Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Barstool Republicans

• 14-10-2010 3:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

I just want to know have ant of you encountered this?
    What i mean by this is the type of person who wears a Celtic shirt and goes to wolf tone gigs and then feel like theyre and authority on the signatures of the proclamation and more besides. Im sure there are plenty who are clued in and also go to see the tones . I also think that some of these people give others a bad name
    Now i dont claim to be an expert on the foundation of the state and the circumstances that led up to it but i dont go around shouting the odds either. . Some people i have come across will not have a decent conversation about these things and if theyre out argued they will call you anti Irish. For some reason Ive never found this when talking to American freinds about the American founding fathers , granted i only know about 10.
    Here is a song that you can listen to if you get a little stressed, actually anyone who hasnt listened already should, its funny

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

You fond of your kneecaps?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I'm suspicious about this thread ending well, all joking aside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ILA

I've encountered a few of them. Much more numerous are anti-republicans on Boards, though that's probably because it's Dub-centric and a large proportion of posters are part of generations which don't care about a nationhood or the sacrifices made for them by prior generations from 1916 through to the present day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Nobody takes them seriously, they are just using it to fill a void in their lives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I'd rather be a Barstool Republican than a Marching Orangeman......

*dons tin hat* :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Sharkey 10

Biggins wrote: »
    I'm suspicious about this thread ending well, all joking aside.
    I dont see why i shouldn't end well and if it ends badly i may have proven my point.
    Just to make my self clear this isnt an attack of Republicans it is an attack on less knowledgeable aspects of it , im sure anyone entering to debate will bring some amount of knowledge and act reasonably.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Sharkey 10 wrote: »
    ...I'm sure anyone entering to debate will bring some amount of knowledge and act reasonably.
    Fair point, we can hope.
    Shared knowledge and education can be a great thing. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

This thread will just end if madness like all the others

Im Republican, i have a huge genuine interest in Irish history, well history in general but i love Irelands history. I don’t apoligise to anybody for holding Republican views, and i have no problem listening to unionist views or people who simple don’t agree with Republican beliefs. Im always open to a constructive thread discussing different things concerning Ireland and the hope of a United Ireland.

Saying that i also am a die hard celtic fan, does this make me a scumbag though? I supported Celtic long before i knew about the history of this country, i do agree there is alot of idiots though who simply believe its fine to don a Celtic jersey and yell IRA slogans, not knowing about history. These so called Republicans annoy me because we all get labelled with the same tag then. For example the famous photo you can find online of the protest to ‘foreign’ games in Croke park, with one lad in a celtic football shirt saying no to foreign sports in croker lol.

I don’t believe anybody who isn’t Republican is anti-irish though, but i do think there is alot of anti-irish posters here, and more so anti-republicans as i think people just like to bash republicans when they can. I will respect somebodys views on why they arent a Republican if they have valid points, but the ones who simply come on and basically yell sinn féin / IRA at you i havent any time for.

Im Republican, i have a huge genuine interest in Irish history, well history in general but i love Irelands history. I don’t apoligise to anybody for holding Republican views, and i have no problem listening to unionist views or people who simple don’t agree with Republican beliefs. Im always open to a constructive thread discussing different things concerning Ireland and the hope of a United Ireland.

Saying that i also am a die hard celtic fan, does this make me a scumbag though? I supported Celtic long before i knew about the history of this country, i do agree there is alot of idiots though who simply believe its fine to don a Celtic jersey and yell IRA slogans, not knowing about history. These so called Republicans annoy me because we all get labelled with the same tag then. For example the famous photo you can find online of the protest to ‘foreign’ games in Croke park, with one lad in a celtic football shirt saying no to foreign sports in croker lol.

I don’t believe anybody who isn’t Republican is anti-irish though, but i do think there is alot of anti-irish posters here, and more so anti-republicans as i think people just like to bash republicans when they can. I will respect somebodys views on why they arent a Republican if they have valid points, but the ones who simply come on and basically yell sinn féin / IRA at you i havent any time for.

+1

Btw such people have "The Fields of Athenry" destroyed with their "Hey Baby let the free birds fly", "Sinn Fein", "IRA" add ins. I actually hate the song now because of it and cringe when people do it in the pub!

• Advertisement

Your second paragraph is exactly what i was trying to get at, I myself am a fan of Celtic , not a die hard though and when i was younger spewed anti english sentiment but after school i suppose dropped all that and began to think more critically about republicanism and the direction it has taken.

kfallon wrote: »
    Btw such people have "The Fields of Athenry" destroyed with their "Hey Baby let the free birds fly", "Sinn Fein", "IRA" add ins. I actually hate the song now because of it and cringe when people do it in the pub!

Lol yea i think its something i expect from 15-17 year old lads drunk, but hearing grown men shouting it at Celtic matches just puzzles me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Here is a song that you can listen to if you get a little stressed,

Posted just for me I bet, I am feeling stressed :)

Know plently.
    As I am a member of a Celtic Supporters club and have several trips to Glasgow. Supported since Packie Bonner in Genoa.
    And while our club constitution is non sectarian, you'll get all to hear all the songs and the chants.
    Me, I go for the football.
    No league of Ireland club in my county or wider area before I get "support your local team" comment.

Many seem to believe that a football stand called a KOP stands for King over Pope??
    So there are certain clubs an Irishman should never support as they have a Kop stand :rolleyes:
    Refuse to believe it came from Boer War Veterans and Spion Kop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

They're ubiquitous.

In fairness, I'm sure they are as repugnant to most reasonable republicans as they are to rest of us.

As for Celtic, most people here support foreign mega-clubs so they might as well support one with a cartoon Irish theme I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

I dont think its possible to be clued in and to go to wolfe tone gigs

I dont think its possible to be clued in and to go to wolfe tone gigs

How come out of interest?

I love Irish ballads, wolfetones are ok, preferred them more when i was in my teens i guess, i love the Clancy Brothers these days though, great singers. But i do like irish ballads in general, and yes i would listen to songs about the Hunger Strikers too. Im still educated enough on Ireland but appreciate good ballads, i do agree though there is a mentality with young people and maybe still older that we have to hate English people.

I think any true Republican will have a genuine interest to educate him or herself on the subject of Irelands history, and in doing so realise it isn’t the average joe soap from the UK that caused problems here, and that the GFA is the way forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

If the Dublin Riots of 2006 filled your heart with pride, yes you are a scumbag.

If you were ashamed of these pricks, then you are at least normal.

I love ireland, i love it here, but for people to still think in 2010 that England are the enemy and that a united Ireland is even a faint possibility, you have rocks in your head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

I was in a bar there a few years back and there was this big muscular guy with an IRA tattoo, wearing a Celtic jersey, sitting at the bar on his own.

Anyway, for no reason whatsoever, he kicked lumps out of me.

I was minding my own business having a drink and at one point, I got up to go to the toilet, but the guy was in my way.

So, I gently put my hand on his shoulder, smiled and politely said:

'Do you mind if I push your stool in .. "

Lost the head he did! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Interesting topic OP, I was actually thinking about this only today, sparked by a mate, who is a bit of a barstool republican, chastising a friend who played a Wolfe Tones song at 4 in the morning, arguing "Yeah you throw it on now that's there's a party going down, but would you listen to the song if you were on your own?". I admit it was a fairly abstract point, but I think my mate who made the comment was trying to highlight that the person who threw on the song was a barstool republican (eventhough he was one himself).

Anyway, what I was thinking today was this (and this may genuinely annoy some people, but it's how I feel): While the deeds, as best as I understand them, done by people at the start of the 1900's, were heroic, and the lack of sympathy shown to this country's people during the great famine by the governing English government at the time, is inexcusable, if we were still under English rule, would it make any difference whatsoever? Yes I know we would have been obliged to compete in the two world wars, would be involved in the middle-eastern crisis in modern times, but would it really make a difference to modern day life?

I just couldn't find myself coming up with any reasons apart from "national pride" for being against English rule. I am sure I will get slated by someone more educated than me in the intricacies of international relations, but I, personally, couldn't really be bothered weather this country is ruled by a pack of **** sitting in Leinster house or a pack of **** sitting in the house of lords.

As I said, I'm not trying to start an argument with any die-hard republicans out there, I stand to be corrected or convinced.

OutlawPete wrote: »
    I was in a bar there a few years back and there was this big muscular guy with an IRA tattoo, wearing a Celtic jersey, sitting at the bar on his own.

Anyway, for no reason whatsoever, he kicked lumps out of me.

I was minding my own business having a drink and at one point, I got up to go to the toilet, but the guy was in my way.

So, I gently put my hand on his shoulder, smiled and politely said:

Lost the head he did! :confused:

lol!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

OutlawPete wrote: »

:

lol.

untrue story is untrue...

..but funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

I love Irish ballads, wolfetones are ok, preferred them more when i was in my teens i guess, i love the Clancy Brothers these days though, great singers. But i do like irish ballads in general, and yes i would listen to songs about the Hunger Strikers too. Im still educated enough on Ireland but appreciate good ballads, i do agree though there is a mentality with young people and maybe still older that we have to hate English people.

I think any true Republican will have a genuine interest to educate him or herself on the subject of Irelands history, and in doing so realise it isn’t the average joe soap from the UK that caused problems here, and that the GFA is the way forward.

I just can't stand them.

Im a trad musician myself. Banjo, mandolin, sean nós singer singing mainly 19th century songs. Im also an Irish history nerd so songs about Irish history are great. Its the 'rebel songs' I cant stand because I'm not a violent person.

Clancy brothers are great. Listening to a lot of the Bothy band lately. effin' magical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I stood next to a guy on the LUAS yesterday who was wearing a "Tiocfaidh ár lá" jacket.

Is that the class of fellah you mean?

I just can't stand them.

Im a trad musician myself. Banjo, mandolin, sean nós singer singing mainly 19th century songs. Im also an Irish history nerd so songs about Irish history are great. Its the 'rebel songs' I cant stand because I'm not a violent person.

Clancy brothers are great. Listening to a lot of the Bothy band lately. effin' magical.

Ah i like the rebel songs, but i like trad too, there are some rebel songs though that you know are just wrote for the twats. I like alot of irish music too, Clancy Brothers definitely top of my list. Il have to look into the Bothy band, not sure if im familiar with them

I know what you mean though about some songs, same as Kfallon i think it was saying how Fields of Athenry is now ruined with the shi*e they chant in the chorus.

Tbh i dont think the wolftones are really any good unless theyve changed there shtick sine the 90s .
    If you apreciate irish ballads i would listen to the dubliners , the clancys and especially planxty all three are streets ahead the wolf tones and the bile they spew

Tbh i dont think the wolftones are really any good unless theyve changed there shtick sine the 90s .
    If you apreciate irish ballads i would listen to the dubliners , the clancys and especially planxty all three are streets ahead the wolf tones and the bile they spew

I would rarely listen to the wolfetones now, i meant when i was younger id have them on. I alway shad the Clancy Brothers on and thats what i would mostly listen to now if have ballads on. The Dubliners are good too, and a couple of other singers / acts.

I just don’t like the people who think that they sing a song so they are Republican and hold the view of fu*k anything thats remotely British without knowing their history.

Another one that gets me, and proves who has or hasn’t a clue is a so called republican with a hatred of all things protestant, not realising just how great many protestants influences have been for the good of Ireland and republicans. Wolfetone being the classic example, one of many to be proud of!

Hope this works, great song!

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I stood next to a guy on the LUAS yesterday who was wearing a "Tiocfaidh ár lá" jacket.

Is that the class of fellah you mean?
    Possibly but he may hold well informed republican views , i was getting at people who dont know what theyre talking about but speak to you with an " im right and your wrong , no matter what" type of attitude

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Is An Phoblacht now gone? Well not gone entirely, they have a website

But thinking back, it's probably 2001 the last time someone tried to sell it to me in a pub

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Possibly but he may hold well informed republican views , i was getting at people who dont know what theyre talking about but speak to you with an " im right and your wrong , no matter what" type of attitude

Very true. He may hold some very well informed republican views but you'd think if he did then he'd refrain from putting that slogan on his jacket because of all the negative connotations it carries.

An Phoblacht was defo going up to a few months ago, couple of guys came into Quinns in Drumcondra trying to sell it one Friday evening when I was there!

They are still printing an phoblacht , someone tried to sell it to me in the hut in phibsborough during the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

its the assosiation with celtic football club that annoys me with people in this country and particularly in dublin that see it as a club for scumbags, it gets on my nerves when i see some scumbag going around in a celtic jersey who has a very avgue idea of what the clubs stands for(or stood for at one time, its a different club now run that is being ripped from its inside out but thats a whole other thread). these are the type of people who do the studpid 'ra add on's to the many songs and chants and it ruins them and is generally not heard around parkhead anymore except in pockets here and there, usually by a group of drunk irish lads over for a game for the weekend who are pissed out of their heads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

Only thing worse is a keyboard warrior:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

ILA wrote: »
    I've encountered a few of them. Much more numerous are anti-republicans on Boards, though that's probably because it's Dub-centric and a large proportion of posters are part of generations which don't care about a nationhood or the sacrifices made for them by prior generations from 1916 through to the present day.

No, you will find very few who will belittle the sacrafices from the men from 1916.

What you will find is condemnation of the acts of terror that came with the troubles. Bombing a pub is not an act of war, it's an act of terror done by people who are nothing more than scum.

I'm not Anti-Republican, I am against the Terrorist usurping of the word.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭davrho

flas wrote: »
    its the assosiation with celtic football club that annoys me with people in this country and particularly in dublin that see it as a club for scumbags, it gets on my nerves when i see some scumbag going around in a celtic jersey who has a very avgue idea of what the clubs stands for(or stood for at one time, its a different club now run that is being ripped from its inside out but thats a whole other thread). these are the type of people who do the studpid 'ra add on's to the many songs and chants and it ruins them and is generally not heard around parkhead anymore except in pockets here and there, usually by a group of drunk irish lads over for a game for the weekend who are pissed out of their heads.

Good post. Half these eejits would not be allowed in the gates at Celtic Park and the other half would be promptly thrown out. Not too keen on the direction the club is heading just now either but as you say thats a whole other thread for another section of the board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

In Republican Ireland Wolfe Tones try and avoid hearing you.

In Republican Ireland you are touted around pubs to the bemusement of An Phoblacht.

We have the makings of a new constitution here.

Advertisement