Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How ridiculous is this?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

Teutorix wrote: »
    No judge would allow a man be convicted of rape if it was drunken sex between two adults. Cite a case where this actually happened.

Sure, I'll ask my local judge; one sec. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

You said people had been convicted for it, so show some fúcking evidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

Teutorix wrote: »
    You said people had been convicted for it, so show some fúcking evidence.

Show some fu*king evidence where the case was thrown out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

With regards to the animal convicted for the attempted rape, he got 12 years with 3 suspended, has served 1 year on remand so this is back dated, so he's been handed an 8 year sentence.

Take into account his 25% remission he has to serve 6 years from today.

12 years suddenly becomes 6. What a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

burden of proof is on the claimant

semper necessitas probandi incumbit ei qui agit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

You stop trolling now or I will ban you.

Back on topic please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Maybe.. again it comes down to judges making suspect calls on certain cases. On the one hand they want there to be space in prisons so they hand down sentences which are far too lenient, and on the other hand they pass on sending mentally ill criminals to the proper facilities. It's a joke.. there seems to be no overall plan on what they want to achieve. People get all hot and bothered if it's suggested that the President step in and sort it out, even though she's the one who appoints judges and the only one with the power to do anything.

I'm actually not sure the law provides for the situation, tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Nodin wrote: »
    I'm actually not sure the law provides for the situation, tbh.

I think it allows the president to dismiss judges under certain circumstances.. not too sure what the circumstances are but I'd hope that one would be to preserve the integrity of Irish law. Even if no law allows for it, why isn't there changes being brought in too change that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

I heard this on the radio today and joked that yer man would of gotten less time if he actually committed the rape...thing is I could of been right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Even if no law allows for it, why isn't there changes being brought in too change that?

Again, something I've no answer to. I've never understood it, and never heard it raised in the Dail either (which doesn't mean it didn't happen, admittedly).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

I think it allows the president to dismiss judges under certain circumstances.. not too sure what the circumstances are but I'd hope that one would be to preserve the integrity of Irish law. Even if no law allows for it, why isn't there changes being brought in too change that?

Two bases.. (1) Stated misbehaviour. No real definition of that though, as far as what 'misbehaviour' could mean. Accused of serious crimes I suppose. Perhaps treasonous remarks from the bench. It's a grey area. AFAIK only been used once, back in the 1800's for a judge basically pocketing fines and bonds for himself.

(2) Incapacity to judge - if the judge is seriously ill/ becomes mentally ill/ develops a serious addiciton etc.

The idea of reprimanding a judge to 'preserve the integrity of Irish law' sort of goes against our Common Law system. If you believe the judge in any given case has veered too far one way or the other with regard to Irish law you can appeal.

The call for the removal has to go through the Dáil and the Seannad... the usual course of action if for the judge to resign before it gets all the way though. That has happened a few times. Jump or be pushed.

RVP 11 wrote: »
    Reason being kids are cruel and look for any reason to be centre of attention and make funny statements to get a laugh.
    A bit like yourself i might add.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

So with good behaviour he could be out in 5 years?

I think thats right, that they can get 1/3 off their sentence for that. If true its a joke.

Perhaps I'm completely wide of the mark by suggesting this, but is remission for good behaviour a cost cutting measure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

orourkeda wrote: »
    Perhaps I'm completely wide of the mark by suggesting this, but is remission for good behaviour a cost cutting measure.

The problem is the remission for good behaviour is automatic. Rewarding people for behaving like prisoners should to begin with. The whole system is arseways.

Advertisement