Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arts Essays

• 14-10-2010 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Hi all, I am a first year Arts student studying English, History, Politics and Celtic Civ. Im currently researching for my first history essay which is on the Government of Ireland Act 1920. I am wondering if anyone has sample essay, on anything, could they post them up please. No i do not want to copy them. I am not a plagarist and i dont want to get caught for that sort of thing. All i want to jnow is how to reference books and quoting also. With only 8 days to my first deadline i dont have a clue how to do that.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

There is a good article on how to reference properly below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Referencing

It explains which style is best for the various disciplines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

OP I'd urge you to purchase Finbarr O' Shea's handy book "Up With Which I Will Not Put", it discusses the conventions on how to reference (from a subject of History's point of view). It's a very good book and is just €7 from the History Department in 5 perrot avenue.

Also, Politics and History as far as I'm still aware operate different methods of referencing so consult with respective departments.

Just is just a very quick run through on referencing. I'm not being held accountable for errors or if it's the right system (lecturer's individual tastes vary):

Use MS Word if you're typing the work. Press 'Ctrl', 'Alt' and 'F' at the same time. It brings you to the bottom of the page and you can insert your footnote (works for me). The footnote is one of two essential components, the other being your bibliography.

The convention for referencing using a footnote is as follows: surname, first name. Book title (in italics) then in brackets: (Publisher, location, date) and then page number - p. 1 eg. When you're coming back to that same book for the second time use the following: surname of author; shortened title of book; page number.

For example. First reference: Darby, John. Northern Ireland: Background to the Conflict. (Gill & Macmillian, London, 1990) p. 20
    2nd time ref. from the same book: Darby. Northern Ireland. p. 21

When you compile your bibliography, firstly use the same as the 1st reference but drop the page number. Secondly, put the authors' surname in alphabetically.

Example:

Bew, --- book details.
    Church, " "
    Mathews,
    Morrison, and so on.

Reference in your essay. Continually, better to over-refer than under-refer. You don't need to reference common facts like: "Hitler invaded Germany in 1939" or "The Gov. of Ireland act was introduced in 1920" as they are common and accepted knowledge but if you were writing something more concise or detailed it's important to reference.

I'll have a look through my files and see if there's anything I can send on.

Hope it helps. Any questions: shoot.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Hi all, I am a first year Arts student studying English, History, Politics and Celtic Civ. Im currently researching for my first history essay which is on the Government of Ireland Act 1920. I am wondering if anyone has sample essay, on anything, could they post them up please. No i do not want to copy them. I am not a plagarist and i dont want to get caught for that sort of thing. All i want to jnow is how to reference books and quoting also. With only 8 days to my first deadline i dont have a clue how to do that.

You can use Word to insert your references, it depends on what type of referencing that is to be used, Harvard style or APA. Harvard uses footnotes to reference, APA is referenced in text.

As far as I know, both history and English faculities use the Harvard style, but you need to check that with your individual lecturer. Take your time with the referencing as I'm pretty sure some of your mark goes on how you reference.

I have to use APA, so I can't really give you much advice on the Harvard style, but I use Word to insert the info about the book, and click the button to insert the reference.

http://www.plagiarismchecker.com/ is a website I can across to check plagurism. Just reference any pieces of text that you take from book, and you should be okay, over reference rather than under reference!

Harvard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Politic use APA as far as I'm aware. It's a pain in the h*le as I was so used to using History's referencing system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

When you're researching don't forget about journal articles! They will often be more specific than books.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 karablack037

In writing art essays, there are certain tips that you can follow for you to write a good one. The essays on arts may seem to be boring to most, however with the skills and the writing abilities that you have, you can make your art essays very interesting. Here are some tips that you can make use of for you to have a well written essay that you can be proud of.

If you want to have a well-written essays on arts, you need to have a well researched essay. Seeking information about the art that you will be writing about will give more ideas that you can expound on.

Writing good art essays will require you to know where to start. Start from the idea of what is the grandest thing about the art that you are writing about. This will help you appreciate the art more.

Review the different art forms that you know. This is what will help you have more ideas on what you can write about. This is what will help you have well and widely explained art essays.

With all the information and knowledge on where to start in writing art essays, you can now start writing. Gather all the things that you need in order for you to come up with the art essays that you can have.

These are just some of the things that you need to remember when writing art essays. These tips will help you to be armed with the knowledge and skills that you can use when writing art essays like a pro and have the essay that you can really be proud of.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

The thread is over a year old - no point in dredging up old threads. I'm locking it as the OP's question has been answered, nothing else to be added

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement