Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crate problem Help Help Help

Options
  • 14-10-2010 3:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

My 5month old pup has loved his crate from day one, he gos in there to sleep and hides all his toys in there. But in the last few days while I'm out at work he has peed in his crate, he is not locked in his crate just at night when we go to bed!! Any reasons or advice on why this is happening and how to stop it!! I really don't understand why he is doing this to his own bed:( thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Are you leaving newspaper out for him to pee on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 soph!

Yep by the back door altought in the last month when iv come home there has been nothing, he was holding it till u got back!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Whereabouts in the crate did he pay? Was it on his bed? Do you have any others pets or was there any other pets in the house recently? Do you have small kids?

Assuming its not medical, you may need to take the crate training back a step and restrict the space he has when unsupervised. Clean his crate with unscented cleaning materials (try get the stuff from the vet shop that neutralises pet urine) too.

Presumably he is not peeing in the crate when you can see him?

Nope he is my only pet and there has never been another dog in the house. I have no children. Peeed in his bed part if it yesterday by the side of it and today right in the middle. When we are here he gos to the back door when he needs to go!! The crate I have isn't that big for the size of him. It's the one he gad had since a baby!! It has no way to make it smaller :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭LC_ugh

scold your puppy for doing that, sometimes if u dip their nose in it (i no its horrible but it worked on my dog) they wont do it again. jus have to make sure they know it is not acceptable to do this

• Advertisement

I don't see him doing it so is there really any point in giving out to him? He won't know what he is getting in trouble for!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

LC_ugh wrote: »
    scold your puppy for doing that, sometimes if u dip their nose in it (i no its horrible but it worked on my dog) they wont do it again. jus have to make sure they know it is not acceptable to do this

Sigh:( Here we go again. Please do not do this to your dog. Its cruel, out dated and totally unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭DeadlyByDesign

For the love of .....! I swear I had an argument on this forum this week for this exact subject! You do realise that is a form of cruelty yes?!!!!!! People actually don't realise this!!!???!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

soph! wrote: »
    Nope he is my only pet and there has never been another dog in the house. I have no children. Peeed in his bed part if it yesterday by the side of it and today right in the middle. When we are here he gos to the back door when he needs to go!! The crate I have isn't that big for the size of him. It's the one he gad had since a baby!! It has no way to make it smaller :(

One of my dogs did the same thing for a few weeks when he was young, never found out what it was but he seemed to grow out of it as his training continued. Granted he was younger than your dog at the time.

Sorry when i meant restrict his space, i meant his playing/roaming space as opposed to his crate space. When puppy training i have a crate and then fence off a part of the room he is in. As he starts to grow and show signs of development with his training, i increase the area size accordingly etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭reeta

DO NOT do that to the puppy, he will not know why you are doing it and
    it is cruel, it goes against everything any dog trainer will advise. Its outdated and extremely cruel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

OP have you taken the dog to the vet? It sounds like a urinary infection to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

As adrenalinejunkie has mentioned, a trip to the vet would be my first suggestion...if nothing else, to rule out a medical problem.

Then assuming all is healthy with your pup...remove the bedding from his crate for a few days....in my experience he will be less inclined to pee on the crate-base (and get his feet wet) without all that nice absorbent bedding in there.
    Only needs to be for a few days, so that the new habit is broken & forgotten.
    I did this, on advice, with a foster puppy I had a few years back who had learnt that it was OK to pee in the crate...and it worked a treat.
    If he's staying clean, whilst shut in his crate at night, by all means put the bedding in just at night time - but during the day, remove it.

Obviously make sure you wash the bedding thoroughly, in the machine, as hot as the bedding will allow...so that any residual smells are removed and won't encourage future 'marking'.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

If you want to get urine out of bedding, find an 'enzyme' cleaner. (Sorry, environment. :( )

Am not sure what brands in Ireland might have it - if it's not obvious, go raid the baby aisle in the supermarket - products designed to wash cloth nappies are usually enzyme-based.

The brand I use in Oz is Biozet but as I said I don't know if you can get it there. Enzyme washing powders are also very, very useful for cleaning up pet accidents in the house - I add about 1/4 scoop to a bucket of hot water, along with a splash of disinfectant, for mopping the tiles in the room where the pup sleeps (we still have some wetting accidents overnight).

I've also diluted some in a bucket of hot water for scrubbing carpet - my cats aren't accident prone in the house, thankfully, but the pup has wet on my living room carpet three times - but never the same spot on the carpet!! The trick with cleaning it is to use one of those super-absorbant kitchen towels on the pee until a dry piece of towel picks up literally no moisture whatsover. Then wet and scrub the area with a sponge in hot water and dilute enzymatic cleaner. Then rinse that over with clean warm water. Then dry it with repeat applications of kitchen towel again.

Now if I could just crack toilet training with my guy (...many difficulties - kept in confined filth for the first three months of his life, used to sitting in his own urine and faeces, delivered to a shelter in the boot of a car with his brother, both in their own mess in the car so god knows how long they'd been in there - that's given me a pup with whom crate training has been inappropriate up to now, and who's quite willing to sit in his own filth in confinement. Keeping him very clean has made him fussier, thankfully, but we're not there yet.)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭boardbrowser

Maybe something as simple as a scheduling issue.
    Take water up 3 hours before bedtime and last potty break within 5- 10 minutes of him getting put to bed for the night.
    Food rewards for each and every elimination outside for the next 3 weeks.

Advertisement