Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Package delivery sunk to new lows!

Options
  • 14-10-2010 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭

Well you thought it couldn't get any worse? It has!
    Came home to the familiar note in the door re 'attempted delivery' (in this instance the package *absoutely* would have fit in the letterbox, just like its identical counterpart did a week ago).

Rang to ask for a redelivery, got through to a call centre operator in Dublin who informed me that NONE of the post offices nationwide re-deliver any more! The reason given was that 'some people have ruined it for the rest by having packages redelivered 3 or 4 times'?????

Can they deliver to an upstairs neighbour? Nope! Has to be a DIFFERENT door number! Not sure about apartment blocks, but if you are sharing space in a large older house you are f*£cked!

Am going to write again to them. The location for pick up is totally unacceptable, now that they won't redeliver I have reached my limit with these eejits! :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Nationwide concern.
    Gy->Ah

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭flyton5

Normally they just hand them into your neighbours no? Maybe not An Post...they dont do well on the whole common sense front....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭KungPao

I wish somebody would accept the delivery of my package.

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

My package delivery has always been first rate.

Right in the slot everytime.

No complaints.

etc. etc.

Yours in innuendo,

AnonoBoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭KungPao

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    My package delivery has always been first rate.

Right in the slot everytime.

No complaints.

etc. etc.

Yours in innuendo,

AnonoBoy.

Yes, but do you offer back door delivery at no extra charge?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

On a few occasions I've seen the letter saying a parcel couldn't be delivered. this was while I was in the house and the bell wasn't even rung. Once I caught the post man and asked about it and he replied "well it was a little big so I left it in the depot for you to collect yourself" - want to f*cking kill him.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Osgoodisgood

inisboffin wrote: »
    Came home to the familiar note in the door re 'attempted delivery' (in this instance the package *absoutely* would have fit in the letterbox, just like its identical counterpart did a week ago).

Rang to ask for a redelivery, got through to a call centre operator in Dublin who informed me that NONE of the post offices nationwide re-deliver any more! The reason given was that 'some people have ruined it for the rest by having packages redelivered 3 or 4 times'?????

Can they deliver to an upstairs neighbour? Nope! Has to be a DIFFERENT door number! Not sure about apartment blocks, but if you are sharing space in a large older house you are f*£cked!

Am going to write again to them. The location for pick up is totally unacceptable, now that they won't redeliver I have reached my limit with these eejits! :(

You'll be wanting a courier company mate.
    They'll leave your stuff anywhere you like (at your risk). An Post won't ever do that. They'll leave it at the local PO for you for a week or 2 for you to collect. Given the very low cost of the service compared to the couriers and transport companies they seem to offer good value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Maybe the package sender explicitly requested a "signed-for" / recorded delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

And yet they have ads saying they deliver more parcels than anyone else in Ireland :rolleyes:

They make my blood boil.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

SHOCK NEWS! IRISH NATIONAL SERVICE IS LAZY AND INADEQUATE! Weather to follow.

I agree though. An Post are shit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

You'll be wanting a courier company mate.
    They'll leave your stuff anywhere you like (at your risk). An Post won't ever do that. They'll leave it at the local PO for you for a week or 2 for you to collect. Given the very low cost of the service compared to the couriers and transport companies they seem to offer good value.

They leave it back to the delivery offices. This is for insurance/liability reasons. OP if you're in Dublin the delivery office in question shouldn't be too far away from your location. I'd suggest picking it up before you write your letter of complaint because it'll be returned to sender usually within two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

Xiney wrote: »
    And yet they have ads saying they deliver more parcels than anyone else in Ireland :rolleyes:

They make my blood boil.

But they do. That's not a false statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

Sanjuro wrote: »
    SHOCK NEWS! IRISH NATIONAL SERVICE IS LAZY AND INADEQUATE! Weather to follow.

I agree though. An Post are shit.

ah now, be honest they are incompetent shit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭mp3kid

Xiney wrote: »

They make my blood boil.

The ad actually says "Someone who knocks on everydoor in the country" Which is also a blatant lie.

They don't knock, and they don't "attempt delivery".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Few users had very similar issues dealt with over in Consumer Issues forum, specific actions that you can do to sort it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Chorizo

Have never had an problems with An Post. If the parcel doesnt fit the postman rings the door or leaves it in the porch. If im not there he leaves it with a neighbour. Quite a nice friendly fellow. But i suppose it changes from area to area.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Our postman carries a lump-hammer to adjust packages to fit our letterbox.

After a delivery one day last week, it took us 4 days to glue the contents of a parcel back together, only to discover that it was once an electric cooker.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Maybe the package sender explicitly requested a "signed-for" / recorded delivery.

Funny you should mention that...got a small package in the post this morning (was expecting it), that was sent "Signed For" through royal mail.
    Postie stuffed it in the letterbox (wouldn't fit through) without knocking for a signature.
    Better than driving to the depot, but if I wasn't home and someone decided to pull it back out (fairly expensive item) where would I stand...the guy must have signed for it himself.
    Internet sales delivery seem to have pissed off an awful lot of postmen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I've asked the mods to move this back to Galway (which is where I am) as this huge frustration is because of the location of the Galway parcel pick up. It is practically 'out the country' and is not even on a bus route. Elderly folk or anyone without a car is screwed. I wouldn't be ranting about this if I just had to pop on to town or hop onto a bus to go collect it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 156 ✭✭Cranky Mc Funhouse

I didn't think it couldn't get worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I've asked the mods to move this back to Galway (which is where I am) as this huge frustration is because of the location of the Galway parcel pick up. It is practically 'out the country' and is not even on a bus route. Elderly folk or anyone without a car is screwed. I wouldn't be ranting about this if I just had to pop on to town or hop onto a bus to go collect it.
    It seemed more like a general rant, and it still is but I'll humour you. AH->Galway
    Do you have an actual question or do you just want to complain about how far away it is? It's been at that location for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

I live close to the post centre and could pick it up for you but I won't.

biko wrote: »
    It seemed more like a general rant, and it still is but I'll humour you. AH->Galway
    Do you have an actual question or do you just want to complain about how far away it is? It's been at that location for years.
    thanks Biko :)
    Yes, and it's been frustrating for years, but now it's gotten worse as they will not deliver twice to the same address!

You would like a quessstion? ;) ok..
    Some people were going to (from older threads) write or phone a complaint about this? Wondering if you got any sort of response? Be interesting to hear before I write myself,

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭xtradel

Kinda off topic but...

I've got a charming postie....once on a friday we were heading away for a weekend and spotted our fav postie in our estate (small estate, 34 houses in a circle) so when leaving we drove over and asked was there anything for No. 15? He said yes...and kept walking so we said fair enough and drove around to the house and waited for him to reach our house where he handed us some flyer from 123.ie! We said that he prob thinks he's being a smartarse and left it at that. Came home on Sunday and lo and behold we had mail!! Couldnt believe that postie went to all the trouble of walking back to his van, waited for us to leave and then had to walk back to the house to deliver our proper mail just to be a smartarse :confused:

Just to clarify, our regular postie doesn't seem to deliver packages, it is a separate delivery, as early as 9 and as late as 5. Our normal post is nearly always between one and two.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

When I lived in Dublin It was impossible to get anything delivered and if you missed delivery, you had to travel miles to a parcel sorting office, now I'm in a small Meath town the post office mistress holds everything for me and they open SDaturday morning. It's great

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    I live close to the post centre and could pick it up for you but I won't.

??
    OK.:rolleyes:

MajorMax wrote: »
    When I lived in Dublin It was impossible to get anything delivered and if you missed delivery, you had to travel miles to a parcel sorting office, now I'm in a small Meath town the post office mistress holds everything for me and they open SDaturday morning. It's great

It must depend where you are in Dublin, I assume there are multiple ones. For Ranelagh and Rathgar for example, you just pop in to Rathmines Post Office.

Eglington Street or somewhere in town would make life SO much easier. It would at least be on a bus route.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

MajorMax wrote: »

When I lived in Dublin they used to leave the package at your local post office for you so it was easy peasy to collect it. I'm not sure why they don't that here, probably down to having space in the post offices.

I agree with OP, it's ridiculous to have to go out to the Tuam road for it. What if you aren't very mobile or have no car?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

I used to have to collect mine in the mail centre when living in Oranmore but can now collect in Athenry PO since moving to Athenry, Oranmore PO is very small and wouldn't be suitable for the postie to be dropping off a big amount of undelivered parcels. Maybe it's down to each PO

Advertisement