Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mercury Rev - Where to start?

Options
  • 14-10-2010 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭

So, someone posted a Mercury Rev track in the spooky song thread. Lincoln's eyes? It was pretty amazing. MR are a band I've never really been interested in at all, and have always overlooked them. I have to admit I really love that psychedelic sound though.

Anyone recommend where to begin/what albums I should look to for more of the same?

Nice wan.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Deserters Songs (1998) - a must, great record

All Is Dream (2001) - good in parts, OK-ish overall

Secret Migration (2004) - didnt like this at all, so kinda lost interest in discovering other Mercury Rev albums.

Hope this helps! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

Thank you sir. Is Deserters Songs pretty psychedelic?

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭allprops

Deserter's Songs. Glorious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

pinksoir wrote: »
    Thank you sir. Is Deserters Songs pretty psychedelic?

A little bit I suppose, although a band thats often compared with them...Flaming Lips - I would say they'd be far more psychedelic

Opening track Holes is amazing....they do add in a few pyschedelic elements throughout the album now I think of it, a lot of saw-playing going on and its gets a little bit jazzy now and again. I hear a lot of influences from John Lennon, The Beatles & Neil Young in that album.

This song was kinda accessible when it came out, dunno if you remember it (maybe your not old like me :o)

Nah, I'm pretty old. I saw they were often compared to Flaming Lips, or at least put in the same category. I do like the Flaming Lips. I'm definitely gonna check out Deserters. I'm pretty sure Lincoln's Eyes is on All Is Dream, so I may give that a go too. Ah, buying albums based on one song. The memories...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,389 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Deserter's Songs; beautiful, beautiful, beautiful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

If you want psychedelic you should listen to Boces and Yerself is Steam. Their earlier stuff is more psychedelic than their newer material.

eg:

I agree there is a similarity with the Flaming Lips; they even shared one or two bandmembers in different lineups.

I like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

pwd wrote: »
    I agree there is a similarity with the Flaming Lips; they even shared one or two bandmembers in different lineups.

Jonathan was in the Lips for In A Priest Driven Ambulance and Hit To Death In The Future Head, was there another member crossover too?

Advertisement