Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

john delaney on the disco train

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Reasons for Delaney's unpopularity:

1) His cowardly behaviour when at the end of the Euro2008 qualifiers. "Staunton's appointment was nothing to do with me".

2) The massive debt he has inflicted on the FAI. He promised the money for the new stadium would forthcoming upfront. He failed.

3) This in turn has lead to the LoI-Man U game PR disaster. The Limerick-Barca fiasco. And 50€ to watch Ireland-Andorra.

4) No business credentials to be the CEO of the FAI.

5) Despite our association being cash strapped, he still stays in top class hotels while on FAI business and saw no issue with earning €430,000 a year. Bertie Ahern style man of the people, eh? :rolleyes:

6) Allowing brand new clubs from Cork and Derry to gain instant promotion through the A Championship over existing clubs. Whatever happened to "fair play"? :rolleyes:

7) The ten point deduction for Drogheda and the now defunct Cork City in 2008. The relegated clubs who paid the bills must have been so pissed off. Whatever happened to "fair play"? :rolleyes:

8) "Team 33" and the rest of his behaviour after the game in France. Shameful stuff. :o

9) Coming to power on the back of his daddy's buddies. Do you all know what his father was doing with the FAI's money?
    http://www.thedubliner.ie/the_dubliner_magazine/2007/04/own_goal.html

10) His omerta style grip on the LoI through the Orwellian titled "participation agreement". :mad:

And in the "Delaney is a top bloke" arguement we have, he bought people a few cans in eastern Europe.

Wow!!!!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Threads like this descending into rubbish because of the LOI/anti national team high horse brigade really make me hate this forum sometimes.... Grow the hell up!

Shels fans, they're their own worst enemy at times.

Who cares what the motivation was for Delaney to buy the lads a load of drink, it was a very decent thing to do regardless of how much money he has.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

No one's saying that buying a few drinks for the fans on the train is not a decent thing to do but that hardly makes up for his shortcomings as listed above now does it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Who cares what the motivation was for Delaney to buy the lads a load of drink, it was a very decent thing to do regardless of how much money he has.

If he was fucking up the SPL, you'd care quick enough.

This thread is pathetic. I'm not putting the boot in to the Irish supporters (half, as said, of who, were probably LOI supporters) but you can't open a thread about JD and criticize people for taking him to task over his management of the FAI, league of Ireland and the national team because he bought a few lads some drink. Wtf are yis like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

Shels fans, they're their own worst enemy at times.

Oh the logic :rolleyes:

Motivation is everything. He is ripping off the association, has put the FAI into a debt of 43million, has accepted books done by artists rather than accounts from a number of clubs, and put Ireland's home league into chaos. This has let young talent stream out of the country to England/Scotland etc.

He stopped Barcelona coming to play here giving greater exposure to the league, look what the Real game did in terms of publicity.

His motivation is actually summed up in your post. He is fooling the plain joes into thinking that all is rosey in our fair island. That 5k came from your pocket. That match versus Russia... after expenses...the biggest chunk of that profit went straight into his pocket :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

stovelid wrote: »
    Do you think LOI supporters should pretend that the FAI do a good job?

No they should stick to pretending to be Ultras in freezing cattle sheds instead of boring us all with their moaning.:pac:

flahavaj wrote: »
    No they should stick to pretending to be Ultras in freezing cattle sheds instead of boring us all with their moaning.:pac:

He's messing up my inflatable hammer jaunts too though. The man has gone too far this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

He's messing up my inflatable hammer jaunts too though. The man has gone too far this time.

Des used to harp on about hammers and orange beards and hats etc.

It's ok, a time will come in your life when what a football fan who forks out hard earned money to go and cheer on the their country wears to a match will have little relvance to you.

Or you at least better hope so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Ebbs wrote: »
    Oh the logic :rolleyes:

Motivation is everything. He is ripping off the association, has put the FAI into a debt of 43million, has accepted books done by artists rather than accounts from a number of clubs, and put Ireland's home league into chaos. This has let young talent stream out of the country to England/Scotland etc.

He stopped Barcelona coming to play here giving greater exposure to the league, look what the Real game did in terms of publicity.

His motivation is actually summed up in your post. He is fooling the plain joes into thinking that all is rosey in our fair island. That 5k came from your pocket. That match versus Russia... after expenses...the biggest chunk of that profit went straight into his pocket :)

This thread is pathetic. I'm not putting the boot in to the Irish supporters (half, as said, of who, were probably LOI supporters) but you can't open a thread about JD and criticize people for taking him to task over his management of the FAI, league of Ireland and the national team because he bought a few lads some drink. Wtf are yis like?

I said that it was decent of him to buy a drink... I never commented on whether or not I thought he was doing a good job!!!

LOL at you guys and your "thankers" who obviously are finding hidden meanings where there ain't any!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I'd have thought that the lads who travel to Ireland away games would be fairly hardcore and would know all too well what a shambles Delaney is.

Having a dig at LOI fans is simply an easy deflection when the fact of the matter is that the very fans who most likely are posting on football forums about Delaney in a negative fashion will sell their soul for a scoop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Carlsberg is fvckin poison

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Dave! wrote: »
    Carlsberg is fvckin poison

Ah here, there's enough silliness in the thread without you starting.

Blasphemy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

That's like saying it's tedious soapboxing to criticize the government?

Do you think LOI supporters should pretend that the FAI do a good job?

I agree with ya on the criticism of Delaney. But posters like Pualeta and Gavin with their childish, holier than thou, begrudgery of Irish fans in general need to cop themselves the fúck on. Are you alright with the bollocks coming from those two?

Tbh the impression I get from this forum is that none of the LOI fans like the national team and that you all like to get a dig in at the fans when you can.

ntlbell wrote: »
    Des used to harp on about hammers and orange beards and hats etc.

It's ok, a time will come in your life when what a football fan who forks out hard earned money to go and cheer on the their country wears to a match will have little relvance to you.

Or you at least better hope so.

Hark at the arrival of Ntlbell.

This can only mean that a) Biohs are in the champions league b) it's LOI vs EPL time.

That comment was a joke with flahavaj. The away fans stuff was off-topic and didn't come from me.

I'm putting the boot into Delaney for his mismanagement: both national and international.

That's allowed isn't it?

Or did youse never rip into Rafa or Fergsuon on account on them once buying a fan a drink somewhere?
    Pro. F wrote: »
    Tbh the impression I get from this forum is that none of the LOI fans like the national team and that you all like to get a dig in at the fans when you can.

I boycott the national team (as in don't go to games) because of the current FAI regime. I still support the team though and was a regular for 25 years even thought country is second to club. I do think the Irish team gets a disproportionate proportion of fairweather 'inflatable hammer' fans and while they are more than fair game for slagging (as any of you would slag fairweather supporters of your clubs) I wouldn't have a pop at Irish supporters generally: why would I as I support the team too.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I'd have thought that the lads who travel to Ireland away games would be fairly hardcore

Not all would be when it comes to trips that are a cheap Ryanair flight away.

• Advertisement

Hark at the arrival of Ntlbell.

This can only mean that a) Biohs are in the champions league b) it's LOI vs EPL time.

That comment was a joke with flahavaj. The away fans stuff was off-topic and didn't come from me.

I'm putting the boot into Delaney for his mismanagement: both national and international.

That's allowed isn't it?

Or did youse never rip into Rafa or Fergsuon on account on them once buying a fan a drink somewhere?

I boycott the national team (as in don't go to games) because of the current FAI regime. I still support the team though and was a regular for 25 years even thought country is second to club. I do think the Irish team gets a disproportionate proportion of fairweather 'inflatable hammer' fans and while they are more than fair game for slagging (as any of you would slag fairweather supporters of your clubs) I wouldn't have a pop at Irish supporters generally: why would I as I support the team too.

As I said, it's just an age thing, you're obviously young and when you're a bit older things like people with inflatable hammers and people generally having a good time won't annoy you so much, you'll be a lot less angry.

I think it's great that big events etc bring people who wouldn't normally go out for a day out and a bit of enjoyment, you have to realise which I have stated on here so many times, not everyone views sport/football/being a fan like you do.

why some people would be slagged or abused for enjoying themselves to me is bizzare, so what? their casuals they're not die hard fans there life is not football like it might be for a lot of fans.

I've met plenty of plastic hammer shake a shamrock fans who live and breath football, they're just having a bit of craic. why you find these people embarrasing says more about you than them tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

dan1895 wrote: »
    No one's saying that buying a few drinks for the fans on the train is not a decent thing to do but that hardly makes up for his shortcomings as listed above now does it?

I really don't think anyone here believes that it makes up for his shortcomings, all anybody is saying is he did something decent, fair play to him for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

Zebra3 wrote: »

So your saying your level of support is only measured by the amount of money you spend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Maybe you should research how the Scottish Game is mismanaged before you make a comment like that.

John Delaney walks on water and can turn water into wine by comparison to the muppets running the game in Scotland.

As I said, it's just an age thing, you're obviously young and when you're a bit older things like people with inflatable hammers and people generally having a good time won't annoy you so much, you'll be a lot less angry.

Forget everything I said. You're alright, you.

• Advertisement

Forget everything I said. You're alright, you.

See even before you started to discuss the issue with me you try to undermind my opinion by stating nonsense about when I get involved in t hese discussions.

bohs in the cl ? is this anything to do with bohs? are they in cl?

is this about epl?

silly childish jibes, so I can only assume on your posting style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

Can someone clarify what he actually spent €5,000 on? Was it put behind a bar as a tab or did he buy cans for the chartered train? I would imagine that €5,000 would buy a lot of cans in Slovakia :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭fkiely

Zebra3 wrote: »

Do you have any idea how much flights to Slovakia were?

See even before you started to discuss the issue with me you try to undermind my opinion by stating nonsense about when I get involved in these discussions..

In this case, your usual cavalry charge on behalf of the victimized isn't warranted as you picked up on a joke I made with another poster.

Anything I've said (at least until I was answering you) in this thread has nothing to do with who are the real supporters: only criticism of Delaney which is my right to do as a football supporter - both of the national team and of the league that this man ostensibly manages.

The thing here is that the wagons immediately circle on any strong criticism of Ireland outside **** debates about tactics. As if criticism of, say, Rafa, from within Liverpool supporter ranks here would be shouted down because he was a 'decent fella'. Problem is that most people here don't have to endure the sharper edge of Delaney's mismanagement and while that's fair enough, they have no right to belittle genuine grievances about him as LOI moaning even if some of the backlash was sparked by comments about Ireland fans.

As for slagging off fairweather fans: it's a football forum, Deal with it. Far worse baiting and WU goes on. Anybody who only attends big games (whether LOI or EPL, TV or game) is a part-timer. That's hardly a shocking thing to say in a football forum. It should only offend those who want to be thought of as something else and don;t bother watching games but still spout off at length. Anybody I know who just likes watching the odd game isn't precious about how they're perceived. Why would they be?

Muff_Daddy wrote: »
    So your saying your level of support is only measured by the amount of money you spend?

No.

There are people who go to as many Ireland games home and away as much as they can afford and/or get time off work for.

However there are some people who wouldn't be arsed paying €50 for a ticket in LR to watch Ireland, yet once there's an away game they can fly to for €100 or so return and with cheap beer, they're interested in going "for the craic".

There's a huge difference between those two categories of fans.

Slagging fair weather fans, sure. But slagging people for having a bit of fun at games is childish imo.
    So, what about the generalised sweeping statements of self righteous bollocks coming from Pauleta (mostly) and Gavin (less so) on this thread? Are you alright with those?

In this case, your usual cavalry charge on behalf of the victimized isn't warranted as you picked up on a joke I made with another poster.

Anything I've said (at least until I was answering you) in this thread has nothing to do with who are the real supporters: only criticism of Delaney which is my right to do as a football supporter - both of the national team and of the league that this man ostensibly manages.

The thing here is that the wagons immediately circle on any strong criticism of Ireland outside **** debates about tactics. As if criticism of, say, Rafa, from within Liverpool supporter ranks here would be shouted down because he was a 'decent fella'. Problem is that most people here don't have to endure the sharper edge of Delaney's mismanagement and while that's fair enough, they have no right to belittle genuine grievances about him as LOI moaning even if some of the backlash was sparked by comments about Ireland fans.

As for slagging off fairweather fans: it's a football forum, Deal with it. Far worse baiting and WU goes on. Anybody who only attends big games (whether LOI or EPL, TV or game) is a part-timer. That's hardly a shocking thing to say in a football forum. It should only offend those who want to be thought of as something else and don;t bother watching games but still spout off at length. Anybody I know who just likes watching the odd game isn't precious about how they're perceived. Why would they be?

The topic is about delaney buying the lads a few drinks.

You know why he did it, I know why he did it. It was a decent thing to do, but delaney didn't do it because it was the decent thing to do. Your annoyance or rants seem to be to make sure the stunt is seen through. Fair enough.

I don't really give a hoot if you slag of fans I just think it's a pointless exercise and you and the rest of the "loi gang" end up looking like morons with a big chip on your shoulder. I normally show up in threads where LOI fans are making a show of themselves to try and bring a bit of perspective so people won't think all LOI fans don't go on like idiots.

The reason I used Des as an example was because he used to be that guy and thankfully he seems to have realised it's pretty futile.

I don't go to games with beards or plastic hammers or anything else so you're not insulting me, I don't give a f*ck really of how you see me, you don't know anything about me.

You walk up to a plastic hammer wearing fan and tell them what you think of them and see if they're precious about your insulting views? No you wouldn't dream of it.

because I don't get involved in most of the circle jerking that goes on in LOI threads doesn't make me any less of a "fan" than anyone else.

cop on.

Slagging fair weather fans, sure. But slagging people for having a bit of fun at games is childish imo.
    So, what about the generalised sweeping statements of self righteous bollocks coming from Pauleta (mostly) and Gavin (less so) on this thread? Are you alright with those?

he won't answer that, he knows they're in the wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

You'd wanna go back and read my two posts in this thread, just to save you the hassle of looking http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/search.php?searchid=14982188# where's my "self righteous bollocks"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

he won't answer that, he knows they're in the wrong.

I want to keep the topic about John Delaney. Start a new thread if you like.

• Advertisement

The topic is about delaney buying the lads a few drinks.

You know why he did it, I know why he did it. It was a decent thing to do, but delaney didn't do it because it was the decent thing to do. Your annoyance or rants seem to be to make sure the stunt is seen through. Fair enough.

I don't really give a hoot if you slag of fans I just think it's a pointless exercise and you and the rest of the "loi gang" end up looking like morons with a big chip on your shoulder. I normally show up in threads where LOI fans are making a show of themselves to try and bring a bit of perspective so people won't think all LOI fans don't go on like idiots.

The reason I used Des as an example was because he used to be that guy and thankfully he seems to have realised it's pretty futile.

I don't go to games with beards or plastic hammers or anything else so you're not insulting me, I don't give a f*ck really of how you see me, you don't know anything about me.

You walk up to a plastic hammer wearing fan and tell them what you think of them and see if they're precious about your insulting views? No you wouldn't dream of it.

because I don't get involved in most of the circle jerking that goes on in LOI threads doesn't make me any less of a "fan" than anyone else.

cop on.

Are you going to give me detention? What a pile of moralizing shite.

If you want a uncritical buddy-up about JD, have it on a private forum or go to PM.

I can say what I like about the man. I'm not breaking any rules am I ?

Are you going to give me detention? What a pile of moralizing shite.

If you want a uncritical buddy-up about JD, have it on a private forum or go to PM.

I can say what I like about the man. I'm not breaking any rules am I ?

I don't think you read that post at all.

I was agreeing with you on JD.

I don't think you read that post at all.

I was agreeing with you on JD.

I was specifically referring to the stuff about Des in the ranty bit.

The uncritical jibe was the thread on the whole.

My intention was to criticize Delaney - as an Ireland and LOI supporter and I was angry that it's casually written off as LOI bitterness. It is in a way, but not like I set out to criticize him as a default position. It's only from the evidence and experience at hand.

The inflatable hammer crack (from my perspective) is a metaphor for fair weather event-junkies (again, that's hardly a shocking thing to hear on a football forum and you hear it from many other, not just LOI) It's not a jibe at supporters who bring flags and scarves to matches for a good time - as I myself do.

http://www.goldenpalacehotel.am/index.php?page=rates

This is where The Man of The People was slumming it in Armenia. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Loads were still giving him awful abuse over in Slovakia.

You'd wanna go back and read my two posts in this thread, just to save you the hassle of looking http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/search.php?searchid=14982188# where's my "self righteous bollocks"?

Here's the bollocks that I was referring to. The ''self righteous'' bit was in relation to the way you deem yourself in a position to judge how other fans support their team. Oh noes, the Ireland fans aren't doing it right and they look sooooo silly... Stupid immature eejitry whatever way you look at it and typical of your contributions on this type of topic. I asked you before but you didn't answer so I'll ask you again - What are those Irish fans doing that's so bad in your eyes? Why are you calling them goons?
    Pauleta wrote: »
    I want to keep the topic about John Delaney. Start a new thread if you like.

Your posts are a fúcking joke man. So far you have called Irish fans goons, clowns, easily amused, JD supporting minions and criticised their mentality. If you don't want to take the thread off topic then stop slagging off Irish fans. Or, as I suggested earlier, grow a set of balls and try to justify your scandalous accusations.

@Stovelid:
    Still no answer to my question?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

. I asked you before but you didn't answer so I'll ask you again - What are those Irish fans doing that's so bad in your eyes? Why are you calling them goons?

criticised their mentality

You typed what I planned!

You typed what I planned!

Stop wasting my fùcking time man. You are obviously deliberately trying to avoid justifying your and Pauleta's slagging of the irish fans with your half arsed responses
    . Are you frightened of actually trying to explain yourself or what?

So what exactly do you think is wrong with their mentality?

Advertisement