking up for him but....even if the man does a decent thing hes gettin abuse! can do no right so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Threads like this descending into rubbish because of the LOI/anti national team high horse brigade really make me hate this forum sometimes.... Grow the hell up!

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Can someone explain how, buying the away fans a few free drinks has turned into a slagging match about away fans and john Delaney?!

Im in no way sticking up for him but....even if the man does a decent thing hes gettin abuse! can do no right so!
    He could have spent it on more worthy causes in Irish soccer. Like putting the money into the grass roots of Irish soccer. He just comes across as trying to buy peoples acceptance by buying them drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

I hate the man so much its hard to put it into words that won't get me banned from this site.
    "Buy them all a drink, that'll keep them happy" gob****e of the highest order.

Charging 50 euro mimimum to see Andorra, forcing loyal fans to buy over priced tickets to mikey mouse friendlies against the Norwegian reserves, hiring Staunton as a world class manager, overseeing the farce that is our own national league, allowing clubs to go to the wall and reform as a new entity to clear their debts and like the others before him prostituting out the national shirt for a bit of corporate cash. All this from a man on more money than the taoiseach!

End Rant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

ive met delaney 2 times in person, both at ireland away games, and both times he came across as a pretty decent man. the staunton thing will f8ck him up for ever and the LOI fans will never like him and while he has his faults, he aint the worst.

I understand people's grievances with the man, he gets dogs abuse for ripping fans off and his shambolic treatment of the LOI, and rightly so, but he finally gives something back to the fans, he TRAVELLES to the game with them, and those same people are still knocking him over it. He literally cannot win. Credit where credit is due and all.
    cournioni wrote: »
    He could have spent it on more worthy causes in Irish soccer. Like putting the money into the grass roots of Irish soccer.

He does an awful lot for Irish grassroots football.

Muff_Daddy wrote: »
    I understand people's grievances with the man, he gets dogs abuse for ripping fans off and his shambolic treatment of the LOI, and rightly so, but he finally gives something back to the fans,

You think arselicking a few fans and buying them scoops on the way to away games makes up for chronic mismanagement?

• Advertisement

You think arselicking a few fans and buying them scoops on the way to away games makes up for chronic mismanagement?

Not exactly, but it's something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Threads like this descending into rubbish because of the LOI/anti national team high horse brigade really make me hate this forum sometimes.... Grow the hell up!

Uhh thats was Gavin.

http://www.sportsfile.com/id/465327/

As you can see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭FUNKY LOVER

has it seriously come to people who wear a scarve etc to an away game are abused on a forum??

my god what a country of begrudgers morally high people and arseholes the celtic tiger has created.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

has it seriously come to people who wear a scarve etc to an away game are abused on a forum??

my god what a country of begrudgers morally high people and arseholes the celtic tiger has created.

I think that kind were here long before the celtic tiger !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭FUNKY LOVER

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    I think that kind were here long before the celtic tiger !

well the celtic tiger certainly added to the numbers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

i say fair f*^ks to him

for anyone who actually met him is he a pretty sound lad it must be said, like anything in this country he didnt go into his job to piss people off, he went into it with the best intentions and when he finally got there he seen the amount of red tape and back hand dealing involved, to blame one man for the failings in irish football is small minded and very petty...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Gobshite still doesn't know how to comb his hair.

I would have poured the scoops over him.

tricky D wrote: »
    Gobshite still doesn't know how to fix his wig.

fyp

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

tricky D wrote: »
    Gobshite still doesn't know how to comb his hair.

I would have poured the scoops over him.

No you wouldn't. You would have drank the scoops and then moaned about him on a football forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭bohsfan

While I don't know enough about John Delaney to either laud or lambaste him, he does really seem to be the kind of guy who can do no right in the eyes of some.

If he had left all the fans sitting on a train and caught a FAI funded helicopter to the stadium he would have been the worlds worst. Instead he caught the train with the fans and bought them a few cans and he's the worlds worst.

bohsfan wrote: »
    While I don't know enough about John Delaney to either laud or lambaste him, he does really seem to be the kind of guy who can do no right in the eyes of some.

If he had left all the fans sitting on a train and caught a FAI funded helicopter to the stadium he would have been the worlds worst. Instead he caught the train with the fans and bought them a few cans and he's the worlds worst.

The FAI paid for the chartered train. Can i also add John Delaney had a "Q&A" session with about 100 or so of his Ireland supporting minions at Lansdowne Rugby Club just before the Russia game with of course a free bar and food.

No money for Sligo's league cup winners medals but free booze and travel for the easily amused :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

The FAI paid for the chartered train. Can i also add John Delaney had a "Q&A" session with about 100 or so of his Ireland supporting minions at Lansdowne Rugby Club just before the Russia game with of course a free bar and food.

No money for Sligo's league cup winners medals but free booze and travel for the easily amused :rolleyes:
    Seriously dude what the fúck is your problem with people supporting the national team?

Delaney - an incompetent despot who is fond of publicity stunts, I agree with.

But your constant digs at Irish fans is bang out of order. So grow a pair of testicles and say what your problem with Irish fans is.

I've been to a number of Ireland away games. I've been to number of beautiful countries in Europe, seen some beautiful scenery, met some fantastic people both Irish and otherwise, witnessed some higs and some lows on the pitch, and sampled fantastic atmosphere in pressure cooker stadiums.

And yes, I have had nights where I've had a few gargles, and not have to pay the extortionate prices I have to pay at home, but I've never acted the d!ck, nor have I witnessed very many people who did.

But sure, I guess I'm just easily amused........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

PaddyBomb wrote: »
    No you wouldn't. You would have drank the scoops and then moaned about him on a football forum.

Given my posting history in the soccer forum (or lack of posting), that's highly unlikely. Besides it's been an ambition of mine for years.

As well as trying to get the clubs to cover the costs of the attending FAI suits. The same cash-strapped clubs you preach financial prudence at all season.

Fuck off Delaney.

Still though: few pints for the lads. Top man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

LOI fans on tedious soapbox in thread hijacking shocker.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

flahavaj wrote: »

No just one, would actually bet there was more LOI fans on that train than post on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

LOI fans would have seen this mans ineptitude up close so of coarse they're going to be vocal.
    No just one, would actually bet there was more LOI fans on that train than post on this forum.

Why wouldn't there be? Most LOI fans would support the national team too, you know being Irish football fans and all that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Read this sometime:

who-stole-our-game.jpg

I hope so.

That looks like a really interesting book, thanks! I will have to try pick it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

Id say a third of his job is designated to LoI. Obviously that's plucked out of the air but for the most part his job involves:

- Youth investment accross the board, including underage Ireland and LoI.
    - LoI
    - International.

Underage is often not even FAI run but instead council run in conjunction with FAI etc.
    LoI run exclusively by FAI.
    International is the big money maker but also requires less involvement and I would assume is mainly looked after by simple logistics/marketing folks.

So yes, LoI fans complaining about a man who is paid in excess of 400k for doing a terrible job at LoI, rubber stamping council run leagues, and showing his face at international matches.

Augmerson wrote: »
    That looks like a really interesting book, thanks! I will have to try pick it up.

It's not just of interest to LOI supporters btw. It's about the FAI generally, including the international team too.

That's like saying it's tedious soapboxing to criticize the government?

Do you think LOI supporters should pretend that the FAI do a good job?

• Advertisement
Advertisement