Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What have you seen change big time in your life so far?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

kfallon wrote: »
    The size of me cock!

Can't believe nobody has said it already, AH your standards are slipping!

It got smaller? :confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Being sent to the shops to "do a message". The shops were 3/4 mile away. It usually involved bringing two bags, one for each side of the handlebars for balance and cycle back with them loaded with spuds. You went up to the man in the shop and told him what you wanted. No self-service, no supermarkets, no automatic tills, not many cars, no traffic-lights just keep your eyes open at junctions. You walked to school or cycled if rich. If it rained you put on your coat and hat.

Now children are "dropped off" in 4X4s, have activities, play Xbox, put on weight, and imo are not street smart, but better educated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Modern robotics. (no, not dancing.)

When i was a nipper the terminator & robocop films had me daydreaming about robots, drawing robots & made me generally obsessed with the idea of a walking talking machine.

The evolution of the honda/Asimo robot has always impressed me. Yeah its a bit of a runt but look at the feckin thing? its a proper robot than can walk up stairs & run & even fetch you a sandwich. A rasher sandwich. With brown sauce.

I'd still like to give it a crafty shove if i was walking past it though. Or a sneaky foot sweep. Just to see it clatter on the floor.

*obligatory southpark vid......

This change to this.

:)

Ah yes July 19th, Galway liberated from Indians that day too Ted. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

madrabui wrote: »
    Black Tower, Blue Nun and La Piat d’Or were fine wines.
    Instant showers - I don't know I survived, or how smelly the population was.

Vesta curries were "exotic" and "foreign" food.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

end of cold war

ira ceasefire

current financial problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

the smell of coal fires burning on the way to school,all my mates had coal bunkers at the side of the house

we used to have a milk man,coal man,egg man,paper round...all gone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

IN -ATMs-> GONE - Cheque books

IN -Credit cards-> GONE - Travellers cheques

IN -cheap, instant communications-> GONE - OPerator assisted calls

IN -NCT-> GONE - Bald tyres

IN -Fajitas-> GONE - tripe

IN -fresh strawberries....in October-> GONE - crab apples

IN -digital HDTV-> GONE - Black & white, valves

IN -MP3 players -> GONE - 8-track, cassettes, Walkmen, CDs(on the way out)

IN -Apartments-> GONE - They wont last:eek:

IN -Unleaded petrol-> GONE - Morris minors

IN -Bionicles-> GONE - board games

IN -Transformers-> GONE - tree climbing

IN -Regulations-> GONE - individual responsibility

IN -12 hour waits in emergency rooms-> GONE - GPs who could give you a plaster cast or a few stitches

IN -You can get anything you want on the internet, delivered to your door-> GONE - decent bookshops ( almost)

IN -decimal currency-> GONE - L, s, d

IN -Euro-> GONE - punt

Bit of a quiet night here at chez FoxT...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

They stopped selling fat frog ice creams

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

jujibee wrote: »

If you told anyone in the '90s that 10 years later they would be walking through an x-ray that showed them naked in order to get on a plane they would laugh in your face.
    till you showed them footage off the 9/11 bombing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

My penis has gotten much bigger.
    Shaving turns out to be a chore. Who'd have though that at 15?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Rabble Rabble

Frankly 2010 would be a sore disappointment to someone who did arrive here from 1985.
    As Bill Maher opined during the gulf oil spill.

"Why can't we fix this oil spill. It's 2010, for chrissakes. We should be solving mining disasters on the moon.

There were computers, mobile phones, games machines 20 years ago. The idea that we didn't anticipate that 2010 would have these things in better shape us nonsensical. Read sc-fi about 2010 from the 80's. The past expected better.

2010 is a sore disappointment.

Frankly 2010 would be a sore disappointment to someone who did arrive here from 1985.
    As Bill Maher opined during the gulf oil spill.

"Why can't we fix this oil spill. It's 2010, for chrissakes. We should be solving mining disasters on the moon.

There were computers, mobile phones, games machines 20 years ago. The idea that we didn't anticipate that 2010 would have these things in better shape us nonsensical. Read sc-fi about 2010 from the 80's. The past expected better.

2010 is a sore disappointment.
    You do realise that sci-fi is short for science fiction?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Our relationship with information.

Twenty years ago, if I was reading a newspaper and found an interesting fact about a current news story - say...the death toll in the 1988 Armenian earthquake - I'd read it a couple of times, memorise it, and mentally file it away for, I dunno, an English essay.

For the past 6 or 7 years, I just scan over news stories, taking in the gist of what has happened and not bothering to take in even the most basic facts because I know that if I really need to pull a figure out of the air - a death toll from an earthquake, the name of the first Chilean miner pulled from the makeshift shaft in the whatchamacallit desert - all I have to do is Google it.

This can't be a good thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Bill2673 wrote: »
    Yeah, I remember there being uproar when one of the girls down the road from us rang her friend in Wexford and stayed on the line for 40 minutes......"jaysus that must have cost a fortune".....(and it probably did too).

There was a public phonebox around where I lived that people used to use to receive calls. It would ring; a passerby would answer it and the caller would ask the person to knock into a nearby house to fetch someone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Rabble Rabble

You do realise that sci-fi is short for science fiction?

Based on an extrapolation of trends.

What we are doing here could be done 20 years ago on usenet. In fact the structure of the menus on top of boards.ie ( soc->religion) etc. are based on 30 year old usenet forums.

Based on an extrapolation of trends.

What we are doing here could be done 20 years ago on usenet. In fact the structure of the menus on top of boards.ie ( soc->religion) etc. are based on 30 year old usenet forums.
    boards.ie isn't the world.

If we were to go on sci-fi, it's the aliens that have let us down.
    And our descendants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Communications:
    In the late 90s, mobile phones meant we no longer had to wait under Cleary's clock for ages looking up and down the street to see if our date was coming. Our dates could just phone us to say they would be late (or had dumped us :()

I never actually thought of that, I remember spending quite a lot of time under the Clearys or Easons clocks, sometimes people wouldn't turn up and you would end up going home and finding out why days later. :D

I remember going outside as a child, from what I gather that is not the done thing these days, no playing around and hiding in strangers gardens these days.

I remember talking to adults I wasn't related to, learning about things like welding and electrical safety from wandering around the place seeing what people were up to.
    If one of my neighbours kids walked in on me working in my garage I wouldn't let them hang around, my immediate thoughts would be 'this is going to look bad, how do I get rid of them?'.

More people hire in professionals to get work done. How many people these days would build an extension by themselves, or even service their own car? People these days have the money to call people in and, hopefully, get the job done properly. I wonder if that will change back, things such as they are.

500 channels, there's still nothing on. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Plenty of big event, political, disasters and the likes, but it's the likes of the above that are imperceptible until we look back a decade or more and realise how much they have changed.

+1 on milk going off differently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

sagat2 wrote: »
    Murder: once upon a time, not too long ago any murder in Ireland would be huge news and covered by the papers and news for weeks, now we are chalking off dozens every week.

77 in 2007.
    Where are you getting dozens every week from?

The-Rigger wrote: »
    84 in 2007.
    Where are you getting dozens every week from?
    He's right though (except for the numbers).
    I have no idea of the actual figures, but I'd be surprised if it was anymore than 10 a year in the mid eighties.

• Advertisement

Reliance on technology, especially at school. I never touched a PC until I was 14 and now I'm glued to the things. I finished school in 2002 and the most we had was a computer class once a week. Back then, the worst thing the examiners had to worry about was extravagant calculators, now anyone with a mobile phone can potentially cheat.

Also, now you see schools with interactive whiteboards and laptops for the students. I work in IT and the company recently received an order for about 40 netbooks for a secondary school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Dogshit isn't white anymore.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

Biggins wrote: »
    I currently working on a manuscript for publishing and a number of things occurred to me recently while putting it together. Things that I have withnessed and/or lived through, taken for granted to some extent but before never really thought about or put into context.

In my time so far I have seen a major religious org' lose control and influence, I've seen more openness about sexual wants and needs, major change in attitude towards taking part in social change and protest, change in attitude towards those that still do participate and change in the way we interact with our fellow neighbours, citizens and fellow workers.
    ...And that's just a few things that immediately spring to mind.

I was wondering if there is anything that fellow board members feel they have seen a major change in, within the course so far of their current lives?

Food for thought? :)

What's the manuscript?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

What's the manuscript?

It's Biggins you're asking- As if he's going to give anything away!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

He's right though (except for the numbers).
    I have no idea of the actual figures, but I'd be surprised if it was anymore than 10 a year in the mid eighties.

You'd be surprised.
    There were 25 murders in 1985 and 30 in 2004.
    The did shoot upwards in 2005 - 2007 but have fallen back somewhat since.

Adyx wrote: »
    Dogshit isn't white anymore.

I just had to look this up, found the below on some science forum:
    The disappearence of white dog poo is down to what dogs eat these days.

White **** is the calcium left behind as the water evaporates, and the 'organic' components of the crap are consumed (in various ways) leaving the inorganic stuff behind.

Historically, before BSE came along, butchers used to dish out bones for dogs to munch on.

But nowadays dogs don't eat as much bone as they used to, including bone meal. This all got the lid shoved on it due to the BSE crisis. Also, tighter regulation on dogs crapping on pavements means that turds don't hang around for years in public places like they used to, giving them less opportunity to dry out and turn white.

So it seems it's all down to a big change in how we feed our hounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭neaideabh

Unintentially discovering why dog **** isn't white anymore!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Brilliant thread, but its making me late for work. I'll mull over it and get back with my observations later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

All I've seen is myself get older and greyer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

What's the manuscript?
    Classified till published. :o

• Advertisement

Biggins wrote: »
    Classified till published. :o

Wrong answer, now spill the beans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

Lab_Mouse wrote: »
    till you showed them footage off the 9/11 bombing

Right, but thats the point. The thought of something that horrific happening on American soil was inconceivable. Even when the first plane crashed no one thought the buildings would collapse. That day shifted our frame of reference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Neyite wrote: »
    being able to get the pill without being married.

being able to buy condoms without a prescription, in a chemist.

being able to buy condoms in the Gents toilets.

being able to buy condoms in the Ladies toilets.

not having to save for a year for a plane ticket to america.

having an MP3 thats the size of the play button on my old walkman

... and i am only 35.

I'm 35 too. I don't feel so bitter about not having had access to condoms as a kid though.;)

Advertisement