Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Options for someone not getting Social Welfare Payment?

• 14-10-2010 3:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

Does nayone know if there are any options available to a person who is not in reciept of a social welfare payment?
    My wife has just had her claim refused after means test as we are about 10 quid a week above the threshold.
    Since she is not in receipt of a payment, she is not eligible for CE schemes.
    She cant do a WPP job since we cant afford to lose money so she can work.
    Same for voluntary work (cannot afford to travel)

Besides the obvious answer (getting a job) is there any options out there for someone who is not costing this government anything but doesn't want to sit at home all day?

She has experience working on factory floors, in fish factories and as an adminstrator for a courier, but there aren't any jobs out there to be had.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

No, we've not got any rug rats yet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 milkybar kid wk

keep fighting your corner its sometimes ridiculous when they dont help our own if you just touched down in the country you'd be giving a new house social welfare for the wife child benefits and a taxi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

milkybar kid wk - Please read the charter for this forum. Remember that threads must be helpful and constructive.

dudara

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

The only thing I can think of, off the top of my head is to ensure that you have her tax credits transferred over to you. It would do no harm to apply for the likes of a medical card ( if you get turned down, you'll be no worse off).

As for volunteering, maybe she may get some travel costs given to her once she does basic training...but I dont know anything about it. It would do no harm to explain her situation to an organisation she is interested in working with. At the worst, the local library is a great resource for free cooking and training classes, it can depend on the library though.

Good luck to your wife OP :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement