Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on a wireless card (USB)

• 14-10-2010 4:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭

Okay so I have a Sitecom USB adapter 54G Turbo g WL-172 #2 802.11 bg WLAN.

It's about 4 years old and I have a feeling it's not exactly the best one you can get. The problem really is that It keeps dropping out and can sometimes take forever to reconnect.

Please note: I have checked that my PC is not turning off the device to save power or anything like that. I posted a thread a while ago and nobdy seemed to know why it kept dropping out. I'm confident that the Wireless USB is the problem because my sisters laptop never drops out, I know it's a build in WLAN card and is expected to be stronger but still.

I've come to the conclusion that it's just on it's way out.

So I was thinking of heading Maplins or something during the week to pick up a new one. I just want to know, what one should I get that's Faster and better at picking up signals than my current one? I'm not sure how the b and g letters work on things like that. Also does it matter what router I have? It's a ZyXEL but my Wireless USB is Sitecom so I wouldn' think so.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭Crash Override

Bump

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

all wireless usb adapters are compatible with any router, and mostly support a/b/g and the new one is n.

i am guessing you have an old router which i mean doesnt support N, so make sure dont buy it as it will a little expensive.

to be honest any adapter should be fine, i myself use an adapter from the company called Buffalo. Not sure if they sell them in Maplin but pretty good and works fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭Crash Override

akamossie wrote: »

i am guessing you have an old router which i mean doesnt support N, so make sure dont buy it as it will a little expensive.

Did you mean that I shouldn't buy an 'n' Wireless card because my router is prob too old (which it is - ZyXEL p-600 series) to support 'n'?

I would be under the assumption that If I bought a Wireless card that supported 'n' , that it would support a/b/g as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

it does support all the bands a/b/g/n but it would too expensive and not getting much out of it, thats why i advise to buy a cheaper where it support a/b/g as your router is old

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

An 'n' card will work with a 'g' router but you won't get any advantage. An 'n' router will only run at 'n' speed if all connected devices are 'n'. Get a cheaper 'g' dongle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

Did you mean that I shouldn't buy an 'n' Wireless card because my router is prob too old (which it is - ZyXEL p-600 series) to support 'n'?

I would be under the assumption that If I bought a Wireless card that supported 'n' , that it would support a/b/g as well?

I would buy a 802.11n one off of ebay or dealextreme it'll cost you less then a tenner and should arrive within the week off of ebay (depending on the buyer) the n ones are pretty much the same price, so there are no advantages to buying a g card, just doesn't make sense.

It will be backwards compatable with g and b based networks as it uses the same frequency.

Advertisement