Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PC freezing at high loads

• 14-10-2010 3:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭

Weird one this. My PC started freezing about six months ago in high-demand programs, i.e Flight Simulator X, Live For Speed, IL2 1946 etc. At the same time it became, and still is, hard to start. It'll take 10 attempts to start but it'll start eventually. It would let the games load and would work fine at lower settings, so I suspected the graphics card. I got a new card today (PCIe Radeon HD5770 1GB) and it's still freezing in the same games, albeit at higher settings. No problem, I wanted a new GC anyway.

But it's still freezing. I'm running XP SP3 (2 month old installation, fully defragged) on an Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM, 500GB SATA HD. I suspect either the motherboard, CPU or PSU, which is 450watt. I've calculated via this site that total power demand is about 330watts.

What next? Can anybody suggest a way to narrow down the solution?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

how are your CPU temps?

and what make is your PSU?

have you mem tested your ram?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Auvers wrote: »
    how are your CPU temps?

and what make is your PSU?

have you mem tested your ram?

My is a WinPower ATX450, doesn't seem to be overheating. My CPU temps are maxing out at 53C using Prime95 and RealTemp. I've swapped out the RAM with other modules and it doesn't make a difference. The PC is 4+ years old and TBH I think it's time I retired the RAM, mobo, CPU and PSU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

I would be more inclined to say that the PSU is at fault, Winpower don't have the best rep, go ahead and buy something like this and I bet your problems will be solved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Auvers wrote: »
    I would be more inclined to say that the PSU is at fault, Winpower don't have the best rep, go ahead and buy something like this and I bet your problems will be solved

Yup, I've just confirmed that. I stopped the CPU fan and put my ear next to the PSU and it's making low but ominous crackly sounds. I'll be buying a new one in the next few days. Phew, that could've been E500 down the crapper. Thanks for your help.

Advertisement