Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a loan/funding for a postgrad abroad...

Options
  • 14-10-2010 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hey folks,

I'm reeling from a (short) conversation I just had with my branch of BOI - their student lending officer tells me they don't allow student loans to students studying outside the Irish Republic.

I'll be studying in Denmark, for what it's worth. Have been offered a place, to commence in January.

Has anyone had any experience in raising funds for study in another country?

Any suggestions would be very welcome.

J.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Alliandre

Is there any way you can get a loan over there?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 RapaNui

Good question. I hadn't thought of that but will look into it. I don't have any "standing" with a bank over there - although that didn't amount to much here either :)

If anyone has succeeded in getting a loan from any Irish bank for study abroad I'd be interested in hearing about it. Credit Union have at least agreed to meet me to discuss it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Alliandre

Perhaps if there's a branch of a bank in the university campus you're going to that would be more open to lending to international students? There might be something in the finance/fees section of the university website.

Credit union here might work. If you take out a joint loan with a parent or someone who will still be in this country it might look better, even if it's just you who's going to be paying it all back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I got a loan approved to study in London by AIB. As it turns out I am now doing a different course and will be staying in Ireland for a while but they were able to do it for me.

Advertisement