Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does the Amount of Ammo on Your Certificate Matter

Options
  • 14-10-2010 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Ok this might be a sore one for some people, but does the amount of Ammo on your Certificate matter?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Yes; legally an RFD cannot sell you more than the amount on your certificate and you cannot legally possess at any time more ammunition than is on your certificate.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Well, it depends how much you like having a criminal conviction and possibly serving time in prison. If that's your idea of a good time, then no, doesn't matter a damn.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭slippy wicket

In all fairness, under the old system as i observed it, it was not really applied.
    I can remember buying two cartons of cartridges and nobody paying the amount on the licence a blind bit of notice.
    dont know about the new system, have a 200 limit for the .243 which is loads for me.

I can remember buying two cartons of cartridges and nobody paying the amount on the licence a blind bit of notice.
    As I drove home from the range tonight doing 100kph where the speed limit was 100kph, a BMW tore past me and must have been doing 120 or so.
    Same story. If no caught, no penalty as the crime's undetected.
    If caught, however... well, right now half the supers seem to be looking at district court cases, so I wouldn't be expecting much leeway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Apply for the most you ever have and add a hundred!
    That way you can have a clear consonce

I have open driver on my car yet nobody drives it but me, however the very odd time it's useful to have and it's a great comfort.

Having a limit of 500 and you never have more than 300 just means you can have the option to buy!

Always apply for a decent amount on your permit, then never worry if you have 2,3,4,5,6,700 etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Apply for the most you ever have and add a hundred!
    That way you can have a clear consonce

I have open driver on my car yet nobody drives it but me, however the very odd time it's useful to have and it's a great comfort.

Having a limit of 500 and you never have more than 300 just means you can have the option to buy!

Always apply for a decent amount on your permit, then never worry if you have 2,3,4,5,6,700 etc

Good plan.

Here in UK it is the same system - maximum amount that you can hold and maximum amount that you can buy at any one time SHOULD enable you to have as much as you might need. Excepting the serious .22 target rifle shooters, who might want to buy in lots of 5000 or 10000 at a time, most of us are well within our holdings of 500-750 rounds.

I never have more than a hundred of any centre-fire cartridges available, apart from the Swiss military surplus GP11, where I buy and shoot all of them in under a year. This is because I make my own ammunition, something that I hope you will all be able to do in the near future. I DO shoot a lot of .22RF, so I could, in theory, have a thousand at any one time. This is great for me, because I only shoot one make and type of round in all my .22s.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have 500 for the .22 and shotgun and 150 for the .243.
    I regret not going for more .22 as some of the value boxes are actually 525 rds.
    I might try and get the limit upped to 1000 next time the license is up for renewal.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Put in a thousand for each gun that I have.

As I explained to my FO and Super it is simply that IF I saw a good deal for a certain brand or was going to a range,IE clays or pistol and was stopped I was coverd.As well as pointing out the guidelines too on clay and target shooting ammo limits.:)
    They both seemed happy with this as I was granted the increase,and had a secure seperate ammo storage box..

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Put in a thousand for each gun that I have.

As I explained to my FO and Super it is simply that IF I saw a good deal for a certain brand or was going to a range,IE clays or pistol and was stopped I was coverd.As well as pointing out the guidelines too on clay and target shooting ammo limits.:)
    They both seemed happy with this as I was granted the increase,and had a secure seperate ammo storage box..
    That might work in the south, but in the north economy is specifically mentioned as not being a reason for a higher ammo holding.

However batch testing for competition use is acceptable for upwards of 5000 rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

demonloop wrote: »
    That might work in the south, but in the north economy is specifically mentioned as not being a reason for a higher ammo holding.

However batch testing for competition use is acceptable for upwards of 5000 rounds.

Wouldn't have thought economy a great excuse myself. The 5000 rounds on my .22 licence are for batch testing and to enable a guaranteed supply (Buying decent ammo here is a barrel of laughs at the moment. Next guy who tries to tell me Eley sub hollow-points will be good is never going to see me through his door again, regardless of what else he sells or how cheaply).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭kenneths

i have another question....
    just say your license is for 100 rds but you had 250 at home (bought on different occasions),
    is this ok as long as you only carry 100 rds out with you :confused::confused:

kenneths wrote: »
    just say your license is for 100 rds but you had 250 at home (bought on different occasions),
    Nope, because you have the 250 at home in your possession (possession doesn't just mean you're carrying it in your hands, if it's at home in your safe, you possess it as well).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

kenneths wrote: »

Uh, this has a name - it's called 'being in illegal possession of ammunition to which you are neither entitled nor authorised'.

What's so hard to understand about that?

The licence authorises you to be in possession of a total of 100 rounds. Whether they are in your pocket or in your safe - YOU are in possession of them.

In the RoI I have no idea how that would be treated in court, but here in UK you would likely lose your licence as well as getting a hefty fine.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭marlin

hi guys
    when I got my licence for my .22 air rifle I was given an ammo limit of 100 rounds,
    ever tried buying a tin of 100 pellets :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

marlin wrote: »
    hi guys
    when I got my licence for my .22 air rifle I was given an ammo limit of 100 rounds,

Are pellets not unrestricted as part of the Europeans Weapons Directive?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭tfox

I applied for and got 500 rounds for every gun. Just thought seeing as my EFP had that listed as number of rounds I was permitted to carry may aswell apply for the same !!Only ever likely have 500 shotgun shells at once, maybe .17's, but as already said, no harm in being able to have more !!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

marlin wrote: »
    hi guys

I was in the same position for a year, I got my first licence just before the new ones came in, so it could not be adjusted at the station. I was told by my FO "to work away". However, I was looking over my shoulder for that year, even though I had written two letter to the super, my licence number was out by a digit too. Anyway I'm totally legal now, but often wondered what would have happened if I met the wrong member on the wrong day.

Advertisement